Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Pioneers Ancestor - the Advanced Planetary Probe
gndonald
post Oct 24 2007, 03:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 442

I occasionally look through the NTRS and today I've found the ancestor of Pioneer 10 & 11, the Advanced Planetary probe. Yet again I get a look at what might have been, a concerted evolutionary program starting in 1972 that would have led to the dropping of a re-entry capsule into the Jovian atmosphere sometime in the 1980's.

That is, of course if the first probe survived the Jovian radiation belts and I'm not sure if the planned probe would have done so.

See:

1. Advanced planetary probe study. Volume 1 - Study approach Final technical report(5mb)

2. Advanced planetary probe study. Volume 2 - Spin-stabilized spacecraft for the basic mission Final technical report(35mb)

3. Advanced planetary probe study. Volume 3 - Alternate spacecraft and missions Final technical report(14.7mb)

4. Advanced planetary probe study. Volume 4 - Appendixes Final technical report(7mb)
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 9 2007, 06:46 PM
Post #2

Guests

Here's what looks like the Voyager ancestor, TOPS concept (Thermo-electric Outer Planets Spacecraft)
(NASA EP-82):

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 15 2007, 05:14 PM
Post #3

Guests

While we're at it, here's the next one, Galileo concept of 1980 (JPL image P-20772):

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jan 20 2008, 02:48 PM
Post #4

Guests

Voyager Mars concept, which was planned between 1966 to 1968 for launch in 1974...

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 14 2008, 07:39 PM
Post #5

Guests

Time for another "ancestor" spacecraft image, here's another Voyager ancestor, TOPS concept (Thermo-electric Outer Planets Spacecraft):

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Nov 16 2008, 05:17 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1004

Another ancestor: the Titan lander proposed as a "purple pigeon" mission by JPL in 1976.
The poor quality image is a scan of a photocopy from Aviation Week (9 august 1976). If anybody has a good quality image (publication-quality in particular) let me know

+Quote Post
gndonald
post May 21 2010, 03:16 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 442

I finally got around to reading the 3rd Volume of the Advanced Planetary probe report (Now linked to the OP). It is very interesting material, especially the discussion of mid 60's era entry probes.

It seems that they (probably correctly) viewed the problem as being almost beyond the state of the art (At that time) and wanted to use a 'skip' re-entry with the probe bouncing off the Jovian atmosphere several times before it's final destruction. Due to weight considerations instrumentation was going to be limited to accelerometers and doppler tracking.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:19 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.