Closed TopicStart new topic
Dawn Survey Orbit Phase, First orbital phase
algorimancer
post Aug 4 2011, 02:38 PM
Post #241

Group: Members
Member No.: 285

QUOTE (MarkG @ Aug 3 2011, 01:55 PM) *
Ring decay seems unlikely to explain most of the grooves, since many of them (especially the far-northern big ones) are not "great circles" and thus curve along the surface...

I agree, not all of the grooves are obviously due to ring decay. The most obvious candidates are the circum-equatorial grooves, though they seem to overlay grooves in different planes as well. The great-circle nature of the grooves will be easier to ascertain once a good 3D model of the surface is in hand. I suspect that a sufficiently "weird" gravity field may not necessarily prevent rings from forming, but would likely accelerate their decay.

I've been puzzled by the curving, non-great-circle grooves, and have had a difficult time explaining them. It occurs to me that if they are near the pole, and the ring decay is episodic, then they might be explainable in terms of a combination of the decay with rotation of Vesta. I can also envision a ring warped by interaction with a "weird" gravity field or satellite prior to impact as yielding these odd grooves. I really wish I had the resources to model this sort of thing :/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
t_oner
post Aug 4 2011, 04:38 PM
Post #242

Member No.: 508

QUOTE (chuckclark @ Aug 4 2011, 04:16 PM) *
With all this incredible photography, Vesta is going to be an excellent specimen for a foldable map.
Tayfun -- are you out there with your CADCAM machine still operable? How long until we have enough data (a "shape model" do they call it?) for you to carve one for me of this beast, er, lady?
Chuck

A model seems a few years away, why don't you try to transfer your methods into software environment.

+Quote Post
chuckclark
post Aug 4 2011, 05:45 PM
Post #243

Member No.: 3967

QUOTE (Tayfun Öner @ Aug 4 2011, 11:38 AM) *
A model seems a few years away, why don't you try to transfer your methods into software environment.

No way I can see to extract the constant scale, not to say that I haven't been trying to transfer my Renaissance-era methods into the software environment.
Although to be fair, I'm not very skillful with PDS shape models, and perhaps someone else could do it.

I guess we may have to wait a few years, although the Itokawa team sent me a model a while back. You don't suppose the Dawn team has any plans to manufacture a small run of Vesta models?
Chuck

+Quote Post
charborob
post Aug 4 2011, 06:53 PM
Post #244

Member No.: 3908

A new image has been posted here. Are we supposed to expect regular image releases from now on?

+Quote Post
Stu
post Aug 4 2011, 07:07 PM
Post #245

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (chuckclark @ Aug 4 2011, 06:45 PM) *
You don't suppose the Dawn team has any plans to manufacture a small run of Vesta models?

Probably best not to hold your breath for that. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 4 2011, 07:10 PM
Post #246

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (charborob @ Aug 4 2011, 08:53 PM) *
A new image has been posted here.

Nice. This one appears to lack the resize and unsharp/high pass filtering of some of the recent press release images.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stefan
post Aug 4 2011, 08:13 PM
Post #247

Member No.: 1364

QUOTE (ugordan @ Aug 4 2011, 09:10 PM) *
Nice. This one appears to lack the resize and unsharp/high pass filtering of some of the recent press release images.

Nice you noticed! The image was created from the calibrated data product, and I try to alter it as little as possible. After all, y'all need something to do in your spare time. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
t_oner
post Aug 4 2011, 08:18 PM
Post #248

QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 4 2011, 10:07 PM) *
Probably best not to hold your breath for that. wink.gif

Here is a first try from the rotation movie.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
kap
post Aug 4 2011, 08:25 PM
Post #249

Member No.: 6055

QUOTE (charborob @ Aug 4 2011, 10:53 AM) *
A new image has been posted here. Are we supposed to expect regular image releases from now on?

Anyone care to speculate on that long curved dark scar crossing a bunch of the left had side of the image? Re: regular images, Vesta is in survey orbit so it's probably taking way more pictures since the camera doesn't need to be turned away to thrust. Who knows if they will release more images just because they are capturing them.

-kap

+Quote Post
machi
post Aug 4 2011, 08:26 PM
Post #250

Member No.: 4057

Wow, that's very nice first try rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Aug 4 2011, 09:28 PM
Post #251

Member No.: 4270

Nice! I don't suppose that could be made available for download? smile.gif

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Aug 4 2011, 09:31 PM
Post #252

Member No.: 1004

QUOTE (charborob @ Aug 4 2011, 08:53 PM) *
A new image has been posted here.

Any idea of what we are looking at? northern or southern hemisphere? it would be nice if the release had some context, not just the picture...

+Quote Post
t_oner
post Aug 4 2011, 09:38 PM
Post #253

QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Aug 5 2011, 12:28 AM) *
Nice! I don't suppose that could be made available for download? smile.gif

First I will try some mapping, I don't know if it would be possible without image geometry data (maybe Phil could do it). I will upload it then.

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Aug 4 2011, 09:40 PM
Post #254

Member No.: 4270

QUOTE (Paolo @ Aug 4 2011, 04:31 PM) *
Any idea of what we are looking at?
Northern hemisphere. I recognise the shape of the scar at the top of the image. That darker curved mark is the same that was visible in one of the press release images.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
pablogm1024
post Aug 4 2011, 11:06 PM
Post #255

Member No.: 6038

QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Aug 4 2011, 10:40 PM) *
Northern hemisphere. I recognise the shape of the scar at the top of the image. That darker curved mark is the same that was visible in one of the press release images.

Let me correct you quickly the shadowed part on the top left is in the northern hemisphere, but the equator basically runs in diagonal from top left to bottom right. See the annotated image. I will keep helping you with the orientation until someone prepares a map that can help you all. In the meantime, try not to guess. As soon as I have a chance I will give you the orientation of the images.
Tayfun, your shape model is outstanding!
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:56 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.