4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mars Express Results
cndwrld
post Mar 6 2014, 10:17 AM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 1743

Mars Express released an article on two distinct volcanic eruptions that have flooded an area of Mar's Daedalia Planum with lava, flowing around an elevated fragment of ancient terrain. The article is
at this link.

Ooooh, 3D picture, too.

--------------------
--
cndwrld@yahoo.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Mar 7 2014, 02:31 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 424

I didn't see an article (or a link to an article) at the URL that you posted, but I guess you were referring to http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Sc..._plains_of_Mars

Thanks for your work in sharing the results of Mars Express with us.

TTT

+Quote Post
cndwrld
post Mar 7 2014, 09:20 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 1743

Sorry about the bad link. Your link certainly works fine, Tom, and is the correct one.

--------------------
--
cndwrld@yahoo.com

+Quote Post
serpens
post Mar 7 2014, 10:12 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 4605

QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Feb 12 2014, 03:21 AM) *
Not around the crater, but I've marked what looks like flow out of the crater. Was the crater like an overflowing well?

I don't think that the ESA interpretation stands up under scrutiny and I have to support OWW's contention that the crater overlays a pre-existing water flow structure. The terrain slopes from left to right which fits the flow indications across the image. It is hard to accept that an impact creating a 20 kilometre crater could melt huge volumes of ice hundreds of kilometres away so the flow indicators alone deny the crater as a source. I suspect that the apparent crater overflow features you marked reflect elements of the pre-existing flow structure that presented a weaker barrier to the crater surge. A depositional rather than erosional feature.

+Quote Post
Ron Hobbs
post May 21 2015, 03:22 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 745

This is Cool!!

Impact crater or Supervolcano?

This seems like a good place to put this. Maybe it deserves its own topic. I would love see some discussion.

Quote: "Without any doubt, more data and high-resolution coverage – and even in situ sampling – would be necessary to resolve this mystery. And since the gases released in supervolcano eruptions could have had significant effects on the martian climate, this is a topic of great interest."

+Quote Post
Ron Hobbs
post May 21 2015, 03:43 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 745

The idea of supervolcanoes on Mars was new to me, but it is not new to science. A search here indicates that this has not been posted here, so here a couple of cool links from results that were published in Nature in 2013.

NASA Release: Mars Crater May Actually be a Supervolcano

Nature Release: Giant depressions may be ancient eruptions

I found this really cool video from Nature. Supervolcanoes on Mars

This seems to be a wonderful example of research on Mars increasing the understanding of our own planet.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:56 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.