Reply to this topicStart new topic
East side of Cape York, Sol 3040 - 3056
Bill Harris
post Aug 31 2012, 04:21 PM
Post #106

Group: Members
Member No.: 105

QUOTE (Serpens)
...how we could differentiate between ballistically emplaced Endeavour impact ejecta... and uplift rim, which would be the Miyamoto ejecta field materiel.

...if we can identify clays did they develop within the rim or were they formed in the pre Endeavour impact environment?
Precisely the quandry here, Serpens. This area has a complex and long history running from the Noachian to the present. Starting out as extrusive basalts (and possibly intrusive gabbros) the surface has been modified by impact and other erosive processes, chemically and physically weathered, transported by fluvial and aeolian processes and the resulting mix has been subjected to secondary lithogenesis. Endeavout Crater is a recent event in a long line of continuing processes. Without a decent geologic cross-section here we need to be very clever and make good assumptions. I think that the James Wray paper noted by centsworthII a couple of posts up is a good beginning.

I'm glad to see taht Oppy is taking a look at these shiny features, outcrops, beds, lithologies and lineations that we've been drooling over since we left the Whim feature. The very name "Half Fin" (P2402) is intriguing...

--Bill

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
walfy
post Sep 1 2012, 08:37 PM
Post #107

Group: Members
Member No.: 5161

A hazcam shot from sol 3051. Besides the wonderful shadow, it looks like the right-front wheel was used to plow up the soil.

Attached Image

Edit: just noticed that it plowed through a vein, kicking up some of the bright rocks.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Sep 2 2012, 12:55 AM
Post #108

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

I don't think it was intentional. This happens because the RF steer actuator is locked and when we do a turn in place clockwise the RF wheel plows the soil with the outside wall. When we turn counterclockwise the RF wheel scoops soil in the wheel well. We used to limit turn in place turns because of that, apparently they don't anymore.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Sep 2 2012, 01:35 AM
Post #109

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

These are the droids you've been looking for.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:45 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.