IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Transit of Venus, Not unmannedspaceflight but it's in space, so....
Guest_Oersted_*
post Jun 6 2012, 09:18 AM
Post #61

Guests

Btw, maybe UMSF needs to expand the Telescopic Observations sub-forum to also include observations of the inner and outer solar system? That way topics such as this don't fall between the cracks, so to speak.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bkellysky
post Jun 6 2012, 10:39 AM
Post #62

Group: Members
Member No.: 4103

Just north of NYC, we had two periods when the Sun shown through around the clouds.

Attached is photo at eyepiece of my 60mm (Kendrick solar filter) telescope at 28x (with the surrounding lawn, since I hadn't zoomed in yet). Handheld Canon XS 1/160sec, ISO 100.

I'll post more photos at my blog - two through the telescope, handheld up to the eyepiece; and others where I used the clouds as filters with my camera set at or near 1/4000 sec at F32, the fastest shutter speed and highest F ratio I could get on the Canon XS.

http://bkellysky.wordpress.com/
and other's photos of the event via our club site:
http://www.westchesterastronomers.org/

bob

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jun 6 2012, 04:24 PM
Post #63

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

I shot this directly using dual polarizing filters on a 300mm lens. The attachment is a 2x crop.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jun 6 2012, 07:17 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 5221

SDO montage is up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z9rM8ChTjY

+Quote Post
jekbradbury
post Jun 6 2012, 10:57 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 4172

JAXA's HINODE satellite (in sun-synchronous earth orbit) also took some impressive close-up images.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jun 7 2012, 09:01 AM
Post #66

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Jun 6 2012, 08:17 PM) *
SDO montage is up:

Hmm. The limb of the Sun appears to be visible 'through' Venus in some of those sequences. Is there some sort of memory effect in the detectors that would account for this?

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Jun 7 2012, 11:03 AM
Post #67

Member No.: 1102

I see the effect particularly for the image where most of Venus has passed in front of the sun. It is a simple optical illusion and if you cover the bright lim of the sun with your fingers, it goes away.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jun 7 2012, 12:04 PM
Post #68

Check for example 33 seconds in (where the limb of the sun is actually dark). I've masked off the whole image except for Venus and I'm still seeing the effect.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jun 7 2012, 04:22 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 5221

Yeah, it really looks like detail on Venus itself, though of course that's impossible, even if it wasn't overcast there.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Jun 7 2012, 05:19 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 321

The performance of human vision is a thing still not perfectly understood, and transits of Venus have brought up a lot of questions about where perception is accurate and where optical illusions occur. Digital imagery is slaying a lot of dragons on this count.

I was interested to have the chance to see Venus appear as large as ever it will, and see if I could resolve it as a disk with the unaided eye. I'd have to say no. Viewing it with a filter and no magnification, I could easily see where it was, but it appeared as pointlike (black against green) as does a star in the night sky (white against black).

In the night sky, I've tried to see if the angle of the crescent is apparent to me. Squinting and seeing if the twinkle has any persistent orientation. Nothing conclusive to report there, either. I have considerably better than average acuity, I should add. And I have seen Uranus without assistance on one occasion, although detecting dimness and acuity are not at all the same thing.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jun 7 2012, 06:07 PM
Post #71

It's not a big deal and I'm sure there's a mundane explanation, either from image acquisition or processing, but it's definitely not an optical illusion. Optical illusion would operate to make the silhouette look lighter against dark background and darker against light. This is the other way round: lighter against light and darker against dark, making it look spookily transparent.

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jun 7 2012, 07:13 PM
Post #72

Member No.: 4270

Could it have something to do with the CCD? Maybe it's been staring at the sun so long that an image of it has sort of been burned in? (I'm thinking of CRT monitors and how if you leave them on for too long, you get an image burned in, but I realise that's probably totally inapplicable to this).

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Jun 7 2012, 11:09 PM
Post #73

Guests

QUOTE (ngunn @ Jun 7 2012, 11:01 AM) *
Hmm. The limb of the Sun appears to be visible 'through' Venus in some of those sequences. Is there some sort of memory effect in the detectors that would account for this?

I'd say that it is more probably an effect from the video compression. However, it is also visible in the "raw" video (example)...: http://venustransit.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/kio...n/phase/ingress

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Jun 8 2012, 05:41 AM
Post #74

Member No.: 557

Got to watch the transit under perfect skies at Barstow, California. Mostly through binoculars, but also unmagnified. Pictures are just no substitute for a live view. I was surprised to see how quickly it became apparent after first contact.

As another member mentioned, one of my own strongest impressions was how impossible it would be to make out a Venus crescent naked eye. Even with 20/15 vision in my right eye, it was a pinprick unmagnified.

+Quote Post
bill davis
post Jun 8 2012, 06:38 AM
Post #75

Member No.: 4845

Here is a cross view stereo pair of the Venus transit with some air traffic.
Attached Image

Bigger version on my Flickr stream.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/billdavis6959/

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:50 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.