Reply to this topicStart new topic
New Horizons late cruise, 500 Millions kms - ~200 million kms
Alan Stern
post Sep 8 2014, 03:50 PM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 173

QUOTE (Xerxes @ Sep 8 2014, 02:52 PM) *
Is there a PPoD archive? I got here a bit late and due to my busy job might not make it every day.

(It seems like just yesterday when I had time to spend all day at my desk F5ing Where Is NH? until it crossed Lunar orbit.)

We're implementing an archive, also a subscribe (i.e., push) service. Should be just a couple of weeks now...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Sep 14 2014, 01:24 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 173

QUOTE (Alan Stern @ Sep 8 2014, 03:50 PM) *
We're implementing an archive, also a subscribe (i.e., push) service. Should be just a couple of weeks now...

We got first light on Hydra in July, data only revealed it this month; story here: http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/news_center/news/20140912.php

+Quote Post
Aldebaran
post Sep 14 2014, 09:29 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 90

A question from a layman:

New Horizons is currently in Sagittarius as viewed from the Earth, and given its relative proximity to Pluto and the relatively low gravity of the Pluto system, it seems likely from the geometry that it will continue in that direction (roughly towards the centre of the galaxy). I realise that it may be diverted to a Kuiper body object, which may change that bearing)

Given that we have a solar orbital velocity of 200km/s around the galaxy, if we superimpose New Horizon's solar-centric velocity of 14.6km/s (towards Sagittarius), does this mean that NH will very gradually spiral towards the galactic centre? - or is that a naive idea?

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Sep 14 2014, 10:15 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 6780

It will very roughly move along a Kepler ellipse around the galactic center.
But because the field of gravity of the Milky Way is poorly approximated by a mass point, instead better by a disk, the trajectory will additionally oscillate about the galactic plane.

+Quote Post
Aldebaran
post Sep 14 2014, 10:47 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 90

QUOTE (Gerald @ Sep 14 2014, 10:15 AM) *
It will very roughly move along a Kepler ellipse around the galactic center.
But because the field of gravity of the Milky Way is poorly approximated by a mass point, instead better by a disk, the trajectory will additionally oscillate about the galactic plane.

Thank you.

+Quote Post
John Sargent
post Sep 18 2014, 04:21 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 7255

LOONNNGGG time watcher, first time poster.....

I was telling my 7 year old son about New Horizons (he was born on the one-year aniversary of the launch). He was particulary interested in the remoteness of Pluto and was astonished when I told him about how the sun is much less bright way out there on the edge of the solar system. Does anyone have a good practical way of simulating the lighting conditions out there? For example, is the amount of available light similar to the moonlight on a full moon night? Thanks

+Quote Post
john_s
post Sep 18 2014, 04:28 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 117

Sure- sunlight is about 1000x fainter on Pluto than on Earth (~32x further from the sun, and the sun's brightness goes as 1/R^2). That sounds like a lot, but the human eye is amazingly adaptable- we can see fairly well in full moonlight, which is about a million times fainter than sunlight.

Illumination on Pluto is something like ordinary subdued indoor domestic lighting like you might have at home in the evening. If you have a camera which reports exposures settings you can check this- for a pair of similarly-exposed photos, illumination of the scene is proportional to (f-stop)^2/(exposure time). ["^2" means "squared"]

[edit] As an example, if you expose an outdoor scene at 1/250th second at f11, and an indoor scene (with the same ISO) at 1/8th second at f2, the brightness ratio of the two scenes is about 950x.

John

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Sep 18 2014, 04:31 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 5221

The Sun would be a point, not a disc, but still be over 200 times the brightness of the full moon (an average, given the elliptical orbit).
Phil Plait has a good article on this:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastro...sun-from-pluto/

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 18 2014, 04:35 PM
Post #54

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I believe it's about 250x brighter than a full moon. About 1/1500th as bright as the Sun at Earth.

Someone may want to check my maths on this....but....

One way to express it is with a camera. If you go outside with a DSLR and open the aperture fairly wide - you might get an exposure of, say, 1/4000th of a second ( the quickest exposure on many off the shelf consumer DSLR's )

Find a place where the same aperture results in an exposure of about 1/3rd of a second. That's how much darker it is on Pluto compared to the Earth.

Alternatively - it's like going from an aperture of F2 to F38....but without the added benefit of great depth of field smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Sep 18 2014, 05:02 PM
Post #55

I guess, you intended to write "F1 to F38".
For the other values I got about the same.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 18 2014, 05:16 PM
Post #56

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Yeah - I as thinking of my 50mm F1.4 - but rounded up tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Roby72
post Sep 18 2014, 08:18 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 89

A good way to simulate the brightness of the sun at pluto imho is when a solar eclipse at earth comes close to the totality phase.
I think about 15 to 10 minutes before totality arrives is just about the same brightness level at pluto..but this is only rough guess and depends on the eclipse geometry.
Could one do the math for this please ?

Shadows during this eclipse phase on earth are strange because of the thin sun sickle..shadows at pluto must be still more sharper with almost no penumbra visible.

Robert

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Sep 18 2014, 08:43 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (Roby72 @ Sep 18 2014, 09:18 PM) *
shadows at pluto must be sharper with almost no penumbra visible.

I have on just a couple of occasions managed to observe shadows cast by Venus. They are very faint because of course the surface brightness of Venus is thousands of times less than the Sun. But they are also very sharp, making the shadows of near and far tree branches impossible to distinguish. In terms of angular size our Venus is about the same as Pluto's Sun.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Sep 18 2014, 10:09 PM
Post #59

QUOTE (Roby72 @ Sep 18 2014, 10:18 PM) *
A good way to simulate the brightness of the sun at pluto imho is when a solar eclipse at earth comes close to the totality phase.
I think about 15 to 10 minutes before totality arrives is just about the same brightness level at pluto..but this is only rough guess and depends on the eclipse geometry.
Could one do the math for this please ?

With a month of 29.5 days and an angular size of 32' for Sun and Moon, I get 3.2 seconds before/after totality to reduce brightness by a factor of 1500:
29.5d * 32' * 4 / 360° / 1500 / pi = 3.2 s.
(The dependence of the area of the visible part of the Sun from time should converge towards linear near totality in this idealized case of zero totality time, 2nd order equivalent to a horizontally shrinking rectangle with constant height 32'. A circle (area r²pi) is a little smaller than a circumscribed square (area 4r²), therefore the factor 4/pi.)
It's a little longer before/after totality for a larger angular size of the Moon, but further detail would be off topic in this thread.

+Quote Post
hendric
post Sep 19 2014, 12:17 AM
Post #60

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

A fun experiment would to be get a room and cover the windows so that only 1/1000 of the area is window is uncovered. That would give an idea of how bright it would be inside a house anyways.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:15 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.