Historical first photo of space
Member 267
post Jul 23 2011, 11:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 267

Does anyone know what is regarded as the first photograph
that is space related; the moon, a planet, a star field or whatever
it may be and if it can be viewed online someplace?

Google was not my friend here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jul 23 2011, 11:28 PM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

I'm going to guess that based on the very low sensitivity of film in the earliest days, it's probably the moon, ore else an inadvertent capture of Venus in the background of an image.

Google really is your friend,

THE FIRST PHOTO OF THE MOON, 1839

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Member 267
post Jul 23 2011, 11:38 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 267

Thanks smile.gif , it is clearer than anticipated.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 24 2011, 01:04 AM
Post #4

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Dan, thanks! AMAZING photo in so many ways.

Interesting to think of the interpretation of the surface features in that era...makes you wonder what false assumptions WE may apply to more recent imagery of far lesser-understood places.

(Titan above all springs to mind; still don't think we're even close to understanding what the hell is going on down there, and that's a good sign that we're going to learn a lot...)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
tasp
post Jul 24 2011, 04:57 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 162

Not belittling the skill involved in taking the image but I think the sensitivity of the 'film' was perhaps less important than we might suppose. The moon was, after all, directly illuminated by 100% sunlight. Whatever chemistry they used for landscape portraiture would have been sufficient for a 'moon shot'.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jul 24 2011, 05:22 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 197

No one at any point in this discussion indicated it would have been difficult to photograph the moon with the earliest films. My comment about the film's sensitivity was made to rule out objects OTHER THAN the Moon and Venus as the earliest astro-photography target. I can't imagine how I might have worded it to be more clear.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
PFK
post Jul 24 2011, 01:50 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 4121

This site lists some firsts for the son of John Draper (who took the moon photo)
http://www.saburchill.com/HOS/astronomy/033.html

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jul 26 2011, 12:55 AM
Post #8

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (tasp @ Jul 24 2011, 05:57 AM) *
Not belittling the skill involved in taking the image but I think the sensitivity of the 'film' was perhaps less important than we might suppose. The moon was, after all, directly illuminated by 100% sunlight. Whatever chemistry they used for landscape portraiture would have been sufficient for a 'moon shot'.

The exposure time (thank you again, Google) was a whopping 20 minutes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NGC3314
post Jul 27 2011, 04:36 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 3958

This timeline shows the earliest star photographs in 1857 (Mizar and Alcor from the Harvard refractor). The next year saw the first successful comet photograph (the amazingly spectacular Donati). The Orion nebula was registered in 1880, and after that things really took off. (I've used photographs from as far back as 1895 to look for variability of quasars in the fields of galaxies, repeating the exposure using the same telescope, modern emulsions, and filters to approximate the spectral response of old blue-sensitive emulsion plus a silver-on-glass primary mirror).

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jul 28 2011, 12:31 AM
Post #10

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

Interesting, although it has some serious errors. Holden, working for Pickering, as an example, photographed Mars at Lick Observatory from 1888-1892. Pickering was not involved at all in actually taking the images, although he claimed credit in several publications. And Pic du Midi had nothing to do with it.

I did a blog entry on the set some time ago

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:30 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.