47 Pages V  « < 44 45 46 47 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
South from the landing site, sols 72-237, Starting the science traverse
tau
post Sep 29 2021, 04:53 PM
Post #676

Group: Members
Member No.: 9017

The closest Mastcam Z image from sol 213 with 110 mm focal length missed the SuperCam RMI target from sol 214 by only a few centimeters

Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
serpens
post Sep 30 2021, 03:41 AM
Post #677

Member No.: 4605

QUOTE (tdemko @ Sep 28 2021, 04:35 AM) *
.....I'm sticking with my subaqueous sediment gravity flow/turbidite interpretation until I see something inconsistent.

Just for clarity Tim. You previously mentioned the delta front for gravity flow/turbide deposition. While these rocks tend to have moved around somewhat, given the apparent lack of dip, do you mean the delta toe? Apologies if I'm missing something obvious.

+Quote Post
tau
post Sep 30 2021, 01:12 PM
Post #678

Another SuperCam RMI from sol 214 with Mastcam-Z context from sol 213.
A two-step stereoscopic grain-size measurement gives a diameter of about 0.25 to 0.4 mm for the small visible grains (medium sand according
to the Wentworth scale) covering the plane between some coarse grains and irregularly shaped rock fragments in the SuperCam image.

Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Sep 30 2021, 03:39 PM
Post #679

Member No.: 105

QUOTE (tau @ Sep 30 2021, 08:12 AM) *
Another SuperCam RMI from sol 214 with Mastcam-Z context from sol 213.

Attached Image

What is that disturbance in the sand behind the scale bars? The Rover wheels haven't been there, nor has the instrument Arm. And Laser Zaaps! don't fluff up the soil like that.

Martian soil is generally interesting. We need kilograms of samples!

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
tau
post Sep 30 2021, 04:21 PM
Post #680

It was the laser.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Sep 30 2021, 06:12 PM
Post #681

Member No.: 105

Interesting bit of information. I wasn't aware that the soil reacted like that to the Laser.
I recall that the drill cuttings at an earlier stop fused into glassy lumps. But that this soil reacts so strongly to the Laser's heat implies hydrated minerals which could suggest particular weathering processes.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
tau
post Sep 30 2021, 07:52 PM
Post #682

Hydrated minerals are not required for this effect.
The SuperCam uses its laser, among other things, for laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy.
A powerful laser beam vaporizes a tiny target volume and converts it into plasma.
This acts like a small explosion sufficient to blow away surrounding particles.

+Quote Post
tdemko
post Sep 30 2021, 09:22 PM
Post #683

Member No.: 9

QUOTE (serpens @ Sep 29 2021, 10:41 PM) *
Just for clarity Tim. You previously mentioned the delta front for gravity flow/turbide deposition. While these rocks tend to have moved around somewhat, given the apparent lack of dip, do you mean the delta toe? Apologies if I'm missing something obvious.

No, I think you are more correct here. We've seen some of the later foreset successions in the cliff faces. If these beds are what I think they are, the subaqueous sediment gravity flows would have originated either as collapse of the mouthbars or lip of the delta, and then flowed down the foreset/delta front, to the toeset, and potentially out onto the lake floor. If the river inflow was dense enough, hyperpyncnal underflows (which are also sediment gravity flows) could also have generated similar deposits. The thin-bedded nature of the outcrops in question look to me like either toesets or parts of fans that would have been deposited outboard of the foreset/toeset strata.

--------------------
Tim Demko
BioLink site

+Quote Post
serpens
post Oct 1 2021, 05:06 AM
Post #684

Member No.: 4605

QUOTE (tau @ Sep 30 2021, 02:12 PM) *
A two-step stereoscopic grain-size measurement gives a diameter of about 0.25 to 0.4 mm for the small visible grains (medium sand according
to the Wentworth scale) covering the plane between some coarse grains and irregularly shaped rock fragments in the SuperCam image.

As far as I know we have not seen any large clasts in surrounding rocks and the rock fragments you note look like conglomerates consisting of small particles. The effect of the laser shots may indicate that there is a desert pavement effect here with the underlying particles extremely fine. Potentially fallout of suspended load in Tim Denko's deposition model. I wonder whether the small particle size indicates a lower energy flow than was necessary for the formation of the main deltas. Potentially transport and deposition in a drier period or even prior to the breach of the crater wall by the input rivers as water entered through fractures, undermining the wall. Certainly there is no possibility that the crater wall was overtopped.

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Oct 1 2021, 12:33 PM
Post #685

Member No.: 678

Sol 213 MastcamZ panoramic at 34mm. This is our parking spot during the solar conjunction. Including a dust devil biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
tau
post Oct 3 2021, 05:04 PM
Post #686

Sol 213 Mastcam-Z with greatly enhanced colors and contrasts.
This would make a nice backdrop for the sand ships in Ray Bradbury's "Martian Chronicles".

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 4 2021, 06:07 PM
Post #687

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Here is a nice mission journal from the Supercam team in France. There are a few target names in it which I am adding to maps.

Phil

https://supercam.cnes.fr/fr/journal-de-bord...ot-perseverance

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 4 2021, 06:09 PM
Post #688

And here:

https://fiso.spiritastro.net/telecon/Bapst-...wMaser_9-29-21/

is a presentation about Ingenuity with a PDF of slides and an MP3 of the talk.

There is a map with feature names, but it's barely legible. I can pick out a few to use. Can anyone figure out the name of the crater just south of the landing site?

Phil

--------------------

Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 4 2021, 11:49 PM
Post #689

With help from Mike I found this page:

https://rps.nasa.gov/resources/115/nasas-pe...dziilii-crater/

so there's another name.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Oct 8 2021, 06:07 AM
Post #690

Member No.: 6853

Unless there is a large dark rock next to Ingenuity then its blades / shadow are also included in this crop from this HiRISE image https://www.uahirise.org/ESP_071077_1985

Attached Image

+Quote Post

47 Pages V  « < 44 45 46 47 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 01:22 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.