+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Dec 17 2018, 10:31 PM
Post #302

Group: Members
Member No.: 6853

QUOTE (Zeehond @ Dec 18 2018, 04:25 AM) *
.....SEIS has been grappled

Looks like the operations schedule provided on the SEIS web page is being maintained:-

The critical deployment phase is split into six parts and could take up to two months after landing (with a margin of 20 sols). During this time, the teams will be constantly on hand, unlike during the scientific measurement phase, when the probe will be operating practically on its own. The operations schedule is given below:

Sols 0 - 5: initialization of the lander and preparation for instrument deployment.

Sols 6 - 18 : characterization by the cameras of the room available for positioning the instruments and selection of the most advantageous potential sites for deployment.

Sol 7 (science) : initiation of RISE data acquisition (geodesy).

Sols 19 - 31 : deployment of the SEIS seismometer (see details below). Start of measurements in engineering mode.

Sols 32 - 43 : deployment of the seismometer’s Wind and Thermal Shield (WTS). Start of SEIS scientific measurements (monitoring) from sol 40.

Sols 44 - 58 : deployment of the HP3 suite. Its mission accomplished, the robotic IDA returns to a stowed position on the lander.

Sols 59 - 69 : start of drilling operations with the HP3 mole.

Source links English French
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cargo Cult
post Dec 18 2018, 08:55 AM
Post #303

Member No.: 4152

Long time lurker here - have my contribution to the image processing with a fully room-scale walkabout VR version of InSight's landing site:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file.../?id=1593406277

Basically, I threw all the images into Agisoft PhotoScan and was surprised to get a pretty complete reconstruction of the landscape on one side of the lander. That, combined with some impostor geometry for the sky and terrain going out to the horizon meant a pretty immersive environment to wander around in. Add the lander model from NASA's 3D resources pages, and behold - Mars! (Elysium Planitia is so very flat, isn't it?)

I've posted notes for a more complicated version of my process in this older Curiosity scene here:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file...s/?id=928142301

(Full disclosure: I work at Valve on SteamVR, but I built this stuff because I'm a complete space nut. Hello!)

+Quote Post
climber
post Dec 18 2018, 08:58 PM
Post #304

Member No.: 682

Some news from « sister » ForeSight, they seams to know where to land SEIS: https://www.seis-insight.eu/fr/actualites/4...-mars-sur-terre

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Dec 19 2018, 03:14 AM
Post #305

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (climber @ Dec 18 2018, 12:58 PM) *
Some news from « sister » ForeSight, they seams to know where to land SEIS: https://www.seis-insight.eu/fr/actualites/4...-mars-sur-terre

ohmy.gif That is amazing. Merci, vieil ami.

Technology has come a long way since the MER test-bed.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Dec 19 2018, 03:24 AM
Post #306

Member No.: 196

its in French of course, but maybe this link will work for others too?
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=f...-mars-sur-terre
being automated there are some real gems in there laugh.gif to start: "...extremely accurate digital terrain model, reproducing each terrain accident."

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Dec 19 2018, 05:33 AM
Post #307

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

The grapple is designed to grab, so it's impossible to lose grip.
To open they use a wax actuator.

https://www.nextgov.com/emerging-tech/2018/...-lander/152070/

+Quote Post
climber
post Dec 19 2018, 09:09 AM
Post #308

QUOTE (atomoid @ Dec 19 2018, 04:24 AM) *
its in French of course,

Hum, on the upper rigth side you can clic to get the english version laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Dec 19 2018, 01:03 PM
Post #309

Member No.: 6853

QUOTE (climber @ Dec 19 2018, 05:09 PM) *
Hum, on the upper rigth side you can clic to get the english version laugh.gif

Selecting the English version takes me to the SEIS home page. (using my browser)

The link converts to English: link

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Dec 19 2018, 03:16 PM
Post #310

Member No.: 530

I also resorted to google translate (which seemed excellent) after being unable to find the article after clicking through the Union Jack.

+Quote Post
climber
post Dec 19 2018, 06:04 PM
Post #311

Here is a 360: https://www.360cities.net/image/mars-panora...ht-solar-day-10

--------------------

+Quote Post
hendric
post Dec 19 2018, 06:28 PM
Post #312

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

QUOTE (Cargo Cult @ Dec 18 2018, 02:55 AM) *
Long time lurker here - have my contribution to the image processing with a fully room-scale walkabout VR version of InSight's landing site:

blink.gif This is amazing. Thank you so much!

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
dshaffer
post Dec 19 2018, 09:19 PM
Post #313

Member No.: 29

QUOTE (Cargo Cult @ Dec 18 2018, 03:55 AM) *

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file.../?id=1593406277

Basically, I threw all the images into Agisoft PhotoScan and was surprised to get a pretty complete reconstruction of the landscape on one side of the lander. That, combined with some impostor geometry for the sky and terrain going out to the horizon meant a pretty immersive environment to wander around in. Add the lander model from NASA's 3D resources pages, and behold - Mars! (Elysium Planitia is so very flat, isn't it?)

I've posted notes for a more complicated version of my process in this older Curiosity scene here:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file...s/?id=928142301

(Full disclosure: I work at Valve on SteamVR, but I built this stuff because I'm a complete space nut. Hello!)

Superbe! Great job, would love to see more panoramas portrayed in VR.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 19 2018, 10:07 PM
Post #314

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

QUOTE (MarkL @ Dec 16 2018, 06:36 AM) *
Any idea how the raw images are being named?

The naming convention is described in this document beginning on page 22.

Edit: I decided to make myself an explainer since I figured I'd continually forget the details about mesh and mosaic IDs.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Dec 20 2018, 02:37 AM
Post #315

Member No.: 196

Huge thanks for the image decoder cheat-sheet, Emily it is so helpful!! ..now i'm curious what the 'EDR' as well as the 'M' at the end represent.

I never was able to get Cargo Cult's walkabout VR version of InSight's landing site working, just brings up a simple image, perhaps i need SteamVR equipment or something like that?

Climber's 360 pano is an amazingly well curated mosaic, i finally feel what its like at the landing site now, thanks!

Im assuming the Seis site may only release news in French, as the english version simply lacks a 'News' (Actualités) link.

Regarding that wax-actuated grapple, I hadn't considered or read anywhere if it is capable as a sort of off-label use to pick up rocks, which was discussed somewhat earlier in this thread, but so far unsubstantiated, as a means for inducing vibrations (drop rocks by grapple or soil by bucket) at intervals which in conjunction with the Seis could perhaps stereo image the local subsurface environs to detect large subsurface rocks to avoid in order to better position deployment of the HP3..

+Quote Post

85 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:02 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.