IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Properly mixing color
Astroboy
post Mar 22 2016, 03:55 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7250

Hey gang, I finally discovered an easy way to align images of various celestial targets taken at slightly different times! I used a plugin for ImageJ called bUnwarpJ. I'm really pleased with most of the results I've gotten so far. I've noticed that the receding limb sometimes doesn't warp as well as the approaching limb, though. That's something I still need to figure out, along with mosaicking and the issue I'm about to bring up.

Anyway, to celebrate performing this pretty rudimentary image processing task for the first time, I tried aligning Dawn images taken through filters 2, 7 and 8 (corresponding roughly to green, red and blue) using .img files I had converted to .gif through NasaView. The thing is, my resulting color images keep coming out looking incredibly garish. One attempt ended up with a bright pink Ceres.

I've noticed a lot of raw NASA images, calibrated or uncalibrated, vary incredibly wildly with respect to brightness, and even across images taken through the same filter with the same exposure. How am I supposed to rectify this, or even begin to know what to do? This has been driving me crazy for a while. I know there's no such thing as "true" color, that color is subjective, etc., but I've always assumed that a given combination of three frames taken through three different filters can be mixed in a specific way that is scientifically useful, predictable, and proper or something.

I guess what I'm asking is, how do you guys decide on how much of each filter to use when mixing color?

--------------------
aka the Vidiconvict
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:24 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.