12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Lakes in the limelight, the 2013 image bonanza continues
ngunn
post Oct 24 2013, 09:20 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 542

A joy to read; thanks very much as ever for making your paper availalable to all. What it says about the presence of water ice on the surface of Titan is a tiny part of a paper that has so much more in it, but it's the sort of nugget that is much appreciated here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Oct 26 2013, 04:33 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 1764

QUOTE (remcook @ Oct 24 2013, 02:21 PM) *
There was an interesting talk by Pascal Rannou at EPSC ..... showing a very nice fit to the DISR data with a combination of water ice and fractal haze particles. Apparently it shows a water ice feature at 1.5 micron.

Awesome. 20 years ago we were grappling with disk-integrated groundbased spectroscopy, and the best fit people could come up with was 'dirty ice'. And now, after much debate on Huygens/DISR and Cassini/VIMS, we discover.....dirty ice. This is getting as bad as water on Mars.....

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Oct 26 2013, 10:04 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (rlorenz @ Oct 26 2013, 12:33 AM) *
Awesome. 20 years ago we were grappling with disk-integrated groundbased spectroscopy, and the best fit people could come up with was 'dirty ice'. And now, after much debate on Huygens/DISR and Cassini/VIMS, we discover.....dirty ice. This is getting as bad as water on Mars.....

For any poorly constrained yet hugely significant question in planetary science, there will be an endless series of releases answering various better-constrained versions of that question.

See also, Voyager, exiting solar system. Or earthlike planet, discovered.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Oct 26 2013, 10:48 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 5221

There was controversy about what material Huygens pebbles were made of? Wasn't water ice the obvious explanation right from the start? Obviously confirmation is important news but what other material could they have been?
I remember reading it in the thread in this very sub-forum as the images came down.
Good times...

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Oct 27 2013, 10:30 AM
Post #35

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Oct 26 2013, 11:48 PM) *
what other material could they have been?

Take your pick from a wide range of waxy or soapy organics (evaporites?). We were staring at them but we just didn't know - and truth to tell we still don't, even if water ice now seems increasingly likely.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Oct 31 2013, 04:43 AM
Post #36

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

The effective dielectric constant data over most of Titan, including the Huygens landing site, is not consistent with water ice. (Janssen, 2010)
Spectral measurements only look at the top few microns of paint.
RADAR probes deeper.

+Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Aug 9 2014, 09:57 PM
Post #37

I've been busy with house and family and missed this when it came out. It's a particularly clear view of Titan's lake district:
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...4/N00227079.jpg

Apart from enjoying the whole picture I notice there is a bright streak across the middle of Ligeia Mare. Is it a patch of cloud, or something to do with the 'magic island' recently reported off one of Ligeia's headlands?

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Aug 10 2014, 01:04 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 23

Those are clouds.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 10 2014, 02:42 AM
Post #39

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Forgive me if I'm out of touch, but: Jason, haven't you been looking for clouds for, like, a long time? Is this a big deal?

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Aug 12 2014, 07:38 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 627

Cassini press release

Cassini Tracks Clouds Developing Over a Titan Sea
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/news/newsreleas...elease20140812/

CICLOPS site
http://ciclops.org/view/7929/Clouds-Over-L...e-on-Titan?js=1

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Aug 12 2014, 09:01 PM
Post #41

Member No.: 23

Hmm, well, I guess I can talk about this now. Yes, we have been looking for clouds for a while and not seeing them. And yes this is kind of a big deal.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
antipode
post Aug 13 2014, 09:25 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 1206

Is this a 'lake effect'? Is there much of a difference between the liquid and the overlying atmosphere?

P

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Aug 13 2014, 12:23 PM
Post #43

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

For a weather nut like me, that is awesome smile.gif.

+Quote Post
titanicrivers
post Aug 17 2014, 03:27 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 4081

Yes, awesome observations and imaging! From Rev 207 http://www.ciclops.org/view/7921/Rev207 two CB3 images N00227321 and N00227310 taken on August 13th appear to show clouds in motion over Ligeia Mare and Muggel Lacus. (although spacecraft motion causes whole image shift and my less than ideal image processing may have me fooled!)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Aug 20 2014, 09:01 PM
Post #45

Well we've seen the first clouds for a while and measured their speed, now its time to hunt for the 'magic island', lake altimetry and depth sounding.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j....73231344,d.ZGU

Will the data from this flyby establish the relative surface altitudes of Ligeia nd Kraken? I'm not sure what is meant by Kraken Mare's estuary. Does that term refer to the channels that appear to link it with Ligeia or the ones around Mayda Insula? I note that the first convection clouds appeared over Ligeia, not Kraken. This would be consistent with Ligeia being relatively methane-rich and draining into Kraken; the latter acting as the less volatile ethane sump.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:15 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.