29 Pages V  « < 25 26 27 28 29 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
Dawn Survey Orbit Phase, First orbital phase
Explorer1
post Aug 22 2011, 07:21 PM
Post #391

Group: Members
Member No.: 5221

Our first good look at the northern hemisphere, if I'm interpreting it right. Very ancient looking.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Aug 22 2011, 11:10 PM
Post #392

Member No.: 655

Visually very similar - Phoebe v Vesta
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Aug 24 2011, 05:12 PM
Post #393

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

False-color coordinated image released by the Dawn spacecraft team today as PIA14680.

Attached Image

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Aug 24 2011, 05:16 PM
Post #394

So...shallow fresh craters make visually bright (false-color yellow) stuff (iron-rich material), will deep craters dredge up dark (false-color orange) iron-poor material.

What is the really-dark false-color blue stuff? Melted iron-poor stuff in cracks and fractures or iron-poor poofy dust?

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 24 2011, 07:45 PM
Post #395

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Poofy dust? (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Aug 24 2011, 11:58 PM
Post #396

Member No.: 3995

Is the dark, blue-purple color due to some spectral signature, or is it the effect that a darkish to nearly black material has on the false-color scheme?

Or both?

Or something else altogether?

FWIW, 'poofy dust' has my vote. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Aug 25 2011, 01:17 AM
Post #397

It is definitely darker in the "normal" grayscale image (clear filtered image? centered at wavelength...?) So it is low albedo.

From the description of the false color image since it is "brightest" in blue wavelengths, it means that:
the ratio of 750 nm to 450 nm is v. low (dark in red channel of the false color image)
the ratio of 950 nm to 750 nm is v. low (dark in green channel of false color image thus iron poor (iron absorbance at 1000 nm)
the ratio of 450 nm to 750 nm is relatively highest, (brighter in blue channel of the false color image)

So it is a "dark blue rock", or at least not as much visible red as the other rocks. No clue by how much the ratio is. The rock might appear only dark bluish even if you totally jacked up the saturation of a normal photograph.

'Course this could also be a grain size effect. I'm trying to remember if smaller grains are generally bluer or redder given the same composition. Help?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 25 2011, 06:18 PM
Post #398

Member No.: 523

Well, this is just lovely...

--------------------

+Quote Post
john_s
post Aug 25 2011, 06:20 PM
Post #399

Member No.: 117

QUOTE (Juramike @ Aug 24 2011, 06:17 PM) *
'Course this could also be a grain size effect. I'm trying to remember if smaller grains are generally bluer or redder given the same composition. Help?

Small grains of reddish materials (i.e. most rocks) should be less red than larger grains, because the smaller particles scatter more and absorb less. The reverse is true for bluish materials such as water ice- smaller grains (snow) look less blue than larger grains (big chunks of ice).

John

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 25 2011, 06:28 PM
Post #400

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

This latest image of the south polar central mound is really cool-looking but I just don't know what to make of all of the different ridgy textures at all different scales. Any geologists out there want to try some arm-waving?

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 25 2011, 06:32 PM
Post #401

Member No.: 523

That kind of reminds me of Rhea's splat crater from up close.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 25 2011, 06:38 PM
Post #402

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I don't know if I agree. That texture outside the Rhea splat crater is pretty reminiscent of chevron-like patterns in ejecta that you see in lunar craters too. This is decidedly different. The parallel ridge sets definitely seem tectonic. But there'll be a few parallel ridges in one place, then some in another place with a different orientation and spacing, and some places where things cross.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Aug 25 2011, 06:58 PM
Post #403

Member No.: 4489

Well, this is just lovely...

18 to 24 months ....

Someone with "first use" must be waiting for a grant to come through ????
If not then what ?

------------
but I just don't know what to make of all of the different ridgy textures at all different scales. Any geologists out there want to try some arm-waving?

dose GEOlogy even apply to a lose collection of gravel
The parallel ridge sets definitely seem tectonic

they look more like what one sees when hitting or pushing a damp sand castle at the beach

or better yet
forking a peanutbutter cookie - with macadamia nuts

a sticky loose conglomerate

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 25 2011, 07:16 PM
Post #404

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I'd say lots of normal faulting as the surface adjusts to a significant change in shape, post-impact.

"does GEOlogy even apply to a loose collection of gravel"

Sure does! Geologists frequently work with unconsolidated materials.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Aug 25 2011, 10:30 PM
Post #405

Member No.: 3995

My arm-waving interpretation of the surface within the South Pole Basin smile.gif :

[attachment=25375:Vesta_so...volution.PNG]

Here, sections of the rim slump down and crumple as they slide against and around the central mound. More slumps slide down and deform the existing deposits. After awhile, there is a (*subtly*) Enceladus-like jumbled mess.

The slumping process was relatively fast at first, but slower creeping of material would have continued to deform the surface over time.

I'm not sure about the parallel features on the central mound. Perhaps the debris flows placed some stress on the edifice as they piled up.

-----

This corkscrew-like feature here:

[attachment=25376:Vesta_sausage.JPG]

reminds me of the 'sausage factory' on Enceladus:

[attachment=25377:Enceladus_sausage.jpg]

It looks as if the surface here was stressed in one direction and then 'rolled' in another.

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  « < 25 26 27 28 29 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:21 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.