18 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MGS in Trouble, Formerly: MGS in safe mode
tuvas
post Nov 14 2006, 04:12 PM
Post #76

Group: Members
Member No.: 1062

Let me just pipe in and say from what I've been able to understand, the space.com article is the far more likely approach to what will happen. http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/061114_mgs_mro.html . It seems to cover the main concerns better than the other articles posted by other news sources.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Nov 14 2006, 04:14 PM
Post #77

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 14 2006, 07:34 AM) *
Anyone who followed the MPL post-landing story will have been through this...

....that was excruciating. I never want to go through that again.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Marz
post Nov 14 2006, 04:33 PM
Post #78

Member No.: 482

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Nov 14 2006, 10:14 AM) *
....that was excruciating. I never want to go through that again.

Yeah, like with Beagle... sad.gif

It's so easy to take orbiters for granted, but it really shows what a knife edge dance it is to keep power and communications and camera orientation all working without a hitch.

On an quasi-unrelated note, I wonder how much it would cost to build some redundancy into the DSN. Every blue moon, there seems to be some mission-impacting loss of communication - either a mouse has chewed through a cable, or a space probe goes on the fritz during the comm window for another mission, etc... it almost seems like an achillies heel that one day could really cause a major loss of data. Maybe it's time to build some extra nodes, like in Iceland and/or south Argentina or something?

+Quote Post
Stu
post Nov 14 2006, 04:37 PM
Post #79

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Marz @ Nov 14 2006, 04:33 PM) *
Yeah, like with Beagle... sad.gif

Oh, that was a horrible, dragging, endless, check-Ceefax-and-websites-every-five-minutes Christmas Day.... ((shudders at the memory))...

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 14 2006, 04:52 PM
Post #80

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Marz @ Nov 14 2006, 04:33 PM) *
Maybe it's time to build some extra nodes, like in Iceland and/or south Argentina or something?

Or maybe it's just time the DSN got the investment it deserves to install multiple 70m assets at each station, or the arrays of mass produced 12m dishes suggested at IAC.
http://www.iac-paper.org/abstractcd/2006/a...-06-B3.1.03.pdf

Doug

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 14 2006, 05:05 PM
Post #81

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

See also my notes from the Bob Preston talk at last May's OPAG meeting:
http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00000570/

Upgrading infrastructure isn't a sexy project, but deep space communications really do represent a bottleneck, and the lack of upgrades to the DSN is harming our ability to make the most of our deep space assets. It's time for those arrays of 12-meter antennas to be built -- that would give the DSN so much more flexibility.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 14 2006, 05:19 PM
Post #82

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

"Spitzer, which trails Earth in its orbit, now needs the 70-meter dishes."

I did NOT know that - wow....that's a serious stretch on resources - I'd forgotten about that write up - it reads pretty much the same as the one I saw at IAC really.

Doug

+Quote Post
odave
post Nov 14 2006, 05:19 PM
Post #83

Member No.: 209

While I'm very concerned about MGS, I'm not feeling the anxiety or anguish like I did with MPL and Beagle. To use a human analogy, while then death of anyone is tragic, the death of a small child seems especially so considering the loss of all that potential - a whole life never realized. If MGS has passed, I'll be sad and lift my glass to her accomplishments. I've got my fingers crossed, though!

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Nov 14 2006, 05:53 PM
Post #84

Guests

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/061114_mgs_mro.html

There’s a feeling that maybe the well-used MGS felt it was time to sign off.

On the 10th anniversary of MGS in space—November 7—that’s the same day that MRO cranked up its primary science tasks.

“It really seems like there’s some fate involved in this,” Sidney said. “MGS knew it was time to retire.”

awwwwwww smile.gif

+Quote Post
MarkL
post Nov 14 2006, 07:25 PM
Post #85

Member No.: 981

It's like losing an old friend. I remember watching the aerobraking page way back when and following MGS' progress. It's the mission that really "cracked open" Mars for us to explore in my view. And many of us were able to actually tell the thing what to take photos of which was phenomenal. Lets hope it can be recovered as MOC is still a terrific instrument. It does, though seem like handing off the baton, given the timing.

+Quote Post
tuvas
post Nov 14 2006, 09:13 PM
Post #86

Member No.: 1062

I should also add in that if this process can be accomplished, it will be extremely difficult, and thus there isn't a fixed day assigned to make the attempt to photograph MGS, only that the attempt should be made reasonably soon, but not to disturb any critical science/ Phoenix endevours.

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Nov 14 2006, 09:49 PM
Post #87

Member No.: 114

I was hoping they would use the last part of this funded mission to explore PHOBOS.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Nov 14 2006, 10:24 PM
Post #88

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (tuvas @ Nov 14 2006, 01:13 PM) *
I should also add in that if this process can be accomplished, it will be extremely difficult...

What's so difficult about it? Lookheed-Martin designs the slew and they tell you when to start imaging. At least, that's how the Odyssey image by MGS was done. Doesn't sound too hard to me.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Nov 14 2006, 10:44 PM
Post #89

Member No.: 523

One thing Emily pointed out in her blog is that the s/c has been out of contact for 9 days. Its orbit is not exactly nailed down anymore. HiRISE attempts to image the predicted locations might be futile, resulting in huge amounts of data of empty space. I'm actually pretty skeptical they'll be able to pull it off easily.

--------------------

+Quote Post
climber
post Nov 14 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #90

Member No.: 682

If I understood it right they're doing a kinda long exposure and hope that MGS will show somewhere on the picture and then they can deduce where it is and shoot in the rigth direction a few days later. Did I get it right?

--------------------

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:42 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.