IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Crater relaxation (and volatile transport?) on Ceres
Doug M.
post Sep 12 2013, 07:52 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6511

This recent paper suggests that the Ceres may be a "cue ball", because its surface will be warm enough that ice will flow -- flow very very slowly, but flow. (The technical term is "viscoplastic relaxation"). So craters and other large surface features will gradually relax and flatten out. We actually see this on Jupiter's moon Callisto; while Callisto has a lot of craters, most of them are very relaxed, and the moon's overall topography is remarkably smooth. Ceres is even warmer than Callisto, so we might reasonably expect the same effects to operate.

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2013/pdf/1798.pdf

A related but separate question: what about sublimation? At those temperatures, solid water and CO2 actually have a bit of vapor pressure, meaning they will very very slowly and gradually, over millions of years, sublimate into vapor. But what happens then? Well, there are two obvious possibilities: either the vapor will re-condense as frost in places that are always cold (shadowed crater bottoms, high latitudes) or, given Ceres' small size and low gravity, the vapor will simply escape into space. (Again, we seem to see this mechanism of "volatile transport" at work on the surfaces of Ganymede and Callisto. Not so much on the Saturnian moons, because they're so cold that the volatiles have pretty much zero vapor pressure.)

I e-mailed the author of the paper (who I know very slightly) with the question. He replied, yep, it's going to be one or the other but we don't yet know which. We'll have to wait until the spring of 2015.

This raises a question: what would we be able to tell? Dawn has the framing camera, VIR and GRaND. Those would give us suberb visual resolution on the surface and a pretty good idea of what the surface is made off. So, we'd see relaxation and we'd probably be able to infer volatile transport pretty clearly. On the other hand, Dawn lacks a laser altimeter, so our 3-D resolution of surface features might not be all that -- does anyone know how accurate it will be? And Dawn has no magnetometer, so we won't be able to measure whether Ceres has a magnetic field, which could certain affect how volatiles move around. (No, nobody expects Ceres to have a significant magnetic field. But Dawn won't be able to tell us for sure.) And Dawn has nothing like the NMS on LADEE or the super-sensitive Particles & Field package on MAVEN. So, no direct measurements of the Cerean exosphere.

So I guess the question is this: given the package that Dawn does have, what would we reasonably expect it to tell us about the evolution of Ceres' surface over time? And what questions would it likely leave unanswered? (And also, who thinks the cue ball theory is likely correct -- and if not, why?)

thanks in advance,

Doug M.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Doug M.   Crater relaxation (and volatile transport?) on Ceres   Sep 12 2013, 07:52 AM
- - TheAnt   I never had thought on how ice would behave on Cer...   Sep 12 2013, 03:10 PM
- - Holder of the Two Leashes   QUOTE We generally consider a water ice half-space...   Sep 12 2013, 05:50 PM
- - Phil Stooke   There was talk in the early stages of designing Vo...   Sep 12 2013, 07:54 PM
- - ngunn   Vesta is anything but 'relaxed' so I'm...   Sep 12 2013, 09:30 PM
- - Phil Stooke   Enceladus is much smaller and is quite smooth with...   Sep 12 2013, 11:28 PM
- - Holder of the Two Leashes   We know that Enceladus does have a surface of almo...   Sep 13 2013, 10:06 PM
|- - Doug M.   QUOTE (Holder of the Two Leashes @ Sep 14 201...   Sep 14 2013, 03:27 PM
|- - MichaelPoole   No disrespect, but this just shows how theories an...   Oct 28 2015, 09:31 PM
- - ngunn   A bit of historical reflection is refreshing somet...   Oct 28 2015, 09:57 PM
|- - MichaelPoole   If there was a "cue ball" moon in our so...   Oct 28 2015, 10:58 PM
|- - Herobrine   QUOTE (MichaelPoole @ Oct 28 2015, 05:58 ...   Oct 29 2015, 06:17 PM
- - ngunn   I don't understand why you think old surfaces ...   Oct 28 2015, 11:22 PM
|- - MichaelPoole   QUOTE (ngunn @ Oct 29 2015, 12:22 AM) I d...   Oct 28 2015, 11:43 PM
- - MichaelPoole   I think that's less "polished ball of ice...   Oct 30 2015, 12:46 AM
|- - Herobrine   QUOTE (MichaelPoole @ Oct 29 2015, 08:46 ...   Oct 30 2015, 08:00 PM
|- - MichaelPoole   Man, Methone is not a few km across. It is just 1....   Oct 30 2015, 10:21 PM
- - Explorer1   That image is 27 meters per pixel, according to th...   Oct 30 2015, 02:04 AM
|- - MichaelPoole   That may seem like a good resolution for other obj...   Oct 30 2015, 01:15 PM
- - ngunn   Meanwhile, back on Ceres . . .   Oct 30 2015, 10:40 PM
- - Explorer1   Yep; back on topic, this month's journal is ou...   Oct 31 2015, 01:47 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:41 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.