IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Moderated Section

There are many members of this forum who are published authors or have developed specific products that may hold a particular interest for members.
UMSF and The Planetary Society (TPS) do not endorse, warrant, or otherwise guarantee the books and products in this section, nor will UMSF and TPS be held responsible for or participate in disputes between buyers and sellers. UMSF and TPS receive no financial consideration for these books or products save those which may be specifically offered for sale by those organizations.
• Entries in this section will require an administrator or moderator approval.
• Please feel free to contact any of the team if you would like to have something added.
• Please note that attempts to post new books or products without seeking permission will result in posts being deleted and possible suspension.
• Once a topic has started, you are free to discuss as normal.

11 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
coming soon..., books to be published soon
aconnell
post Jul 2 2012, 06:28 PM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 3893

Hi all. Does anyone know when the English edition of 'Lune' by Olivier De Goursac is to be published? Amazon UK had a release date of June 30 2012, but that came and went and now they say they don't know when it will become available. sad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
monitorlizard
post Aug 8 2012, 03:48 AM
Post #122

Member No.: 381

UPDATE: Amazon.com now lists Phil Stooke's "International Atlas of Mars Exploration" book as having a release date of September 30, 2012. That seems fairly realistic in light of information we've seen previously in this thread, so it might hold.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 8 2012, 11:07 PM
Post #123

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I don't have any more specific information... I'll just wait for the royalties to start pouring in.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Aug 28 2012, 12:17 PM
Post #124

Member No.: 1004

Robotic Exploration of the Solar System Part 3 (Covering Cassini to the MERs) is now available on Amazon (and for download on the Springer site)

+Quote Post
gwiz
post Sep 2 2012, 09:32 AM
Post #125

Member No.: 4697

Amazon delivered my copy yesterday, many thanks for yet another comprehensive episode of the story.

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Sep 2 2012, 09:59 AM
Post #126

QUOTE (gwiz @ Sep 2 2012, 11:32 AM) *
many thanks for yet another comprehensive episode of the story.

thanks, that's very kind of you. BTW, my author's copies have not yet landed in my "boite à lettres"

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Sep 5 2012, 07:00 AM
Post #127

Member No.: 5221

I think I found a (minor) error in Part 1: near the start (on page xxvii), it is written that Mercury's mass was determined by how it gravitational affects Eros, but that can't be right since Eros is a Mars-crossing asteroid, so its orbit definitely does not take it close to Mercury...
Was it some other body?

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Sep 5 2012, 05:03 PM
Post #128

well spotted. I checked my references and it should have been Icarus

+Quote Post
monitorlizard
post Sep 29 2012, 01:38 PM
Post #129

Member No.: 381

Just received Phil Stooke's "International Atlas of Mars Exploration" book from Amazon.com (USA). It was actually released September 24. This is an incredible reference work. I've been collecting Mars exploration publications for decades and I was amazed at how much this book contains that I had never seen before. No doubt many images/figures were the result of Phil's own work (and a lot of it). There's minimal information on Mars spacecraft (there are lots of other books for that), just endless images of Mars itself and proposed landing sites, instrument coverage plots, annotated photos from landers, etc. I was a bit disappointed that there were no color figures, but that's probably because I grew up in the psychedelic sixties. A very minor disappointment at any rate.

Congratulations on a job very well done, Phil. I recommend every Mars enthusiast buy this book so he will be encouraged to complete Volume 2! I can't say enough about how great this is (and I'm not even related to Phil).

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 2 2012, 09:44 PM
Post #130

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Nov 2 2011, 01:14 PM) *
I'm very pleased to be able to say that my Mars book, The International Atlas of Mars Exploration (subtitle: The First Five Decades: 1953 to 2003) is now complete and ready to ship to the publisher.

I just got a press release about it from your University, and fired an email off to CUP -- they are shipping me a review copy smile.gif

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 2 2012, 10:19 PM
Post #131

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

... and I got my copies today as well. Right now I am following Opportunity as it leaves Victoria and heads out into the wilderness. I'll post a few Opportunity goodies when I get a chance. Every stop has to be checked for location with one of my circular pans. Every stop!

Thanks for the kind words, monitorlizard.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Stu
post Dec 17 2012, 10:40 AM
Post #132

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

My new book - "Comets, Asteroids and Meteors", part of the 'Astronaut Travel Guide' series published by Raintree, which emily recently reviewed on her blog in her annual round-up of kids astronomy books - is finally out. The cat is very impressed by my latest publication, as you can see...

Attached Image

Still, as they say on the ads, it's the "purrfect gift for Christmas"... laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
NGC3314
post Jan 13 2013, 12:40 AM
Post #133

Member No.: 3958

Either coming soon or now available - I saw a complete copy of the series at the Long Beach AAS meeting. Springer is publishing a 6-volume series, Planets, Stars and Stellar Systems, which was conceived as more or less a combination of the coverage of the University of Chicago series on Stars and Stellar Systems and the Solar System from the 1960s and 1970s, for the new century. They seem to have finally broken down and offered to sell them individually, although at $500 a volume most access will naturally be via academic libraries or other institutions with online access bundles. (The staff must have gotten tired of my grousing, but short of firing me and finding a new editor they sort of had to put up with it). Most people here will not be so much interested in the volume I edited (shameless plug: Extragalactic Astronomy and Cosmology), but in Vol. 3 on Solar and Stellar Planetary Systems, edited by Linda French and Paul Kalas. There are substantial review chapters by Nadine Barlow, David Stevenson, Nancy Chanover, Fran Bagenal, Matt Tiscareno, Andrew Rivkin, Scott Gaudi, Jason Wright, Andrew Youdin, Scott Kenyon, Amaya Moro-Martin, and Alessandro Moridelli.

Versions of some of these are on arxiv, linked to authors above.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jul 7 2013, 04:46 PM
Post #134

Member No.: 5221

Not a book, but new trailer for Stephen van Vuuren's movie. He had some help from folks here, and it shows!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNce_8WHTGc

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Jul 6 2014, 06:56 PM
Post #135

I'm happy to report that my latest book "Robotic Exploration of the Solar System - part 4" covering all missions from 2004 to 2013 is finally off to the printer!

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd April 2024 - 01:52 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.