7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Europa Flyby - PJ45, September 29, 2022
scalbers
post Oct 3 2022, 02:10 PM
Post #76

Group: Members
Member No.: 184

ZLD - the color info is essentially coming from Bjorn's processing (actually a very early map of his), though I've been manipulating the contrast. He has a much better map from 2015 that I could try for comparison. There are areas where the color varies for example in the western hemisphere. Some color variation seems apparent within the area of the Juno images as well.

Daniele - thanks for the neat hi-res image/map from Paul Schenk.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Oct 3 2022, 04:35 PM
Post #77

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Found a place to put the product I produced (there are subtle differences from what I posted earlier as I worked to improve the control point network(s):

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjA9D8g

Found a much better way of tying these images together in ISIS. First I created control point networks for each observation separately using Autoseed then I registered each point using pointreg. This control point network scheme is similar to what we do with CaSSIS, which makes sense given that both are similar push-frame cameras. so I have four separate control networks for the four images. I then used cnetmerge to combine the two. It was important to make sure that the points in each network have different names, so when they were generated by autoseed, the points have the observation name as a prefix, much like CaSSIS. I then used qnet to interactively tie together the four networks by finding common points between them. The perspective shift and the pointing offsets made it a lot less messy to just do this by hand. This also gave me a chance to fix some points to a Voyager/Galileo basemap. The biggest limitation to this process was the fact that the basemap isn’t perfect and there are clearly offsets between the higher resolution images in the mosaic and the lower resolution background image in the region from Galileo G2/C9. This is something that the JunoCAM observations will be able to remedy to have a better product for Europa Clipper planning.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
MarcF
post Oct 3 2022, 04:44 PM
Post #78

Member No.: 773

These JUNO images are fantastic, especially since they cover parts of Europa not well seen by Voyager and Galileo at good resolution. It gives also nice context to some late Galileo mosaics, especially from orbits I25 and E26. The I25 mosaic has been used to fill a gap in most maps, but I have never seen the E26FLOWS01 mosaic used in any map, probably because the poor resolution of the background impaired to locate it precisely. This is now possible thanks to JUNO. There is somewhere another pic extending E26FLOWS to the North-East, but I could not find it. I copied the Galileo mosaics from: https://rgcps.asu.edu/Galileo/ (from ASU), one of the rare site where Galileo pics can still be found (at least by me). One disappointment is that the new images do not help to definitively solve the question of the nature of Midir, a probable big impact scare.
These are some personal thoughts.
Thanks to all of you who processed these images. It is a real pleasure to go through them.
Take care and stay healthy.
Best regards,
Marc.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
MarcF
post Oct 5 2022, 08:25 PM
Post #79

Member No.: 773

And here is the image taken by the JUNO Stellar Reference Unit (SRU):

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/nasas-juno-ge...ers-moon-europa

Best regards,
Marc.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Oct 5 2022, 09:35 PM
Post #80

Member No.: 23

adjusting my JIRAM backplane script now to work with SRU images...

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Oct 6 2022, 12:30 AM
Post #81

IMG to PNG GOD

Member No.: 38

This is a mosaic of all four JunoCam images rendered from Juno's location when image PJ45_4 was obtained. The image is enlarged by a factor of 2 relative to the size of image PJ45_4. North is up.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Oct 7 2022, 08:55 PM
Post #82

Member No.: 424

Emily Lakdawalla has been tweeting from the Division for Planetary Sciences meeting in London, Ontario.

https://twitter.com/elakdawalla/status/1578455575905546241

Emily Lakdawalla
@elakdawalla

A super fast flyby through the Europa flyby of Juno by Scott Bolton is my last #DPS2022 talk. SO MUCH DATA WOW. Europa folks will be chewing on this for years.

Juno Ganymede flyby Science paper has been submitted, and lots of other papers will follow. As neat as the images are, the other kinds of data — microwave radio penetrating ice, plasma waves and other in situ instruments picking up clues to subsurface ocean — are Juno’s forte.

This post has been edited by Tom Tamlyn: Oct 7 2022, 08:56 PM

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Oct 7 2022, 09:11 PM
Post #83

Member No.: 424

Incidentally, in case you're wondering, Scott Bolton's talk, part of today's "Fire and Ice: Europa and Aurorae" session, does not have a posted abstract.

H/T to member marsbug for instructions on how to search the meeting schedule.

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=258754

+Quote Post
Brian Swift
post Oct 14 2022, 08:26 PM
Post #84

Member No.: 8250

Approachable explanation of estimation of Europa ocean/ice-crust found in UCSC lecture slides titled:
EART162: PLANETARY INTERIORS

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Oct 22 2022, 01:09 AM
Post #85

IMG to PNG GOD

Member No.: 38

This is an animation of the Europa flyby. It shows the true speed of the flyby, i.e. it's not been speeded up as these animations usually are:
https://vimeo.com/762819526

The latter half of the above animation is very slow. In this version the speed of everything has been increased by a factor of 3:
https://vimeo.com/762820642

+Quote Post
Julius
post Oct 29 2022, 05:06 AM
Post #86

Member No.: 741

When are radar studies from Europa flyby expected?

+Quote Post
StargazeInWonder
post Oct 29 2022, 05:45 AM
Post #87

Member No.: 9140

Papers about Juno's microwave observations of Ganymede came out 6 and 9 months after the observations were made, so perhaps that timeframe will be similar for Europa.

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Oct 31 2022, 12:53 AM
Post #88

Member No.: 351

QUOTE (StargazeInWonder @ Oct 28 2022, 09:45 PM) *
Papers about Juno's microwave observations of Ganymede came out 6 and 9 months after the observations were made, so perhaps that timeframe will be similar for Europa.

Early Juno Europa results will be presented at the AGU conference in December. I expect to be there and will try to do a summary.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kymani76
post Mar 9 2023, 03:02 PM
Post #89

Member No.: 2461

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Oct 6 2022, 01:30 AM) *
This is a mosaic of all four JunoCam images rendered from Juno's location when image PJ45_4 was obtained. The image is enlarged by a factor of 2 relative to the size of image PJ45_4. North is up.

Attached Image

This image actually substantially improves the map coverage along longitude 35°E (325°W in IAU terms).

Attached Image

+Quote Post
antipode
post Dec 30 2023, 09:20 AM
Post #90

Member No.: 1206

Very interesting open access paper in JGR Planets regarding the J45 Europa flyby
as seen by the Stellar Reference Unit in Jupitershine:

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi...29/2023JE008105

P

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 05:58 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.