Rosetta flyby of Asteroid Steins, 5th September 2008
mchan
post Aug 14 2008, 01:44 AM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 476

Thanks for posting this description.

QUOTE (cndwrld @ Aug 13 2008, 01:57 AM) *
On Saturday, 06 Sept from 12:00 - 13:00 CET, the results of the flyby will be presented at ESOC and placed on the web pages.

Hope to see lots of images then. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cndwrld
post Aug 14 2008, 07:22 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 1743

Hope to see lots of images then.

Ahhh, don't we all...... But as in the past, I expect we'll see a handful of press conference pictures. Still, they should be very cool pictures.

--------------------
--
cndwrld@yahoo.com

+Quote Post
cndwrld
post Aug 18 2008, 07:49 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 1743

nth Asteroid Flyby

I was wondering about this question, and searches didn't give me an answer. As Rosetta gears up for the flyby of Steins, how often has an asteroid flyby been done before? Is this the second time, or the fifth? It would be great if one of you space historians could put this into focus.

--------------------
--
cndwrld@yahoo.com

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 18 2008, 09:17 AM
Post #49

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Ones I can think of

Galileo did Gaspera, then Ida & Dactly (that's only one flyby though - Dactyl was just gravy )

NEAR did Maltide then EROS, then orbited Eros

Stardust did Annefrank

DS1 did Braille ( although that didn't go well )

6 proper planned ones then I think.

Technically, NH did 132524_APL, and Cassini did Masursky - but they're more of a distant encounter rather than flybys.

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Aug 18 2008, 11:19 AM
Post #50

Guests

Don't forget Hayabusa... and the cometary fly-bys smile.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 18 2008, 11:58 AM
Post #51

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Hayabusa was a rendezvous and orbit, and well, a comet flyby doesn't count as an asteroid flyby, does it smile.gif

+Quote Post
cotopaxi
post Aug 18 2008, 04:41 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 4264

Some information and images from the navigation campaign:
http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMC9R6UWJF_index_0.html

+Quote Post
tasp
post Aug 18 2008, 11:42 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 162

I recall Carl Sagan finding difficulty in scheduling observing time from Mariner 9 (IIRC) of Phobos and Deimos since they were not mentioned in the 'official' mission plans.

He advanced the idea that studying Phobos and Deimos at Mars was the equivalent of a free mission to the asteroid belt, and this point seemed to do the trick.

Happily, all these years later, can we really categorize all these wee rocky beasties accurately ??

So many weird and wonderful objects to study, and they all are unique in their own ways.

+Quote Post
tallbear
post Aug 19 2008, 07:41 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (tasp @ Aug 18 2008, 03:42 PM) *
I recall Carl Sagan finding difficulty in scheduling observing time from Mariner 9 (IIRC) of Phobos and Deimos since they were not mentioned in the 'official' mission plans.

He advanced the idea that studying Phobos and Deimos at Mars was the equivalent of a free mission to the asteroid belt, and this point seemed to do the trick.

Happily, all these years later, can we really categorize all these wee rocky beasties accurately ??

So many weird and wonderful objects to study, and they all are unique in their own ways.

and Cassini is doing plenty of asteroid flybys as it gets closer looks at Saturn's fine collection of asteroids
.... T

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 19 2008, 08:20 AM
Post #55

Member No.: 523

Well, "closer looks" is a bit misleading, don't you think? I'd declare something a flyby if the s/c actually resolved the object. Photometry and light curves are stretching it a bit, IMHO.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Aug 19 2008, 08:24 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 655

This is a great way of characterising the small moon flybys in Cassini's schedule. I think Tallbear is referring to everything inside of Phoebe's orbit rather than the 30 or so rocks in eccentric/inclined orbits further out
Whilst the small inner moons may or may not be captured asteroids, the 24-for-one Cassini mission (Saturn plus 23 moons at reasonable ranges) is fantastically good value.
Cassini conducts a 'flyby' today of Pallene at 61,000km - a moon completely unknown before 2004. Were this a Rosetta flyby (or New Horizons) of an asteroid at that sort of range, the media and other interest would be much higher than it is.
Perhaps we've come to take Cassini's results for granted a little smile.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Aug 19 2008, 05:46 PM
Post #57

Guests

Stardust is still on route for another flyby with Tempel-1 ( a comet - I know ), which was impacted by Deep Impact in July 2005.
The latter spacecraft couldn't observe the impact crater due to the dust & debris flying away from the comet, so Stardust will take a look in the year 2011...

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Aug 19 2008, 06:34 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 321

FWIW, of all of the small inner satellites of Saturn inside Phoebe's orbit, the farthest out is only at 2.9% of Phoebe's semimajor axis. "Inside Phoebe's orbit" is quite an overstatement. I doubt if anything that deep in Saturn's satellite system can be presumed to have retained the characteristics of an asteroid from outside the system, but small bodies do tend to be similarly nonspherical.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 25 2008, 03:47 AM
Post #59

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 18 2008, 01:17 AM) *
Ones I can think of...

This is a bit late of a reply because of my vacation, but I'll point out my post here, which shows the 7 asteroid systems (8 bodies total) and 4 comets that have been imaged to date. And don't forget Vega 1 and Giotto also imaged Halley. So depending on how you add things up you can come up with anywhere from 11 to 14 "encounters."

A number of people have requested a single-image version of my scale montage -- I have that together and will post it this week as soon as I round up the image credits.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Aug 25 2008, 04:07 AM
Post #60

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Aug 24 2008, 11:47 PM) *
A number of people have requested a single-image version of my scale montage -- I have that together and will post it this week as soon as I round up the image credits

I thought it was awesome, too. I had no idea that Mathilde was the biggest of the bunch, the quality of the Galileo images is particularly deceiving... would have bet they were bigger. One with Phobos and Deimos would also be interesting. I just looked at the stats and was surprised to see the Phobos is also smaller than Mathilde. And I knew Itokawa was small, but indeed I had a poor conception of scale there versus Eros.

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:43 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.