9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
WISE, a mission that will find ALL the neighbours
alan
post Jul 10 2010, 08:49 PM
Post #91

Group: Members
Member No.: 110

I recall reading that the aim is changed to avoid the moon when is at first and last quarter. I suspect they get picked up the next time the moon reaches those phases.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Jul 17 2010, 01:47 AM
Post #92

Member No.: 590

They updated the text on the page that shows progress. (Now at 99.5%)

http://wise.ssl.berkeley.edu/sky_coverage.html

They say the red stripes result from the moon-avoidance strategy. No mention of the off blue strip, but, somehow, they're covering it now, and they say they'll be at 100% tomorrow.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2010-238

Some highlights:

more than one million images so far
more than 100,000 asteroids, both known and previously unseen
more than 90 new near-Earth objects
more than a dozen new comets
The first release of WISE data, covering about 80 percent of the sky, will be delivered to the astronomical community in May of next year.

Also today, they released a new pic of the Pleiades:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/WISE/new...se20100716.html

Cool stuff!

--Greg

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Jul 29 2010, 01:18 AM
Post #93

Member No.: 590

The WISE coverage map has become much more colorful:

http://wise.ssl.berkeley.edu/sky_coverage.html

I wonder what the "16x" factor means? Does it actually mean that the point was imaged on 16 different orbits?

--Greg

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 29 2010, 01:51 AM
Post #94

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I would have thought so - notice the density increasing to the poles. It would have imaged, roughly speaking, the same spot over the north pole every single orbit just about

+Quote Post
Gsnorgathon
post Jul 30 2010, 12:35 AM
Post #95

Member No.: 156

It's my understanding that folks looking for planets, comets, KBOs, &c. don't observe high above the ecliptic so much, because of the lesser likelihood of finding anything there. I'm curious to see if WISE manages to snag some interesting findings, especially since it's got so much polar coverage.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 30 2010, 12:40 AM
Post #96

Member No.: 523

There should be a higher probability it will be a comet if they find anything there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jul 30 2010, 03:51 AM
Post #97

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

It's also a higher probability it's a NEO. With modest inclinations, if they're close enough, they'll still appear at high angles to the ecliptic.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Bill
post Aug 1 2010, 07:48 AM
Post #98

Member No.: 4798

I find these informations on the comet section of British Astronomical Association, http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~jds/ :
Jul 23 WISE discovers asteroid in retrograde orbit
Jul 30 WISE discovers short period retrograde asteroid

Any more informations about these discoveries ?

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 1 2010, 08:11 AM
Post #99

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

A short-period retrograde asteroid?

Wow. That might be the first such ever discovered, esp. if the orbit's anywhere close to the ecliptic plane. Hopefully more info will be forthcoming.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Aug 1 2010, 09:51 PM
Post #100

Member No.: 557

The July 23rd discovery was asteroid 2010 OR1, which has a period about 30 years and an inclination around 143 degrees.

The July 30th discovery most likely was actually a reobservation of asteroid 2010 LG61, which was discovered by WISE back in June, but whose orbit at the time was nearly impossible to fit properly. They originally thought it was very small, in a prograde Aten type orbit. WISE got an additional look on the 26th which finally got the orbit right. It is a much larger rock than they thought with a period around 19 years (this is short period?) and inclined 123.7 degrees.

I can find no other candidate for the July 30th asteroid.

These are impressive, but not record holders. Other examples would be the recently discovered 2010 EB46, found by the Catalina Sky Survey back in March, which has a period 16.7 years and an inclination of 156 degrees, both of which best 2010 LG61. Then you have 2008 SO218, which beats out 2010 OR1 both on period (23 years) and on inclination, which is 170.4 degrees and nearly in the ecliptic going backwards.

+Quote Post
Gsnorgathon
post Aug 2 2010, 10:42 PM
Post #101

Member No.: 156

Hey, thanks for blowing my mind, guys! I had no idea there were short-period retrograde objects. Is the basic idea that these objects started out as long-period retrograde comets and got herded into shorter orbits by Jupiter, or is there a more interesting story behind any of them?

(I note with great amusement that the first-discovered was named Dioretsa! [Retrograde? Dioretsa... think about it.])

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 2 2010, 11:20 PM
Post #102

Merciless Robot

I am likewise impressed & enlightened, Holder! (Yeah, diggin' the name, Gsnorg... biggrin.gif )

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
brellis
post Aug 3 2010, 03:23 AM
Post #103

Member No.: 1700

Dioretsa am I? I'm a asteroid! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 3 2010, 03:32 AM
Post #104

Merciless Robot

This thing's worth a mission just for the hours of nomenclature fun to be had mapping it. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Aug 11 2010, 04:04 PM
Post #105

Member No.: 557

WISE has depleted the coolant in one of its two tanks, and has begun warming up. One detector no longer functioning. All others working for now, and expected to work for some time.

Cooling status report

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:18 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.