Reply to this topicStart new topic
1,000,000 Topic Views!
djellison
post Sep 14 2005, 03:28 PM
Post #1

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Ok - I know - a totally pointless stat, but I've noticed that we've passed 1,000,000 topic views

We're actually on 1,186,771 - but I hadnt looked for ages smile.gif

1382 topics, 20259 posts, and we're now averaging almost exactly 100 posts per day, and 4 away from our 500'th member smile.gif

We have a LOT of lurkers smile.gif

For the technical end - August saw a use of 30.64 Gig (1/4 of the limit) - and trending current growth we're safe for some time to come - certainly the next 12 months are looking rosie, and donations have helped ensure we can upgrade if need be when the time comes.

What on earth happened on August 24th by the way - we shifted double the usual data then! Was it the Husband hill pans?

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Sep 14 2005, 03:47 PM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 14 2005, 03:28 PM)
Ok - I know - a totally pointless stat, but I've noticed that we've passed 1,000,000 topic views

But how many of those are Ustrax reloading the Ultreya thread?

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 14 2005, 03:52 PM
Post #3

Founder

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Sep 14 2005, 03:47 PM)
But how many of those are Ustrax reloading the Ultreya thread?

I'll check the stats....

+Quote Post
ustrax
Post #4

Special Cookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 228

We're actually on 1,186,771 - but I hadnt looked for ages smile.gif

1382 topics, 20259 posts, and we're now averaging almost exactly 100 posts per day, and 4 away from our 500'th member smile.gif

For the technical end - August saw a use of 30.64 Gig (1/4 of the limit) - and trending current growth we're safe for some time to come - certainly the next 12 months are looking rosie, and donations have helped ensure we can upgrade if need be when the time comes.

What on earth happened on August 24th by the way - we shifted double the usual data then!  Was it the Husband hill pans?

Doug

Don't you know Doug?...Ultreya as Elk said (and the better is still to come...), your article on SpaceDaily, the 'Spirit arrived' thread, the panoramas, Homeplate...
That was a day...Oh what a day...
I'll quote myself:

' blink.gif hihihihihihohohohihihi!!! blink.gif

I'm loosing my mind with all the things happening in such a short time!'

Oh...Just a small recuerdo...
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/ustrax3/cong.jpg

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
djellison
Post #5

Founder

927,876 of them

sad.gif

wink.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Sep 14 2005, 04:09 PM
Post #6

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 14 2005, 03:52 PM)
927,876 of them

sad.gif

wink.gif

Doug

huh.gif
I demand some light on the aby...er...issue! blink.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
Nix
post Sep 14 2005, 05:26 PM
Post #7

Chief Assistant

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 14 2005, 05:28 PM)
What on earth happened on August 24th by the way - we shifted double the usual data then!  Was it the Husband hill pans?

Oh blink.gif August was a busy month, I noticed too biggrin.gif

Unique visitors 1468
Number of visits 2227
Pages 11609
Hits 65308
Bandwidth 14.99 GB

Congrats on that million views!!

Nico

--------------------
photographer, space imagery enthusiast, proud father and partner, and geek.

http://500px.com/sacred-photons &

+Quote Post
DFinfrock
post Dec 7 2005, 03:07 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 503

Doug

Doug,

When it does come time for an upgrade, be sure to put out a forum-wide request for more donations. I would be happy to contribute. And if you have a PayPal account, donations would be even easier!

David

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Dec 7 2005, 03:14 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 197

I'm curious Doug if there was a lurker spike during Hayabusa's landing attempts, or that 3-week period. I noticed a bunch of new members with Japanese sounding names on those threads.

If so, I would guess they were either Japanese bloggers with an interest in space, or advertising and marketing executives from the Lipovitan Company.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Dec 7 2005, 03:47 AM
Post #10

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (DFinfrock @ Dec 7 2005, 02:07 PM)
And if you have a PayPal account, donations would be even easier!

It's not obvious, but there is a 'front page' to this site - Here

See 'Recommeded Sites' at the bottom-left. smile.gif wink.gif

I must really get around to chucking Doug some cash myself sometime, this place is definately worth it...

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Dec 7 2005, 07:46 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 116

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 6 2005, 09:47 PM)
...James

sad.gif Hehe. Yeah, it's called the Front Page, but it really is one of the 'back alley's of the forum. I've long wondered why it held that status, but it seems intentional. If you go to http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com, which one would expect to be the "front page," you find all of the main forum topics, resplendent with abundant replies and new topics of interest to our diverse membership.

On the Front Page, one will find some very interesting information, though not as much traffic. You need to make the extra effort to go around to the back door to find this place. It seems it really should have a different name. Hey, this says it all. A lovely product of this forum (Steve Squyres Q'n'a - The Transcript) was featured here, but old comment #8 was the last reply in that summary thread. It deserved more praise than that, didn't it?

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Dec 6 2005, 09:14 PM)
...  I noticed a bunch of new members with Japanese sounding names on those threads.

This is kind of a different thought, but I always found it curious that we had so many excellent space enthusiasts from Japan in the Hayabusa threads, but none or few of them jumped off to explore other space topics here. A while ago, I searched for those members, and their posts on this forum, and noticed that they posted messages pretty much exclusively to the Hayabusa threads. unsure.gif

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 7 2005, 10:44 AM
Post #12

Founder

Yeah - the 'front' page is an odd thing - I figure that it's quite usefull, but most people just want to get to the good stuff and would bookmark the forums anyway. I THINK i'd have to 'move' the whole of the forums to umsf.com/forum and then the front page would work properly - but if I was going to do that, I'd want to have something better as the front page.

I dont want to shamelessly pimp the whole paypal thing all the time anyway - it would get annoying. Including hosting and forum software, donations have matched the running costs almost exactly so far.

Doug

+Quote Post
DFinfrock
post Dec 9 2005, 01:29 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 503

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 7 2005, 03:47 AM)

See 'Recommeded Sites' at the bottom-left.  smile.gif wink.gif

James

Thanks James, for the heads-up. This is the first I had heard of the "Front Page".

I made my donation yesterday. Now for the next question. Is UMSF considered a non-profit organization? In other words, can I deduct my donation from my US income taxes? unsure.gif

I don't expect Doug knows much about the US tax code, but I figure some of the many US advanced members would know.

+Quote Post
Phillip
post Dec 9 2005, 04:24 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 249

I am no tax expert, but my recollection is that in order for a contribution to be tax deductible for U.S. income tax purposes, the receiving organization must be dominantly in the United States and it must have qualifed under Section 501©(3) of the US Tax Code as a corporation organized exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, testing for public safety, literary, or educational purposes.

I doubt either test can be met at this point. But if Doug ever gets a U.S. server, I'd be happy to help in submitting an application for 501©(3) status for UMSF. smile.gif

Phillip

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 9 2005, 09:49 AM
Post #15

Founder

The place is hosted in the US ( www.imhosted.com ) - but I have no idea what that means for tax. I'm a Brit - the only sign I see is that two big chunks of salary never make it to my bank account, and go to Mr N.I.Contribution and Mr I.Tax smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:16 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.