85 Pages V  « < 58 59 60 61 62 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Kepler Mission
dilo
post Apr 27 2011, 05:24 PM
Post #886

Group: Members
Member No.: 150

Sorry for silly question, why I still cannot see >1000 Kepler planets on any public Exoplanet database like following ones?
http://exoplanets.org/
http://exoplanet.eu/index.php
http://planetquest.jpl.nasa.gov/
Perhaps because they still unconfirmed "candidates" or what else?
Moreover, I see lot of posts containing data/plots with these candidates, where can I find original source?

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Apr 27 2011, 05:56 PM
Post #887

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (dilo @ Apr 27 2011, 01:24 PM) *
....still unconfirmed "candidates" or what else?

That seems to be what the third site you link is saying in a March 7, 2011 news release.
"All of Kepler's candidate planets await verification from ground-based observatories."

+Quote Post
dilo
post Apr 27 2011, 06:28 PM
Post #888

Member No.: 150

Thanks, centsworth_II, I missed it... in the meantime, I found also the candidates list:
http://kepler.nasa.gov/Mission/discoveries/candidates/

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Apr 27 2011, 08:08 PM
Post #889

Member No.: 4270

QUOTE ("dilo")
Moreover, I see lot of posts containing data/plots with these candidates, where can I find original source?

QUOTE ("Hungry4info")
One could just look through the paper that listed all 1,235 planet candidates, their radii, and the radii of their host stars...
http://arxiv.org/abs/1102.0541

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
Rob Pinnegar
post Apr 27 2011, 09:19 PM
Post #890

Member No.: 426

QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ Apr 27 2011, 07:48 AM) *
I think a star with 80 times the mass of the sun but only one ten-thousandth the luminosity just isn't trying very hard.

Dahhh!!! I meant 80 Jupiter masses, of course. This has been fixed, for what it's worth.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Apr 27 2011, 10:28 PM
Post #891

Member No.: 542

I've been similarly confused many times. Earth mass Jupiter mass and Solar mass are all regularly used as units for exoplanets and brown dwarfs. They're on a par with 'an area the size of Wales'. How many people actually know the conversions between them? It's a pain. Let's stick to kg.

+Quote Post
AndyG
post Apr 27 2011, 10:49 PM
Post #892

Member No.: 279

300 Earths is near enough a Jupiter, and 1000 Jupiters just about 1 Sol. It seems to me that Jupiter is reasonably well-placed for defining the relative masses of BDs, smaller stars and giant exoplanets.

The problem with kg is with those pesky scientific notations, and the ease of which you can mentally miscalculate by a magnitude (or two)!

Andy

+Quote Post
Habitable Zoner
post May 26 2011, 12:25 PM
Post #893

Member No.: 5210

As most have heard by now, there have been at least two interesting Kepler announcements at the AAS 218 meeting, one dealing with the abundance of multi-planet systems, the other an announcement of the hot super-earth Kepler 10c. The press releases are available on the Kepler website. The first announcement, "Kepler’s Astounding Haul of Multiple Planet Systems," has a very cool animation showing the systems. The second, "Kepler-10c and a New Method to Validate Planets," discusses the Blender technique of validating candidates. Archives of the presentations, including slides, are available on the site.

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post May 26 2011, 09:26 PM
Post #894

Member No.: 424

QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Apr 27 2011, 01:56 PM) *
That seems to be what the third site you link is saying in a March 7, 2011 news release.
"All of Kepler's candidate planets await verification from ground-based observatories."

"All our candidates is belong to ...."

TTT (sorry)

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post May 27 2011, 01:09 AM
Post #895

Member No.: 590

This article (refered to in the links above) has an excellent account of what they do to try to validate a candidate planet.

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1105/1105.4647v1.pdf

I feel I have a much better understanding of why it takes them so long, but it also sounds like (from this and some of the other papers) they've got the hang of it now, so I expect we'll see results coming more quickly now.

But there's some GREAT stuff here!

--Greg

+Quote Post
Syrinx
post Jun 8 2011, 06:48 AM
Post #896

Member No.: 4168

Not strictly Kepler related, but MIT recently hosted distinguished speakers who each gave short presentations on the topic of exoplanets. The presentations were recorded and are available for streaming.

http://amps-web.amps.ms.mit.edu/public/EAP...oPlanets-may27/

There are four videos, each about an hour in duration. I've watched the first two. The second video ("Stars and Planets Within our Reach") features Geoff Marcy's opinions on TPF / the decadal survey / NASA in general, and also Sara Seager's CubeSat program "ExoplanetSat" of which I was not previously aware.

+Quote Post
Syrinx
post Jun 18 2011, 01:24 AM
Post #897

Member No.: 4168

Mission Manager Update arrived today:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/kepler/n...m-20110617.html

The health of the spacecraft and photometer, the instrument used to measure changes in the brightness of distant stars, is excellent and has recorded more than two months of routine operations in this quarter. The observing efficiency in Quarter 9, which is April through June 2011, has been above 97 percent due to two very efficient monthly science data downlinks in April and May-- 16.6 hours and 15.2 hours, the quickest yet! Coupled with no unplanned breaks in collecting science data, it has been a strong quarter so far. [...]

performance of Ka band downlink between the spacecraft and the Deep Space Network ground stations has been excellent. Greater than 99 percent of science data reaches the ground on the first attempt. [...]

in May, the team completed a file uplink to the spacecraft to mitigate the root causes of the anomalies encountered during Quarter 8 operations. [...]

To date, the downlink rate operates at the maximum Ka band rate of 4.3 Mbps. [...]

The latest estimates show the spacecraft is equipped with enough propellant for the thrusters to last for an additional eight years.

+Quote Post
Drkskywxlt
post Jun 18 2011, 11:09 AM
Post #898

Member No.: 1083

Eight years!?! blink.gif

Awesome! cool.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 18 2011, 08:12 PM
Post #899

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Yes, that's exciting news! We should have a VERY good dataset by end of mission, and ultimately a much more accurate estimate of planetary population than we'd hoped.

Good times, good times.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jun 18 2011, 09:59 PM
Post #900

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

Here's to our Kepler and eight more years of successful Kepling!

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post

85 Pages V  « < 58 59 60 61 62 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:53 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.