IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Manned Landing On Titan, Issues & Answers?
Juramike
post Nov 29 2007, 03:54 PM
Post #61

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 29 2007, 07:51 AM) *
That's GENIUS.

Doug

(I can't take credit for it)

(But you can buy the T-shirt: http://www.redmolotov.com/catalogue/design...ionprecipitate)

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Nov 29 2007, 07:04 PM
Post #62

Group: Members
Member No.: 618

QUOTE (Juramike @ Nov 29 2007, 02:42 AM) *
(It is comforting to note that Huygens didn't get blown up when it landed.)

-Mike

Are you sure we know how many times it landed?
cool.gif

--------------------
My Grandpa goes to Mars every day and all I get are these lousy T-shirts!

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 30 2007, 07:51 AM
Post #63

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

QUOTE (Shaka @ Nov 29 2007, 11:04 AM) *
Are you sure we know how many times it landed?
cool.gif

laugh.gif ...we'd have to rename it the "Wile E. Coyote Memorial Station"...

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Nov 30 2007, 11:45 AM
Post #64

Member No.: 174

"Do you have a reference for this? I poked around a little and couldn't find anything...."

This was being presented back in the late 80's at Lunar and Planetary Science Conferrences, post Voyager-2 at Triton. Results may/probably-are also in DPS and AGU Spring/Fall meeting abstracts.

re: "Wile E. Coyote Memorial Station"
ROTFLMAO.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 1 2007, 10:10 AM
Post #65

Merciless Robot

smile.gif ...thank you, Ed, but all credit to Shaka for that mental image!

Damn interesting, though. We've been thinking of organics as essentially inert, but quite obviously they're not else life on Earth wouldn't have happened in the first place. Titan's chemosynthetic history & capabilities are unknown, and it will probably take several generations of surface probes to shed enough light to enable manned exploration...

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Dec 1 2007, 03:00 PM
Post #66

Member No.: 1764

Re: stuff blowing up on Titan

QUOTE (Juramike @ Nov 28 2007, 04:15 PM) *
Do you have a reference for this? I poked around a little and couldn't find anything.

But it might be possible: Some possible culprits would be diazomethane (CH2N2) and even more hazardous cousins diazidomethane and triazidomethane (HC[N3]2).

Solid acetylene (C2H2) can polymerize explosively. Some wag in the early 1990s suggested that
Huygens' landing might set the whole planet off

But of course, meteorite impacts or shockwaves from tunguska-like breakups etc. would do that
on a regular basis anyway, so the accumulation of explosives will not be large

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 1 2007, 03:45 PM
Post #67

Merciless Robot

Well, assuming for the moment that we're not likely to hop across the surface from multiple "land-mine" encounters, how would a large manned vehicle (LM-class or better) execute EDL? Seems easier at first glance than landing on Mars because of the thicker atmosphere & lower gravity (and lower initial orbital velocity to shed).

Side note- "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate"...comedian Steven Wright, no? That guy is absolutely brilliant.

--------------------

+Quote Post
David
post Dec 2 2007, 02:36 AM
Post #68

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (nprev @ Dec 1 2007, 03:45 PM) *
Well, assuming for the moment that we're not likely to hop across the surface from multiple "land-mine" encounters, how would a large manned vehicle (LM-class or better) execute EDL? Seems easier at first glance than landing on Mars because of the thicker atmosphere & lower gravity (and lower initial orbital velocity to shed).

There's always the possibility of splashdown!

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 2 2007, 05:57 AM
Post #69

Merciless Robot

QUOTE (David @ Dec 1 2007, 06:36 PM) *
There's always the possibility of splashdown!

True, given accurate targeting...but then what?

I'd hate to have to design an auxiliary propulsion system to get the damn thing near the shore (remember, we're talking a manned vehicle here), to say nothing of disembarcation...lots of complexities here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Dec 2 2007, 08:35 AM
Post #70

Member No.: 15

How effectively, given current materials technology, can we insulate the "ground" where we would locate a Titanian habitat from the heat within the hab?

Seems to me we're going to have to limit heat leakage from the hab *very* selectively, or else the "ground" (or at least some of it) will become liquid where in direct contact... thereby alleviating your worries, Nick. No matter what we do, she'll eventually end up afloat, regardless!

smile.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
David
post Dec 2 2007, 05:19 PM
Post #71

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (nprev @ Dec 2 2007, 05:57 AM) *
True, given accurate targeting...but then what?

I'd hate to have to design an auxiliary propulsion system to get the damn thing near the shore

Oh, I can think of a reasonably simple and deployable auxiliary propulsion system -- it would consist of a thin, tough, cold-resistant fabric stretched between two or more spars...

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 2 2007, 07:04 PM
Post #72

Merciless Robot

Ahrrr...har, har, har, David! tongue.gif Yeah, I'm thinkin' that playing mast monkey in a spacesuit even at 0.25G might not be the safest way to go...(although I hear the Navy guys from another thread cheering in the background)...

oDoug, that's a scary thought. Only thing that could be done is, assuming that the habitat/lander is basically a Dewar flask, limiting the internal vessel physical interfaces to & beyond the outer shell so that heat conduction is controllable: I'd use some thick, heavily insulated copper cabling (unless an advanced superconductor is available 200 years from now when all this might happen) attached near each interface point about 100m long, and stick the business end into the "soil" that far out...let it melt over there, not near the habitat. Notice also that this most effectively provides electrical grounding for the lander.

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:46 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.