Reply to this topicStart new topic
Wonders of the Solar System
djellison
post Mar 9 2010, 11:48 PM
Post #16

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I didn't notice any music at all. Seriously.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 9 2010, 11:52 PM
Post #17

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Watch it again... the river sequence... can hardly hear a word he's saying in some parts. Other places too. But maybe I'm just extra sensitive to it because it's a thing I've noticed creeping into Beeb progs. Glad it didn't spoil it for you. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ynyralmaen
post Mar 10 2010, 12:50 AM
Post #18

Group: Members
Member No.: 438

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Mar 8 2010, 08:36 AM) *
Any idea which spacecraft filmed the Earth’s auroras?

Probably Polar; site here (getting a bit out of date; some links now dead); some example movies here (scroll down to "The Aurora").

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Mar 10 2010, 05:30 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 1764

QUOTE (helvick @ Mar 7 2010, 05:27 PM) *
Got to agree with Doug - the best hour of Science TV ever, can't wait for the rest of these.
For the rest of you I'm sure it will be hitting BBC World and the various Science channels before long.

Be aware they actually shot two versions - a UK version starring Cox (who is a really smart and fun
guy), and an 'international' version wherein random scientists do more of the talking. Hopefully the
latter is as good.

stand by for episode 3 'The Thin Blue Line' about atmospheres on 21 March..... obviously
I havent seen it yet, but we did shoot some quite absurd things on an alaskan glacier
last October...

glad to hear that the initial feedback on the series is so good.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 10 2010, 06:17 PM
Post #20

Founder

Fingers crossed BBC will release it on Blu Ray so that people overseas can see it how it's meant to be seen.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Mar 10 2010, 07:18 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (rlorenz @ Mar 10 2010, 10:30 AM) *
Be aware they actually shot two versions - a UK version starring Cox (who is a really smart and fun
guy), and an 'international' version wherein random scientists do more of the talking. Hopefully the
latter is as good.

Because clearly we can't understand people with accents and refused to listen to them... rolleyes.gif I'm not sure how Craig Ferguson got through that rule.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Mar 10 2010, 11:12 PM
Post #22

Guests

BBC's "Life" documentary has Oprah Winfrey narrating rather than David Attenborough for US audiences.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Mar 10 2010, 11:29 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 542

That's a great shame. I hope all Americans who don't want to be dumbed-down-to will seek out and be able to find the proper versions. I can't imagine the BBC replacing the voice of (say) Carl Sagan with a non-accented announcer - the audience would want the original.

+Quote Post
helvick
post Mar 10 2010, 11:47 PM
Post #24

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

I'd be surprised if it was dumbed down - more just given a bit of cultural alignment. If the series was shot with this approach in mind from the start (which rlorenz seems to be saying) then I'd be pretty hopeful that it will give some others a chance to shine too. And it gives me an excuse to track down the "other" version once I've seen all the UK episodes to see if the others do as good a job at showing just how awesome science and space exploration actually is. All good as far as I can tell.

And I'm now intrigued to see what Ralph got up to in Alaska = Atmospheres and Glaciers? Can't wait.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Mar 11 2010, 12:09 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 542

Right, I'd like to see the other version too. If you see it before me please tell me who does the scene with the can of water, thermometer, sun and umbrella. If anybody does it better than Brian Cox I wouldn't want to miss it.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Mar 11 2010, 12:27 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 5221

I found a link to the full episode (BBC version) online; it's very impressive! But I'm rather hesitant to post the link until a mod clarifies UMSF's policy to this sort of thing, there's nothing in the forum guidelines about this!

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 11 2010, 08:22 AM
Post #27

Founder

Do you need a forum guideline to tell you not to use UMSF to break the law?

Really?

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Mar 11 2010, 08:47 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 5221

I'm sorry, it's a really stupid question in hindsight. I should've just Pm'd you.
I won't mention it again.

+Quote Post
imipak
post Mar 12 2010, 08:24 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 617

It seems to be a very minority opinion, but personally I can't stand it. Tried watching it twice; couldn't make it further than the first ten minutes. I started making a list of all the ways it fails, irritates and annoys me, but stopped at ten; what's the point? I'm sure some of the 14 year olds it seems to be aimed at will love it, and might develop an interest in the subject; great, fantastic, well done Professor Cox and the BBC for that. It's churlish, I know, but I still wonder why no-one ever makes a science documentaries for adults.

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 12 2010, 08:39 PM
Post #30

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Shame you didn't enjoy it, but I have to say that the response to this program among people I know who wouldn't normally look at a "spacey" program on TV has been fantastic. For example, people at work who usually make fun (kindly!) of my passion for astronomy and space exploration have told me "I can see why you love it so much now!" and "That program was really interesting!", etc etc. I don't think it's aimed primarily at people like us who already know a lot about the wonders to be found Out There; it's more for a general if not absolute beginners audience. I think "Wonders" will open the eyes of a lot of people to the wonders of the universe. It will also make Brian Cox a household name, which is no bad thing.

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:18 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.