Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Jul 12 2017, 09:39 PM
Post #32

Group: Members
Member No.: 7273

Here's my take on Gerald's processed version. Tried not to push the contrast enhancement too far. Everything is white-balanced to the brightest clouds.

+Quote Post
antipode
post Jul 12 2017, 10:26 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 1206

WOW! I see another area of enhanced convection/overshoot just outside the core in a vortex at the 1 o'clock position. This is gunna get good.

Could someone tell me if these high white cloudtops represent H20 or ammonia convection?

P

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jul 12 2017, 11:57 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 6780

Ammonia or H2O, both plausible.

PJ07, #51, 53, 54:
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jul 12 2017, 11:59 PM
Post #35

PJ7, #55, and 56:
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jul 13 2017, 12:02 AM
Post #36

PJ7, #57, and 59:
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jul 13 2017, 12:11 AM
Post #37

PJ7, #60 (reviewed), and #61
Attached Image
Attached Image

PNG versions, except reviewd #60 submitted to missionjuno.
The images are rendered with an assumed rotation period of 30.7007 s for Juno, and 80.96 frames per rotation. Calibration of the parameters by eye, not yet formally.

Thanks for all your derived versions! Those are really astonishing. I see, that there is always something I can learn.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jul 13 2017, 01:51 AM
Post #38

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

Wow. The GRS also has the high altitude clusters of small clouds that are so common elsewhere in the Juno images. I also suspect Juno may have succeeded in directly imaging altitude differences between bigger clouds. I get the impression that the dark areas in the GRS are lower than the brighter ones but this needs to be analyzed much more carefully.

Here is a quick and dirty crop from a 250 pixels/degree simple cylindrical map that my software is now producing; in this case it takes several hours to run. This is image PJ7_060. The image shows what I mentioned above. I'm including the bottom part here just for fun. It shows that the processing isn't complete yet. The color in the upper part of the image is preliminary but should be fairly close to true color.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jul 13 2017, 02:01 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 7837

Thanks for your excellent work Gerald. Here are some processed images based on yours...

PJ07_53

PJ07_61

PJ07_53 detail

PJ07_61 detail

Can't wait to see your efforts Bjorn.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Jul 13 2017, 03:53 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 7273

Approaching the Great Red Spot...

And not to be outdone by the GRS, the north polar hood has a large cyclone along its southern edge:

+Quote Post
GS_Brazil
post Jul 13 2017, 12:08 PM
Post #41

Member No.: 7733

How do I have to understand these images? I'm always under the impression that the middle of the image is exaggerated, and so the GRS seems to be much much bigger than what we would see on the traditional images. A kind of Fish-eye effect.
The 'original' ( I know this is composed and stitched from the real original R B G images ) image looks a bit more natural to me:

Is it because I'm used to rectangular images and the rounding at the top and bottom of the 'original' image as a matter look like being border of the planet?
In this context map I do see that that's not the case ...

But still, every time I see an image posted I get the impression that there's something wrong with the image scale / distortion / fish-eye effect ...

Anyhow, it's fantastic to see Gerald and Sean's work here. Amazing how much detail can be extracted from these raw images.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jul 13 2017, 12:41 PM
Post #42

A cylindrical projection of #60 looks like this:

Attached Image

The panorama images I'm usually creating, are projected to spherical coordinates from the perspective of the camera near the time of the exposure, with latitudes of the frame as horizontal axis, and the equator a vertical axis in the horizontal center. This ensures, that the images are about the same resolution as the raws, or some almost constant factor of the raw resolution.
Any significant deviation from this projection distorts, enlarges, or reduces the size of the pixels in the raws, resulting in a considerable loss of information, or in excessive supersampling, both in the same image.
The horizontal fov of the above spherical projections is 60 degrees. Ther vertical fov is up to 180 degrees. JunoCam looks from horizon to horizon, from only a small altitude compared to Jupiter's diameter.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jul 13 2017, 01:56 PM
Post #43

IMG to PNG GOD

QUOTE (GS_Brazil @ Jul 13 2017, 12:08 PM) *
How do I have to understand these images? I'm always under the impression that the middle of the image is exaggerated, and so the GRS seems to be much much bigger than what we would see on the traditional images. A kind of Fish-eye effect.
The 'original' ( I know this is composed and stitched from the real original R B G images ) image looks a bit more natural to me:

Is it because I'm used to rectangular images and the rounding at the top and bottom of the 'original' image as a matter look like being border of the planet?
In this context map I do see that that's not the case ...

This is a PJ-4 context map plus images from John Rogers' excellent summary of the PJ-4 JunoCam observations: https://britastro.org/node/9274
And yes, many of the processed GRS images exhibit a Fish-eye like effect due to the very large field of view. Here is for example a quick and dirty perspective render of image PJ7_60 from Juno's position when the PJ7_60 framelets were obtained. It has a field of view of 124 degrees (!), this very large FOV is needed to show all of Jupiter from limb to limb. For this not to look distorted you need to be *very* close to the screen when looking at the image.

Attached Image

EDIT: And here is also a perspective render showing what this could like like as seen from the Earth. Here the field of view is very small:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
GS_Brazil
post Jul 13 2017, 01:56 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 7733

QUOTE (Gerald @ Jul 13 2017, 09:41 AM) *
A cylindrical projection of #60 looks like this:

Attached Image

Gerald, thanks for the explanation. This image you are showing here looks natural to my eye, I don't see any distortion.
However, other images look very strange to me, like this one:
Approaching the Great Red Spot - Juno by Justin Cowart, no Flickr

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jul 13 2017, 02:07 PM
Post #45

IMG to PNG GOD

Note: I took the two perijove 7 threads ("Juno perijove 7" and "GRS images") and merged them into a single thread and renamed the resulting thread.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:55 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.