Post #511

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Aug 29 2007, 09:18 PM) *
We should rename IMG2PNG as "The Bjorn Supremacy."

Grrrrooooooaaaaannnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Aug 30 2007, 03:07 AM
Post #512

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Aug 26 2007, 04:12 PM) *
I still think a small compressor, a thin-walled tank (since it doesn't have to hold that much pressure) and a series of lightweight tubes arrayed at crucial spots around the solar panels makes the most sense. A couple of kg mass investment lets you create your own cleaning events.

-the other Doug

GREAT IDEA!!

BONUS: Mount it on a robot arm, and you could also use it to gently blow away dust from RAT'd rocks, blow away dust in bad places (or wheels or vehicle cams), or even blow down into sand layers (digging down), and also check out how crusted the surfaces are, or even the mobility of surface gravels, berries, sand grains, and dust grains.

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Aug 30 2007, 05:40 PM
Post #513

Guests

QUOTE (Juramike @ Aug 29 2007, 05:07 PM) *
GREAT IDEA!!

It might be a "GREAT IDEA!!" but whether it's practical or even doable is another matter. There are many great ideas (and an equal or greater number of bad ones) that never make it off the drawing boards or past the animations. Even if one accepts "the other" Doug's characterization of such a cleaning system as merely costing "[a] couple of kg mass," bear in mind that in this business, ounces count.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Aug 30 2007, 05:53 PM
Post #514

Too true.

How about a tiltable or foldable solar array? A few flicks or turning it to vertical might be able to shake dust off?

A tilting solution for the array would probably be much smaller and lightweight to add on than a compressor and tank: (worm gear drive?, few bonus hinges and struts?). The will allow some directional tilt (not in all directions). This could also allow the future rover to stay reasonably in place rather than having to find the perfect slope to park. (It might still have to swivel in place to get the right angle in conjunction with tilting the array).

There'd have to be a decent cost/benefit analysis done to see if a solution would justify the weight. But at least we could use the number of times the current rovers needed to be moved into favorable position to help figure the benefit.

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
tty
post Aug 30 2007, 05:53 PM
Post #515

Member No.: 273

Building a small, light, low-powered and very reliable compressor that will work in sub-antarctic temperatures and what would be considered a pretty fair laboratory vacuum here on Earth is NOT a trivial engineering task.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 30 2007, 05:58 PM
Post #516

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Juramike @ Aug 30 2007, 06:53 PM) *
How about a tiltable or foldable solar array?

My TV screen is vertical...and the dust doesn't fall of. Nor will it fall off if I shake it. Same would probably be true of the rovers.

The answers are RTG's when you can use them - and potentially electrostatic methods when you can't - which have no moving parts at all smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Aug 30 2007, 06:20 PM
Post #517

Guests

QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 30 2007, 07:58 AM) *
The answers are RTG's when you can use them - and potentially electrostatic methods when you can't - which have no moving parts at all smile.gif

A pithy way of restating this is "a good solution to a problem is to avoid the problem."

Or, as the stale joke goes:

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts my arm when I do this [raises arm]."

Doctor: "Then don't raise your arm. Okay, we're finished here. That'll be $200 for the medical consult."

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Aug 30 2007, 06:32 PM
Post #518

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 30 2007, 09:58 AM) *
My TV screen is vertical...and the dust doesn't fall of. Nor will it fall off if I shake it.

If you have ceiling fans in your home this problem is even more evident. I have the one in my bedroom running at full speed most nights and it builds up thick dust every couple of weeks. Even the substantial centrifugal forces on the ends of the blades seem to have a negligible effect on the dust. I was making this very observation to my wife this past weekend as I climbed a ladder to clean it off. She said, "You are the only one I know who would notice or care about something like that."

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Aug 30 2007, 06:35 PM
Post #519

QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 30 2007, 01:58 PM) *
My TV screen is vertical...and the dust doesn't fall of. Nor will it fall off if I shake it. Same would probably be true of the rovers.

Doug

Hmmm. Good points.

But even with an RTG, there will be some dust accumulation where you don't want it: camera lenses (as we're seeing), and in all those itchy nooks and crannies.

-Mike

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Aug 30 2007, 06:45 PM
Post #520

Guests

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Aug 30 2007, 08:32 AM) *
She said, "You are the only one I know who would notice or care about something like that."

If it were me, my wife would have been more surprised by the mere fact that I was actually cleaning off the fan.

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Aug 30 2007, 07:48 PM
Post #521

Member No.: 103

Fans need to be cleaned?

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 30 2007, 07:55 PM
Post #522

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Got a desktop PC that's been sat on the floor for > a month? Go and look at it's PSU exhaust fan. FILTHY.

Doug

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Aug 30 2007, 08:59 PM
Post #523

According to the Mrs., I'm only able to notice dust on or orbiting planets other than Earth.

-Mike

--------------------

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post Aug 31 2007, 12:26 AM
Post #524

Member No.: 1638

QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 30 2007, 08:55 PM) *
Got a desktop PC that's been sat on the floor for > a month? Go and look at it's PSU exhaust fan. FILTHY.

OK, I looked and yes, it is filthy, but then it has been running 24/7 for almost 12 months*. If you find your fans are filthy with dust after only a month, you may want to acquaint yourself with Mr. Hoover or Mrs. Dyson a little more often. wink.gif

* Its annual shutdown for dust clean-out is scheduled for the first Monday every September. This year, that falls on Sept. 3 - my birthday. What fun I will have. blink.gif

--------------------
"I got a call from NASA Headquarters wanting a color picture of Venus. I said, “What color would you like it?” - Laurance R. Doyle, former JPL image processing guy

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post Aug 31 2007, 12:28 AM
Post #525

Member No.: 1638

QUOTE (Juramike @ Aug 30 2007, 07:35 PM) *
But even with an RTG, there will be some dust accumulation where you don't want it: camera lenses (as we're seeing), and in all those itchy nooks and crannies.

It's worth remembering that an RTG's output can be degraded by dust accumulation on the radiator fins. On MSL, the RTG is angled to (hopefully) reduce such deposition.

--------------------
"I got a call from NASA Headquarters wanting a color picture of Venus. I said, “What color would you like it?” - Laurance R. Doyle, former JPL image processing guy

+Quote Post

37 Pages V  « < 33 34 35 36 37 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:09 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.