IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
I'm back from the Europa Focus Group meeting...
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Mar 1 2006, 07:33 AM
Post #1

Guests

...which I decided to attend literally at the last possible minute, which is why I didn't alert you guys in advance. Very interesting -- both the discussions about the likely design of the mission (and how to retrieve it from cancellation), and many of the actual science presentations (which aren't on the Web yet, although they probably soon will be). I'll give you some more information tomorrow -- although I can't resist telling Alex that Tom Spilker's subgroup took my ideas about a Europa penetrator, and the printed information I gave them on the subject, seriously enough to recommend making further inquiries to NASA HQ on it. (And without my browbeating them, either. Nyaah.) The case for it, however, is still extremely far from certain.

As I say, more tomorrow.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 2 2006, 01:43 AM
Post #2

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Standing by for that update, Bruce... unsure.gif...

...and, while I'm dreaming, how about a broad-spectrum "geophone" as part of the penetrometer science package? Imagine the acoustical effects of Europa's tidal stress used as a multipurpose data source for ice crust property determination...to say nothing of noises made by any Europan whale-analogs propagating through the ice... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Mar 2 2006, 09:01 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 174

Viking Lander 2 provided essentially no information on martian seismicity, but it did provide essential data on how to design a seismic network optimized for Mars.

Any experiment, even single-channel, short-lived data, that can provide as broad-band as possible data on Europa's seismic/acoustic spectrum and it's variations with time will similarly provide essential data for a future penetrator-based seismic/geophysical net.

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Mar 2 2006, 02:11 PM
Post #4

Guests

One advantage of a penetrator is precisely that it provides better seismic coupling -- although, in the case of Europa, this is probably the least of its fringe benefits. More important is that it:

(1) Is the only conceivable type of lightweight hard lander that can punch down below Europa's radiation-scrambled surface layer to reach possible recognizable biological remains.

(2) Can use the ice itself to shield itself from Jupiter's radiation for a fairly long lifetime.

(3) Is much lighter than a full-fledged soft lander -- or even an airbag hard lander.

(4) Can land on rough surfaces.

The big catch with a penetrator, however, is whether it can (1) point itself nose downward accurately enough without an atmosphere to avoid hitting the surface with its nose pointed at a slew ("angle of attack"), and (2) deal properly with hitting a sloping surface ("incidence angle"). Europa seems to have a very rugged surface; its AVERAGE surface slope seems to be about 12 degrees. This was the continuing point of dispute at the conference -- quite rightly -- and it remains uncertain to me, too (although it turns out that the Deep Space 2 probes were designed explicitly to deal with this problem, and their solution might work at Europa too).

Anyway, more on all this shortly. As I say, it was a VERY interesting conference, with a definite sprinkling of new scientific news (notably on Europan surface composition) -- and it seems to have reached some genuine initial conclusions about the feasibility, purpose and design of any lightweight piggyback lander that might possibly be carried on the Europa Orbiter.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Mar 2 2006, 02:20 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Mar 2 2006, 03:11 PM) *
The big catch with a penetrator, however, is whether it can (1) point itself nose downward accurately enough without an atmosphere to avoid hitting the surface with its nose pointed at a slew ("angle of attack"), and (2) deal properly with hitting a sloping surface ("incidence angle"). Europa seems to have a very rugged surface; its AVERAGE surface slope seems to be about 12 degrees.

IIRC, someone recently mentioned that (2) is not an issue at all. A penetrator could survive a wide range of incidence angles as long as point (1) held, that is -- the axis of the penetrator is precisely aligned with its velocity vector.
Whether or not the surface impact is at an oblique angle is apparently much less of a factor.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 2 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #6

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I'm having difficulty imagining a Europa impactor.

You'd have to have active attitude control, thus either hydrazine thrusters, or perhaps some cold-gas thrusters to maintain attitude for the nose-first impact.

You've not got the budget, I assume, for much delta V to slow the thing down before impact - so we're talking a very VERY fast impact - are we talking straight in from approach, or a deorbit manouver after arrival? The former might be several km/s - the later is going to be a very low angle of impact. ( I assume you want the later so some sort of targetting can be planned from high res imagery )

A 355km Europa Orbit is something like 1.3 km/sec orbital speed.

If you do a deorbit manouver of say, 100m/sec, your impact would be at about 5 degrees and more like 1.5 km/sec

Given that attitude control would require some sort of pressure vessel, be it cold gas or liquid prop, you're going to have an explosion on impact of some sort.

DS2 heritage is 1) not too great because let's not forget, DS2 was a failure for whatever reason. 2) the speed of impact is going to be an order of magnitude higher unless you take some sort of decelleration propulsion, in which case the mass is going to be an order of magnitude higher. 3) DS2 was passively orientated and required no active attitude control for entry or impact.

We're talking RTG (as you mention a long life span) which means a fairly heavy craft before we even think about anything else, and the rtg's going to have to be built like the proverbial brick out house to survive the thing going in. Plus the fact that we're talking about highly sensitive biological experiments - which don't really like hundreds of G.

I'd really really like to see something like this - but I struggle to see how an impactor probe would work out there.

I have to say - it's a very very long shot - the sort of long shot that'd I'd expect you to lambast for being totally outside the realms of sensibility Bruce smile.gif

If there are specific design details around, I'd love to see some - see how they're proposing this thing.

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Mar 2 2006, 05:48 PM
Post #7

Guests

What we're talking about is similar to Paul Lucey's design for his "Polar Night" lunar penetrator mission. (It's no accident that he shares my enthusiasm for the possibility of a Europa penetrator.) To wit: you put the penetrator into an orbit with a periapse only 2 km or so above Europa's surface, use a liquid-fueled retropackage to cancel out ALL of its orbital velocity at that point (about 1.8 km/second for both Luna and Europa), use gas jets to point the penetrator nose-down and spin it up for stabilization, then detach the propulsion module and simply let the penetrator drop, to hit the surface at about 75-100 meters/second. (The simpler "Jovian Moon Impactor", aka the "bowling ball" -- which seems to be the Penetrator's main rival now as a piggyback lander concept for Europa Orbiter -- would do exactly the same thing, except that it wouldn't bother with attitude control after the deorbit engine shut off.) They refer to the technique as "stop-and-drop".

Clearly you need both a lot of deorbit fuel (ALL vehicle concepts that descend and land from Europa orbit are about 50% fuel, with full-fledged soft-landers requiring only slightly more), and a good guidance and control system. The latter may be the catch -- you need to cancel out the penetrator's forward orbital speed very accurately, AND point it nose-down with high accuracy. Lucey thinks it's doable for acceptably low cost -- and the Discovery review board that appraised his concept reached a similar conclusion -- but obviously this is still open to debate. The sources I've read say that a 5 degree error in angle of attack (e.g., the penetrator's nose is slewed up to 5 degrees from straight down) is acceptable -- but Europa's surface may be much harder than the regolith that lunar and Martian penetrators must cope with. William Moore said he'd heard that "1 or 2 degrees" was a more accurate estimate of the acceptable pointing error -- and of course you must also make sure you totally cancel out the penetrator's forward orbital velocity as precisely as possible.

Even if your penetrator is going straight down, you also have the problem of hitting a sloping surface ("incidence angle"), which as I say may also be a good deal more likely on Europa than for the Moon and Mars. This problem is indeed lesser, although it is by no means trivial. But I discovered just yesterday that the Deep Space 2 penetrators were explicitly designed to deal with these problems, and the fact that they were cruddily constructed and tested does not mean that their solution is unworkable. You use a wide, flat surface contact plate with a hole in its middle, and the penetrator perched in a cylindrical sleeve above that hole. If the vehicle hits the surface at a moderate angle, one side of the plate will hit the surface first, and the plate will then of course instantly tip so that it's lying flat against the surface -- and only then does the plate come to a stop (with the penetrator being pointed normal to the surface), and the penetrator's own inertia then carries it through the hole and down into the surface. There's a picture of the concept at http://www.nasatech.com/Briefs/Oct98/NPO20295.html . Depending on which Web document you read, the DS-2 penetrators were intended to deal with surface slopes up to 20, 27 or 30 degrees, and angle of attack errors of 9, 10 or 12 degrees -- at which point we're in the range needed for a Europa penetrator.

There is another problem: the possible sheer hardness of Europa's surface. I hadn't appreciated until the meeting just how shallow Europa's regolith layer is thought to be, since the satellite apparently resurfaced itself only about 60 million years ago and has only been re-accumulating impact regolith since then. The regolith is likely to be no more than a meter or so deep anywhere on the surface, and in the freshest parts of the surface -- which are just where we want to land -- it will be a good deal shallower than that. Such areas may even be virtually bare, solid ice -- and ice at Europa's cryogenic temperatures is as hard as concrete.

The DS-2 penetrators were designed to survive crashing into permafrost, but not into solid rock. However, they were also deliberately blunt-tipped -- presumably to minimize their burial distance -- and a sharper-nosed penetrator could be a good deal more durable. One 1979 test in which penetrators were crashed onto solid rocks found that "Only large single rocks greater than 10 times the penetrator diameter caused deflections appreciably greater than 10 degrees...No catastrophic failure of the penetrator occurred during these tests." And a 2004 Sandia Labs document says that "Penetrators have recently been successfully tested into concrete targets at striking velocities approaching the rigid body limit of approximately 4000 ft/sec."

Another problem may be the penetrator's afterbody, containing its relay antenna, which you want to leave on the surface, connected to the penetrator by a cable. In the case of the general DS-2 type design, the afterbody would actually be the cylindrical sleeve through which the penetrator would slide to go into the ground -- probably a short sleeve, wrapping only the penetrator's front end. But if you hit a hard enough surface, the afterbody's going to bounce seriously. However, it might be possible to give it a bottom lip, protruding through the contact plate and equipped with a sharp lip and maybe even short spikes; and make the contact plate itself brittle (like the aeroshells on the DS-2 probes) -- or even make it a radiating array of breakable outrigger rods -- so that the contact plate would shatter on impact and the afterbody would tend to anchor itself into even a hard surface.

Clearly there's a huge swarm of questions and uncertainties about the concept, and it may well turn out to be unworkable. But if the impact problem can be solved, it has very definite benefits. For one thing, it's much lighter than any other possible lander except the bowling ball. (Lucey's lunar penetrators, even including their deorbit and attitude packages, weighed only 135 kg apiece -- and survived crashing into a 3-foot layer of plywood with an onboard mass spectrometer and neutron detector working fine afterwards.) Its biggest selling point, though, is one of the conclusions reached by the Group meeting: it's the only possible concept for a small piggyback Europa Orbiter lander that has any chance of doing meaningful biological studies. Europa's regolith layer is virtually certain to have had any biological remains that it held fried beyond recognition by Jupiter's radiation, and also contaminated by incoming carbonaceous meteoroids. You need to get about a meter below the surface to get good biological samples, and any soft lander that could drill or carry a little short-range cryobot to do that is absolutely certain to weigh far more than the 340 kg which is all the extra payload margin the current design for Europa Orbiter can carry. (Even the frequently mentioned "Europa Pathfinder" concept -- a hockey-puck type rough lander using airbags -- has now been firmly rejected; its airbags, even if their weight alone is raised to 225 kg, are probably too fragile to work on Europa's rough and supercold surface.)

Apparently the only possible alternative to a penetrator for a lander on Europa Orbiter is the "bowling-ball" type lander -- which has viewports for cameras, and even a bunch of little sharp-edge sampling cups mounted on it that could allow it to pick up ice samples on impact for non-biological chemical analyses. But since biology is the raison d'etre for Europa landings, is such a lander even worth the trouble? Or should we instead pour that 240 kg of added orbiting payload into more orbital experiments, a faster data rate, and above all more radiation shielding to allow a longer lifetime for the Orbiter? (The current concept for the Orbiter gives it a minimum of 3 months in Europa orbit -- but for each month longer that you want it to work, about 100 kg more shielding is required.)

Interestingly, there was a growing feeling expressed at the meeting that a small piggyback lander may be worth doing, not so much for science as for engineering data on Europa's surface that will be crucial to design the later big Astrobiology Lander that will be the follow-up to the Europa Orbiter. You want to make damn sure that something that expensive and long-term survives landing. Even given a very high-powered HiRISE-type camera on the Orbiter, that means that you want very close-range descent images (which must be played back after landing) and/or surface images, to gauge the small-scale roughness and feature types of this moon's strange surface. (Lucey's lunar penetrators carried descent cameras.)

You may want (as Ed Strick suggests) a short-lived preliminary seismometer just to get the data on Europa's seismic behavior that will be needed to design a later, better one. You may want to measure the acidity of the ice if it's really high, to make sure that cryobots and ice-analysis gear can survive it. And (as Tom Spilker told me) you may also want to measure the debris content of the ice, to see if there are so many meteorites and other rocks, pebbles and grit in it that a Cryobot would have trouble melting its way through without a grinding head as well. (It looks as though by far the best surface sampler for an Astrobiology Lander will be a short-range cryobot that melts its way 10-100 meters through the surface, which can melt and filter two orders of magnitude more ice than a drill can.) Spilker suggests sonar on a little preliminary lander -- or at least a speed-of-sound experiment, like that on Huygens, to measure the overall rock content of the immediate surface ice that the piggyback lander is sitting on. (You may also want to measure the ice's salt content -- if it's really concentrated, an ice-melting cryobot might eventually build up a lump of concentrated salt ahead of it that would also stop it without a grinding head.) These are the sorts of things that even a tiny hard lander of the Bowling Ball type could get.

Anyway, this is how the Europa Focus Group's overall discussions of a Europa lander seemed to be tilting. (And at least I gave them a little useful input, since I was the one who brought up the penetrator concept to Spilker's subgroup that was discussing the engineering design of a lander, and they were genuinely interested in it and recommended some further inquiries to NASA and JPL about its possible feasibility. They also want to get in touch with Lucey -- although Torrance Johnson remains highly skeptical about the whole idea. One guy named Paul Holland seems to have turned into a flat-out fan of the idea.) Coming up next: my summary of the actual scientific talks at the meeting -- which were a good deal more interesting overall than I'd figured they would be.

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Mar 2 2006, 06:13 PM
Post #8

Guests

Interesting post !
Post Scriptum: aren't we supposed to stay away from Europe ( 2001 a space odyssey wink.gif ... )

+Quote Post
helvick
post Mar 2 2006, 07:07 PM
Post #9

Dublin Correspondent

Member No.: 220

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Mar 2 2006, 06:13 PM) *
Post Scriptum: aren't we supposed to stay away from Europe ( 2001 a space odyssey wink.gif ... )

Well - if so then you, me, Doug and about a third of the crew here are all in trouble already. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Mar 2 2006, 08:16 PM
Post #10

Guests

If I had a nickel for every time that joke was used at the meeting...

By the way, it WAS emphasized that as yet we don't know how to build a full-sized RTG that can endure more than 40 G -- but we do have some very small units that can endure 600 G. So the possibility of a long-lived version of the EO piggyback lander can't quite be ruled out, but is indeed unlikely -- we're more likely talking about batteries and a lifetime of just a few days.

+Quote Post
vexgizmo
post Mar 3 2006, 01:19 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 623

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Mar 2 2006, 11:13 AM) *

Believe it or not, Torrence Johnson addressed this in his talk. He pointed out that at the Europa Ocean Conference (1995), Arthur C Clark dialed in by video-phone and gave his okay.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 3 2006, 10:12 AM
Post #12

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I make a 2km drop to Europa a 72 m/sec impact after a fall of 52 seconds.

I'm guessing you want the forebody at least 2m down, and thus that's, I THINK - 124G.

The afterbody, you want it to stop very quickly, perhaps 25 cm, thus that's, again, if my maths is right - approx 1000G

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Mar 3 2006, 07:14 PM
Post #13

Guests

Yep. The "bowling ball" lander is supposed to endure 4000 to 10,000 Gs -- with sophisticated science instruments onboard. JPL says they're confident they can engineer it. The real question with the afterbody on a penetrator, I'd think, is how to eliminate the bouncing problem if it hits a hard surface.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 4 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #14

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

4-10K Gs, huh? Gotta admit, the sheer survivability of the thing sure adds a lot of mission success sex appeal, which has got to be more important than ever these days...

What kind of instruments are under consideration for this concept? I can see some interesting possibilities, provided that the ball can "unfold" or otherwise deploy sensors after coming to rest.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Mar 4 2006, 04:23 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Mar 2 2006, 12:48 PM) *
The latter may be the catch -- you need to cancel out the penetrator's forward orbital speed very accurately, AND point it nose-down with high accuracy.

If at your penetrators' 4km periapse it's connected to a 4km tether with a counterweight that smacks into Europa first, will the penetrator fall straight down? I guess if the tether breaks, you fall up, though. Doh.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:57 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.