10 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Juno perijove 6, May 19, 2017
Sean
post May 30 2017, 07:06 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 7837

125 Megapixel upscaled & refreshed Print portrait of Gerald's PJ06_123...

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Candy Hansen
post May 30 2017, 10:07 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 7013

These are simply heart-stopping beautiful! Thank you all so much - I hope you have enjoyed seeing your work in all the press coverage of Juno last week.

QUOTE (Sean @ May 25 2017, 09:43 PM) *
Another updated portrait...

Details...

+Quote Post
Gerald
post May 31 2017, 08:07 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 6780

Candy, I'm glad, that with PJ6 we've been able to provide unexpectedly fantastic images just in time for a press briefing, which has been scheduled independently. This has only been possible in time and in this quality, with a dedicated virtual image processing team forming spontaneously, and with a camera of outstanding quality and performance, including the highly precise work of the Juno nav- and ops teams, and many more people and institutions who are equally important, but mentioned only occasionally.

+Quote Post
Sean
post May 31 2017, 10:41 AM
Post #64

I would like to reiterate what Gerald said, as well as mark appreciation for his efforts in interpreting the data & creating the products I use. It has been an interesting week and a particularly intense 48 hours fielding questions. I have also realised how much I have to learn with respect to image processing.

Now, I'm looking forward to what we get from Perijove 07!

**rolls up sleeves**

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post May 31 2017, 05:51 PM
Post #65

QUOTE (Sean @ May 30 2017, 07:45 AM) *
... there were missing frames toward the end when compared with Gerald's original video...

I think, the #124 sequence is missing. I've added this to the previous upload.
Did you find any other gaps? The video should be 1:36.04 with 25fps, a total of 2401 frames.

+Quote Post
Sean
post May 31 2017, 08:06 PM
Post #66

Thanks Gerald.

I started looking at the cylindrical maps you provided for PJ04 & wondered if you could produce them for PJ06? I am working to blend these separate maps into one with total perijove coverage.

**update**
If you have the time of course, I suspect this might not be the case! wink.gif

QUOTE (Gerald @ May 31 2017, 06:51 PM) *
I think, the #124 sequence is missing. I've added this to the previous upload.
Did you find any other gaps? The video should be 1:36.04 with 25fps, a total of 2401 frames.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post May 31 2017, 11:12 PM
Post #67

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

QUOTE (Sean @ May 31 2017, 10:41 AM) *
Now, I'm looking forward to what we get from Perijove 07!

The Great Red Spot! PJ-7 should be very interesting.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 2 2017, 12:10 AM
Post #68

QUOTE (Sean @ May 31 2017, 10:06 PM) *
I started looking at the cylindrical maps you provided for PJ04 & wondered if you could produce them for PJ06?...

I understand, what you are intending to do. I'll try to create an enhanced global seamless cylindrical PJ06 map with some constraints I need to consider. Give me a week or so.

+Quote Post
antipode
post Jun 2 2017, 02:07 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 1206

Sean

I assume this is your work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kQbTBt418o

Great to see it in a manageable size and of course the subject DEMANDS the use of the Ligeti.
Plus its getting an audience - nearly 80000 hits!

This clip needs to be shown on every 6pm news service - it might help put things in some perspective.

Congratulations!

P

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jun 2 2017, 09:32 AM
Post #70

Much appreciated Gerald. I've also started looking into reprojection to fill in gaps using previous observations... the theory works, i just need to get good at it!

Thanks P, Yes I made that and I'm glad you appreciate the use of Ligeti. Its not everyones cup of tea. Someone left a note saying 'Jupiter is a planet NOT a horror film!' smile.gif

I have a prototype version slowed down by a factor of 10...so a 12 second closeup sequence lasts 2 minutes and it is very effective.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Jun 2 2017, 02:42 PM
Post #71

Member No.: 321

Sean, the video is amazing, and it looks like there is a wealth of stereo information to be extracted. I'm almost certain that we see significant changes in parallax at many times and places throughout it.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 2 2017, 03:08 PM
Post #72

Seán, Charley Locke just notified, that she completed her nice summary about your video.
I wondered, whether she would write a technical article with all the material I provided her, but I think this would have taken several days, at least.

Regarding parallax: I tried to identify parallax effects since the first Jupiter flyby, but wasn't able to find some, thus far, in an unambiguous way. There is some tiny displacement for high velocity jets which could be confused with parallax. But the projection isn't quite perfect, so you get some artifacts from processing inaccuracies, too.
Scroll down a bit this PJ1 article of John Rogers to see some animations.
We see such tiny displacements in all perijoves with close-up images.

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jun 2 2017, 03:24 PM
Post #73

@JRehling Thanks, I would be careful about reading too much into the videos I make since I am adding a plethora of tween frames which are not reliable sources to scrutinise.

@Gerald...yes I was notified also. I provided a LOT of information which was not used so I wonder if the initial brief was changed. Is this typical of the media? I suspect so.

I also had to insist that they remove a version of the video which was appropriated by someone else, re-compressed and a different soundtrack added. This version of the video did not attribute credit to either of us.

The same thing happened when a picture editor applied some awful processing to my images and credited ME with the work! Not only destroying the work ( whatever its merits ) but conflating his image with mine and trashing my reputation into the bargain. He did it twice.

I have to say that wilful appropriation compounded by lackadaisical editorial is extremely difficult and time consuming to counter. Jupiter deserves better!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 2 2017, 04:17 PM
Post #74

I've terabytes of processed JunoCam images, but I've released only a few gigabytes. That's similar with the media. They pick out what they consider most interesting for their audience. Might be, WIRED will publish a more detailed article at some time, later.
As soon as something is released publicly, I occasionally check how it is used elsewhere, but I usually don't try to intervene. I just try to learn how to stay clear enough not to cause unintended misinterpretations myself.
What counts, is that your videos are going to get broad attention. This helps public outreach, and it provides a more complete perception of Jupiter, the Juno mission, and the high quality of JunoCam in the public. I'm confident, that at the end, the web community will pay most attention to the best video products.

+Quote Post
Guest_avisolo_*
post Jun 3 2017, 01:06 AM
Post #75

Guests

QUOTE (Gerald @ Jun 2 2017, 04:17 PM) *
I've terabytes of processed JunoCam images, but I've released only a few gigabytes. That's similar with the media. They pick out what they consider most interesting for their audience. Might be, WIRED will publish a more detailed article at some time, later.
As soon as something is released publicly, I occasionally check how it is used elsewhere, but I usually don't try to intervene. I just try to learn how to stay clear enough not to cause unintended misinterpretations myself.
What counts, is that your videos are going to get broad attention. This helps public outreach, and it provides a more complete perception of Jupiter, the Juno mission, and the high quality of JunoCam in the public. I'm confident, that at the end, the web community will pay most attention to the best video products.

Thanks for your awesome work Gerald! Here is my take on your Jupiter flyby animation video, featuring Holst's Jupiter suite, Carl Sagan voiceover and real Jovian sounds:
https://vimeo.com/220084865

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:11 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.