IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Solander Point, Sol 3387 - 3511 (August 4, 2013 - December 12, 2013)
dilo
post Sep 5 2013, 06:27 AM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 150

I guess Oppy wasn't in autonomous navigation mode, but I wonder there wasn't any sort of proximity alarm and automatic safe stop for such situations, eventually triggered by hazardcams!

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Sep 5 2013, 12:43 PM
Post #62

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

The F/R-Hazcams "per se" can't do that. You need a sort of hazard avoidance SW built on top to do that function. And IIRC autonav includes this feature but it is quite slow.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Sep 5 2013, 01:16 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 542

I'm struggling to understand how colliding with a rock at a speed of a few centimetres per second could have been "mission catastrophic". (Just as well my car is more robust.)

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 5 2013, 01:26 PM
Post #64

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

It would probably damage solar panels quite badly. Moreover, you're then hung up on a rock with the arrays - you need to get 'off' that, which will cause more damage.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 5 2013, 02:02 PM
Post #65

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I would have thought that constant monitoring of tilt and engineering data from wheels etc. would stop the drive before anything got hung up too much. But obviously much better to avoid it than to test my assumptions.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Sep 5 2013, 02:57 PM
Post #66

Member No.: 98

In stereo, it didn't look to me like Mulla Mulla was tall enough to hit the arrays. Unless she tilted more - which could easily have been in the cards I guess.

Wopmay looked scarier smile.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Sep 5 2013, 04:18 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 253

Not tall enough but its size was only known with a given margin when it was seen from the position before that drive was executed. It might not have contacted the wings but damaged the wiring under them.

Regarding tilt and other data monitoring, I think that would not be enough to stop the rover in this kind of scenario.

+Quote Post
serpens
post Sep 6 2013, 10:49 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 4605

Referring back to post 51, the PS update confirms that "Coal Island" is the contact between the planar and tilted laminae. But the planar bench ("Grasberg unit") was designated altered material eroded from old Endeavour rim "Shoemaker" material. Is this implying that the tilted laminae represents pre impact sedimentary layering rather than Grasberg unit material tilted due to a local subsidence?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 6 2013, 11:08 PM
Post #69

The Grasberg unit is the lowest layer of the Burns Formation, the stack of sulfate-rich sandstones seen all over Meridiani. They sit on top of the layer of debris eroded off the Endeavour rim hills. The scarp here, the little step up above the bench, is presumably that eroded debris. The exact relationship is not easy to figure out just looking at the images here, but it seemed to be clearer at the north end of Cape York.

More interesting to me is the origin of the basalt boulders like Tick Bush. Are they ejecta thrown in from a distant impact? I don't see any sign of basalt flows in the vicinity.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
serpens
post Sep 7 2013, 11:06 PM
Post #70

Not sure that you are correct there Phil. On CY the Burns Formation sulphate sandstone onlaps the bench (Deadwood - Grasberg unit) which is eroded material from Cape York (Shoemaker), and the same seems true here. The basaltic boulders seem to be eroding out of the upturned rim remnant. Given that Endeavour was formed by an impact into hundreds of meter thick Miyamoto ejecta they could well pre-date the impact. Coal Island is a contact between two units with, in false colour, seemingly different lithology and what I find fascinating is the possibility that the tilted laminae could be a pre-impact deposit.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
walfy
post Sep 7 2013, 11:37 PM
Post #71

Member No.: 5161

Nice view of the "shore" in 3D, sol 3419:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 8 2013, 04:11 AM
Post #72

Re: the Grasberg unit:

https://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2013AM/webprogra...aper233091.html

"The bright outcrop margin (the “Grasberg unit”) is the most prominent of several successive onlaps of thinly-laminated sulfate sediments onto the crater rim inselbergs."

And also:

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2013/pdf/2292.pdf

"A stop at the site named “Grasberg” confirmed through MI and APXS analysis that this band is a material distinct from either the materials of Cape York or the Burns Formation.
Grasberg is an unusual composition with elevated Cl, and a grain-size finer than the MI resolution, in contrast to the coarse sandstone typical of Meridiani. This is a relatively thin
(several tens of cm thick) unit that unconformably overlies the slopes of an eroded Cape York."

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
serpens
post Sep 8 2013, 07:16 AM
Post #73

I think the following paper goes a little deeper into explanation of the bench Phil: http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2013/pdf/2294.pdf
To quote, A rock unit ringing the base of Cape York was investigated at Deadwood and again at Grasberg, at Cape York’s northern tip. This unit is bright-toned with platy, millimeter-scale layering. Its elemental composition is intermediate between the rocks of the Shoemaker formation and the Burns Formation, with elevated Ca and S concentrations, interpreted as a clastic sedimentary rock formed by erosion of the Shoemaker Formation and later modified to create the S enrichment. Squires also tributed the bench to shoemaker detritus in his Nature article Ancient Impact and Aqueous Processes at Endeavour Crater, Mars although he differentiated between inner and outer bench material (outer being Burns formation onlap which is quite pronounced to the west of CY). Identifying the bench as eroded rim breccia material seems an important call in defining Endeavour, confirming that the Burns unit was deposited a long time after the impact, when the rim had eroded away.

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Sep 9 2013, 10:37 AM
Post #74

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (ngunn @ Sep 5 2013, 01:16 PM) *
I'm struggling to understand how colliding with a rock at a speed of a few centimetres per second could have been "mission catastrophic". (Just as well my car is more robust.)

Remember Oppy does not travel very fast but she has tons of torque, so she could crunch herself pretty bad.

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Sep 9 2013, 09:16 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 196

One wonders whether Oppy's accelerometers are used in general drive usage for instance to adjust drive behavior over small rocks, which should nullify hazards such as this, since any sensed impasse should signal to adjust suspension, wheel spin, etc. in adaptation to the terrain feature encountered... or maybe they are only used to measure degree of tilt? i'm sure im oversimplifying it and someone here is probably familiar with those specs..

+Quote Post

20 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:15 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.