3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Cosmos-1, the solar sail mission
edstrick
post Jun 21 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 174

Was the kick-stage a solid motor?.... they have been known to rupture or detonate during the burn.
<eep!>
cross fingers and pray to the launch-gods.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
buddy1475
post Jun 22 2005, 02:23 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 332

We shuld just be happy that they didnt fire the wrong ICBM.

+Quote Post
deglr6328
post Jun 22 2005, 04:44 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 190

Telemetry received from Kamchatka! biggrin.gif They suspect its in an improper orbit though.

+Quote Post
dilo
post Jun 22 2005, 05:34 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 150

QUOTE (buddy1475 @ Jun 22 2005, 02:23 AM)
We shuld just be happy that they didnt fire the wrong ICBM.

biggrin.gif tongue.gif ... mad.gif
From last blog:"Where could we be? Odds are, if it was a problem with the launch vehicle, [...] our orbit is more likely elliptical than circular, and also lower, and therefore faster than we expect. Without knowing where the spacecraft is, it becomes harder and harder to find as we go out from the launch date. Strategic Command has not seen the spacecraft -- we don't know why."
The american space surveillance system should be able to track it... however, if orbit is lower than expected, there isn't much hope to save the mission (fast orbit decay, especially after sail deploy)... sad.gif

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Jun 22 2005, 07:39 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 174

If the periapsis is below some fairly well determined altitude, even if the orbit is stable, the spacecraft will have too much aerodynamic drag to successfully deploy the sails, I suspect.

Does the spacecraft have any propulsion at all, even by using up a good fraction of the attitude control <I presume it has that> propellant?

If periapsis is way too low, the spacecraft could do 1 or 2 or 10 orbits and then decay. That's in the slightly sub-90-miles altitude range.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 22 2005, 09:18 AM
Post #21

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

And as fans of orbiter know - the kick need to raise from say 500x90 to 500x500 isnt that much iirc

(goes away, opens orbiter)

Yeah - from a 500km x 90km orbit - I was at 7055m/sec and needed to raise that to 7174 m/s to circularise at 500k (ish) - we're taking 120m/sec. I doubt, to be honest, if it's got that much kick on board.

Depending on the current atmos. conditions, 90km might be enough to kill it in half a dozen orbits or it might survive a dozen or so - who knows. Sans-sails, it's fairly small so not that

This might turn out to be one of those amazing mission-rescue jobs, or it might turn out to be a total loss sad.gif

Pity - I was really looking forward to spotting it with heavens-above.com

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Jun 22 2005, 11:28 AM
Post #22

Guests

It's a shame they havent been able to launch it on something a bit more reliable - but that would dramaticlly increase the cost. Didn't the last attempt also fail due to a problem with the launch vehicle?

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 22 2005, 11:40 AM
Post #23

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

They had a pair of the solar sails packed onto an experimental craft that came to nothing iirc, the idea being a simple lob into space - deploy the sails as a test, then jettison and re-entry in a sub-orbital mode, but nothing came of it.

I suppose they could have gone with a Dnepr - they've worked a few times and are bound to be a similar price http://www.russianspaceweb.com/dnepr.html

Doug

+Quote Post
deglr6328
post Jun 22 2005, 09:37 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 190

Latest news----> its dead. Planetary Soc. weblog confirms it is a suspected launch vehicle failure and signals recieved yesterday were just "phantoms". sad.gif oh well.

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Jun 23 2005, 12:03 AM
Post #25

Guests

Yep, R.I.P. Cosmos 1. The booster's FIRST stage failed only 83 seconds after launch:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/a...sc/solar_sail_7

Interesting that it took the Russians so long to admit it.

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Jun 23 2005, 10:37 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 239

Perhaps the success of the X-Prize will result in the 'Solar Regatta' being revamped. Hand launch from the ISS anyone? After SuitSat *anything* is possible!

"Aaargh, Jim lad, takes me back, man and boy, thirty years afore the Kevlar ™ mast... ...roger the cabin-boy... ...splice the mainframe..."

"Just fire the Photon Torpedoes will you, Mr Scott?"

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
hal_9000
post Jun 28 2005, 10:41 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 358

There is a Cosmos 1 launch video on Planetary Society's site!
http://planetary.org/solarsail/launch_video.html
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Oct 3 2005, 04:38 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 430

TPS trying for Cosmos 2 - but without the Volna rocket

"We are comfortable with the conclusion that Cosmos 1 never made it to orbit because the launch vehicle failed. But we are not comfortable with the reason it happened: the Volna selected for our payload had not been upgraded to correct a known failure mode. We will not fly on a Volna again. We’ve learned that lesson—and it was certainly a hard one. We are now ready to find a new launch vehicle, establish better launch vehicle interfaces, and try again to fly the first solar sail spacecraft."

http://planetary.org/solarsail/update_20050930.html

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Dec 8 2005, 06:27 PM
Post #29

December 2 , 2005

The Planetary Society solar sail team is working to try again to fly the world’s first solar sail spacecraft. With a tested spacecraft design, almost all flight components available, and at least two attractive launch vehicle possibilities, we are well positioned to reach our goal.

We’ve made considerable progress: Our Lavochkin/Space Research Institute team in Russia has identified two promising and affordable launch vehicles candidates for our spacecraft.

The rest is here:

http://www.planetary.org/programs/projects...e_20051202.html

--------------------
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post May 5 2006, 07:24 PM
Post #30

The Planetary Society (TPS) Executive Director Louis Friedman has
announced that plans are underway for Cosmos 2.

The details here:

http://www.space.com/adastra/adastra_isdc_musk_060504.html

The relief part is that they will be using a Soyuz-Fregat or Cosmos 3M
launcher to get Cosmos 2 into Earth orbit as a piggyback payload.

They may be more expensive rockets, but look what happened when
we tried to launch Cosmos 1 on the cheap.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:34 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.