35 Pages V  « < 33 34 35  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
New Horizons: Approach Phase, OpsNav - 25 January 15 to 28 June 15
Guest_Steve5304_*
post Jun 29 2015, 01:33 PM
Post #511

Guests

QUOTE (FOV @ Jun 29 2015, 12:55 PM) *
Using last 2 images available from June 27. You can see that "stripey" appearance on Pluto for this one.

[attachment=36333:June_27_...enlarged.jpg]

I see a planetwide stripe or channel or fault right across the middle. Almost in a Yin/Yang or tennisball shape blink.gif

That does not seem to be an artifact. It looks like a planet-wide feature north to south and curves far to the right. Somebody else have a look tell me what they think. Or maybe its paradeolia but I think I can make it out in the last 3 images posted !!

Say it is a real feature, Which im pretty sure it is... What sort of fluid from the poles where it is coming from would cut that sort of channel on this frozen planet, there should be zero tectonics on Pluto. And its too curvy to be a accretion belt.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 29 2015, 03:18 PM
Post #512

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

You see a stripe... I see it too. But please don't give in to the temptation to describe it as a channel. There are a lot of other possibilities, and remember this stripe would be 200 km across or so. It could just be a random collection of spots (like a 'river' in printed text - look at a printed page from a distance and you see winding white lines made up of spaces between words which your eyes and brain join up) - it could be a wind streak like markings on Mars, it could be a range of mountains like the Appennines on the Moon. Right now it's just a line.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
fred_76
post Jun 29 2015, 03:34 PM
Post #513

Member No.: 7518

I do confirm what Bjorn noticed. Nix and Hydra are clearly visible on the 27th bin x1 stacked images as shown below. The indication near Kerberos is a ground star.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Fred

--------------------
Astronopithecus normandimensis nephophobis

+Quote Post
fred_76
post Jun 29 2015, 05:49 PM
Post #514

Nix and Hydra from the bin x1 images of the 23rd June :

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
FOV
post Jun 29 2015, 07:06 PM
Post #515

Member No.: 5800

Lots of albedo variations. Pluto is really impressing. Charon too.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 29 2015, 09:14 PM
Post #516

Member No.: 6780

Background stars can be identified in the 1x1-binned images in many cases, at least if stacked:
Attached Image

This sequence of 22 frames is an excerpt of the "OpNav Campaign 4, LORRI 1X1" images:
Attached Image

I've tried to register the images by background stars (actually by writing and running an according software).

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jun 29 2015, 11:59 PM
Post #517

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

QUOTE (Gerald @ Jun 29 2015, 09:14 PM) *
Background stars can be identified in the 1x1-binned images in many cases, at least if stacked

This is great and may turn out to be very useful for figuring out the exact image orientation once the resolution gets too high for both Pluto and Charon to fit within LORRI's field of view (can't wait for that to happen!).

+Quote Post
EDG
post Jul 1 2015, 06:06 PM
Post #518

Member No.: 5483

EDIT: Nvm, wrong thread, sorry!

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jul 1 2015, 07:17 PM
Post #519

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Just a gentle reminder that images taken after June 28 are being discussed in the Pluto System Encounter Thread. I've moved a few posts over to that thread.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
fred_76
post Jul 8 2015, 07:08 AM
Post #520

QUOTE (algorimancer @ Mar 9 2015, 03:19 PM) *
What is the object that appears on frames 4-6 (circled in the clipped version of the animation below)? There's a similar object that appears once in frame 7 (circled, with question mark), but in a slightly different location. The object in frames 4-6 clearly seems to be an object moving downwards. Camera artifact? Other known satellite? Random KBO drifting past?

[attachment=35267:LORRI_4x..._Clipped.gif]

It looks like a variable star.

--------------------

+Quote Post

35 Pages V  « < 33 34 35
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:38 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.