Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mission: Hayabusa 2
Therion
post Aug 12 2018, 04:05 PM
Post #526

Group: Members
Member No.: 7722

QUOTE (pandaneko @ Aug 7 2018, 08:38 AM) *
What bothers me about JAXA's latest findings is the dryness of Ryugu.

JAXA were constantly saying, before arrival, that Ryugu had been chosen because it appears to be a water rich(?)
asteroid. The reason must be remote spectroscopy unless it was just their wishfull thinking and unlss there are
other means of guessing properties of asteroid surface.

So, my guess is that remote spectroscopy across billion km is not at all reliable. Is that right?

P

There was some "suspected transient sublimation activity" as well. Curiously, the signature was observed when Ryugu was at aphelion.

New candidates for active asteroids: main-belt (145) Adeona, (704) Interamnia, (779) Nina, (1474) Beira, and near-Earth (162173) Ryugu
Possible sublimation and dust activity on primitive NEAs: Example of (162173) Ryugu
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Aug 12 2018, 05:09 PM
Post #527

Member No.: 351

pandaneko and Roman Tkachenko - thank you for your work and posts here!

--------------------

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Aug 14 2018, 08:40 AM
Post #528

Member No.: 5323

What follows is from the witter section of the main Hayabusa 2 web page, two bits in one go.

Status of hayabusa2 (week starting on 6 August 2018)

We conducted a free fall experiment during 5 to 7 August. This was the same operation as landing and meant
it was the second near landing for H2.

Height reached was 851m and we were able to obtain a large number of close up photos. Right now, people are
flowing into ISAS in droves from within Japan and overseas and they are happily discussing new findings.
(13 August 2018)

(we do not seem to be viewing them, not in large numbers...., P)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 14 2018, 03:43 PM
Post #529

Martian Cartographer

Member No.: 227

"What bothers me about JAXA's latest findings is the dryness of Ryugu.

JAXA were constantly saying, before arrival, that Ryugu had been chosen because it appears to be a water rich(?)
asteroid. The reason must be remote spectroscopy unless it was just their wishfull thinking and unlss there are
other means of guessing properties of asteroid surface.

So, my guess is that remote spectroscopy across billion km is not at all reliable. Is that right?"

I was under the impression that it was chosen for being carbon-rich. Any thoughts about water would be an assumption, not based on direct evidence. Even so, it may contain water below a surface which has been dried by heating. Spectroscopy only tells us about the uppermost surface layer. So I would suggest waiting for later results.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Aug 14 2018, 06:35 PM
Post #530

Member No.: 5221

Article on DLR's plans for the MASCOT landing: https://www.dlr.de/dlr/en/desktopdefault.as...#/gallery/31672

+Quote Post
Roman Tkachenko
post Aug 14 2018, 07:44 PM
Post #531

Member No.: 7822

10 possible landing sites for MASCOT lander

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roman Tkachenko
post Aug 18 2018, 10:16 PM
Post #532

Member No.: 7822

10 possible landing sites for MASCOT lander (3D visualization)

--------------------

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Yesterday, 03:10 PM
Post #533

Member No.: 1764

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Aug 14 2018, 11:43 AM) *
So, my guess is that remote spectroscopy across billion km is not at all reliable. Is that right?"

I'm fond of saying 'If you laid all the near-infrared spectroscopists end-to-end, they'd reach across an ocean, but wouldn't reach a conclusion'.

The history of planetary science is full of claims and counterclaims on the interpretation of near-IR spectra, more so than any other type of data, I think, except perhaps geomorphology.
There are of course counterexamples where such spectra have been decisive and important.

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Today, 02:37 AM
Post #534

Member No.: 5323

Thank you, Roman, this rotating movie looks pretty good, and my guess is MA-4 for MASCOT landing. It is a crater rim and may have
something interesting. I really, really want to see photos from MASCOT!!!

P

+Quote Post

36 Pages V  « < 34 35 36
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2018 - 09:02 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.