23 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Nasa announces new rover mission to Mars in 2020
PaulH51
post Sep 13 2019, 03:07 PM
Post #271

Group: Members
Member No.: 6853

I'm not quite sure how you can accurately measure the C of G without the MMRTG being installed or at least a dummy unit of the correct size / mass being used...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 13 2019, 07:38 PM
Post #272

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

As I understand it - these balance masses are entirely unrelated to EDL. The two cruise balance masses on one side of the backshell, and entry balance masses on the opposite side are designed so the vehicle is balanced during the spin stabilized cruise, then unbalanced before entry to give it the angle of attack required for guided entry, and then rebalanced before parachute deployment. I believe these total something around 150kg ejected both before entry, then before 'chute deployment.

The rover's CoG also needs to be characterized as part of the whole stack of the vehicle. It needs to match a conservatively predicted mass and CoG so as not to throw the rest of the vehicle off. The mass properties of the RTG are well known - you can 'balance' the vehicle without it, knowing how it will change the properties. You are not literally 'balancing' the vehicle on a spin table like that - you're simply characterizing the CoG. This is where the analogy of balancing a tyre kind of falls apart..... on one of those machines you actually need to balance it right then and there.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 13 2019, 08:59 PM
Post #273

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 13 2019, 11:38 AM) *
and then rebalanced before parachute deployment...

As part of the amusingly-named "straighten up and fly right" (SUFR) maneuver. See https://trs.jpl.nasa.gov/bitstream/handle/2...629/10-1775.pdf

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Sep 13 2019, 10:13 PM
Post #274

Member No.: 1102

Thanks to all who responded for adding insight into mass balance issues. A very interesting topic as most space craft issues are.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 13 2019, 10:17 PM
Post #275

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Sep 13 2019, 01:59 PM) *
As part of the amusingly-named "straighten up and fly right" (SUFR) maneuver.

Yeah - at one point they considered try to do it by pumping mercury around a fluid loop or something laugh.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 14 2019, 12:52 AM
Post #276

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

...what could possibly go wrong there...? laugh.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
John Whitehead
post Sep 16 2019, 11:40 PM
Post #277

Member No.: 3901

QUOTE (Floyd @ Sep 13 2019, 11:51 AM) *
Article on getting Mars 2020 center of gravity balanced Link
I'm a bit surprised...44 pounds of tungsten weights...44 pounds that scientist would love to add.
Maybe someone can explain why the position of components can't be re positioned slightly.

The article refers to 9 separate weights, so they average about 5 pounds, not the same thing as being able to accommodate a 44-pound instrument. The large number of weights and the use of a spin table seems consistent with "dynamic balancing," which is more than simply adjusting the c.g. position. Dynamic balancing orients the principal axes of inertia to avoid wobble when rotating. The engineer quoted in the article likened it to tire balancing at a gas station, perfectly appropriate except that the procedure is now done at automotive tire shops, rarely at "gas stations" anymore.
Repositioning components would be complicated, considering many hard constraints on component locations, and presumably it would be taboo to drill new mounting holes in the frame at this late stage of assembly in the clean room. Adjustable mounting brackets for components could be an engineering nightmare, adding extra weight and the possibility of things shaking loose and changing position.
Thanks Floyd for posting the September 12 article, I was wondering why the rover has been absent from the regular clean room webcam view this past week. <https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/mission/where-is-the-rover/>

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Oct 7 2019, 09:30 PM
Post #278

Member No.: 196

interesting quick read on the landing vision system on arsTechnica
i'd almost forgotten about this addition, more info

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Oct 8 2019, 01:01 AM
Post #279

QUOTE (atomoid @ Oct 7 2019, 01:30 PM) *
the landing vision system...

Huh. I wonder who built this camera? I haven't seen anything public about it anywhere. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Oct 12 2019, 12:18 AM
Post #280

Member No.: 196

I havent seen that either, although some interesting (if brief) details on p.7,8 of this pdf here

+Quote Post
mrpotatomoto
post Oct 31 2019, 08:12 PM
Post #281

Member No.: 6541

I'm curious: are there reasons to suspect that Jezero crater is more likely to preserve signs of ancient life (had it existed) compared to Gale crater?

I know that they're both ancient lake systems, with Jezero being an open lake system and Gale being a closed one. Does that or other differences influence biosignature preservation?

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 31 2019, 08:44 PM
Post #282

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

It's because of the delta within Jezero. More here: https://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakda...2020-rover.html

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
mrpotatomoto
post Oct 31 2019, 08:57 PM
Post #283

Member No.: 6541

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Oct 31 2019, 09:44 PM) *
It's because of the delta within Jezero. More here: https://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakda...2020-rover.html

Thanks! Great article.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jan 14 2020, 01:35 PM
Post #284

Semifinalists of naming contest announced: https://www.futureengineers.org/nametherover

--------------------

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Jan 14 2020, 02:20 PM
Post #285

Member No.: 12

Nice to see that I was not alone in thinking Clarity would be an appropriate name.

+Quote Post

23 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:21 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.