2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Juno Perijove 31, December 30, 2020
mcaplinger
post Dec 31 2020, 03:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 497

We've started getting images back from PJ31, but I'm not sure when they'll show up on missionjuno due to the holiday schedule.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jan 1 2021, 12:47 AM
Post #2

First nine PJ31 images on missionjuno.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jan 1 2021, 12:58 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 6780

Draft renditions of the first 14 images are online, including the five red lightning search images.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jan 1 2021, 04:22 AM
Post #4

Here is a crop of a draft rendition of #10 showing a CPC with a potential lightning candidate:
Attached Image

Two reprojections with gamma=4:
#12:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jan 1 2021, 04:26 AM
Post #5

and #14:
Attached Image

Here, you'll find more reprojections stretched with gamma=4, after some illumination adjustment based on PJ20 images.
And here the same images radiometrically linearized only (gamma=1).

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jan 1 2021, 08:33 PM
Post #6

We seem to be lucky enough to see the north polar cyclone being displaced from the pole by about one degree towards the day side:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jan 1 2021, 10:28 PM
Post #7

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

As a matter of curiosity, which values are you (and others here) using for Jupiter's equatorial and polar radius when reprojecting the JunoCam images? I'm using the 'official' values (71492 and 66854 km for the equatorial and polar 1 bar level) but have been seriously considering experimenting with modifying these values slightly.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Jan 1 2021, 11:34 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 321

The altitudes of the highest clouds should be approximately 20 km above the 1 bar level. I'm not doing any rendering or projection of Juno images to confirm that that value would make for a better image product.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jan 1 2021, 11:55 PM
Post #9

Usually, I'm using the official IAU spheroid. Sometimes, I add 100 km whenever I want to ensure that the limb isn't cropped for whatever purpose. But I have degrees of freedom regarding the pointing. This time, I modified the pointing more than usual to get a reasonable limb fit, potentially due to the applied SPICE trajectory, including pointing of the s/c rotation axis, being preliminary, or by a degenerate geometry. However, the resulting map renditions were consistent up to one or two pixels near the pole for maps with a resolution of 60 pixel per degree. So, I didn't see a requirement for further adjustment.
But I'm aware of systematic errors, which I didn't fix yet. The IAU spheroid is inaccurate due to varying cloud heights and due to the zonal winds inducing a deviation of up to ~40 km. (Last time I looked for the best fit equipotential model, the data haven't been released publicly, yet. But the equipotential can be derived from published spherical harmonics.) I also don't adjust systematically for velocity aberration, which may result in errors up to about 3 or 4 pixels. There may also exist longitudinal deviations from a spheroid. In my eyes, such systematic adjustments don't make too much sense, since the uncertainty of the cloud or haze height can be several 10s of km, too, and require manual or semi-automatic adjustments in any case.

+Quote Post
Brian Swift
post Jan 2 2021, 01:54 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 8250

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Jan 1 2021, 02:28 PM) *
As a matter of curiosity, which values are you (and others here) using for Jupiter's equatorial and polar radius when reprojecting the JunoCam images?
I'm currently using the defaults. Didn't see benefit when I experimented with using larger values (but my pipeline's limb fitting and processing isn't particularly sensitive to radius.)

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Jan 3 2021, 04:11 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 4489

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Jan 1 2021, 05:28 PM) *
As a matter of curiosity, which values are you (and others here) using for Jupiter's equatorial and polar radius when reprojecting the JunoCam images? I'm using the 'official' values (71492 and 66854 km for the equatorial and polar 1 bar level) but have been seriously considering experimenting with modifying these values slightly.

seeing as isis3/4 defaults to equatorial , that is what i am using .
i added the polar radius , at one point , but i did not see any difference .

+Quote Post
Brian Swift
post Jan 4 2021, 05:24 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 8250

Someone at missionjuno is working this weekend. More raw data there today. PJ31 is looking great.
Here is reduced resolution exaggerated color/contrast collage of what's there so far.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jan 4 2021, 10:43 PM
Post #13

Part 2, drafts, reprojections roughly illumination-adjusted stretched to gamma=1, and gamma=4 relative to radiometric values. Resolution is about that of the camera.

Note a moon rising over the GRS in the drafts of #31 to #33.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jan 4 2021, 11:25 PM
Post #14

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Appears to be Ganymede

Attached Image

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jan 4 2021, 11:46 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Jan 4 2021, 03:25 PM) *
Appears to be Ganymede

Io is coming in the next batch just for you, Jason! May be out there already.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:01 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.