25 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL landing site: Gale Crater
PDP8E
post May 20 2012, 01:08 AM
Post #136

Group: Members
Member No.: 1241

... there are 10 named hills in Gusev...add to the list the Apollo 1 Hills: Grissom, White, Chafee

(Doug, are we dancing up to the no politics rule with this thread?)

--------------------
CLA CLL
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post May 20 2012, 02:03 AM
Post #137

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (PDP8E @ May 19 2012, 06:08 PM) *
... there are 10 named hills in Gusev...add to the list the Apollo 1 Hills: Grissom, White, Chafee

Of course the IAU recognizes crater names on the Moon for the Apollo 1 astronauts. (And it's Chaffee, BTW.)

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post May 20 2012, 04:40 AM
Post #138

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

For what it's worth, I think Aeolis Mons makes sense given the proximity to Aeolis Mensae and the sheer size of the mound. As was mentioned, it's more consistent with the naming conventions. Also, Robert Sharp is as big as Gale, and that ain't bad? But then, I've always wanted that crater to have a name.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post May 20 2012, 07:00 AM
Post #139

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ May 19 2012, 07:39 PM) *
I agree that this was a confusing and seemingly ill-considered move. It would be interesting to get a statement from Brad Smith, the chair of the IAU Mars Task Group, about why they chose to do this now.

They had a lot of vowels in their scrabble slate. Aeolis. All it's missing is 'u.'

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 20 2012, 07:23 AM
Post #140

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Thanks for the reference image, Mike.

Gotta admit, Prof. Sharp's crater is a beauty: not only large, but geologically fascinating. It's a worthy official tribute to him for sure, but I really think that the IAU should have left the Gale peak officially nameless at this (of all possible!) times.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 20 2012, 09:51 AM
Post #141

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

(sigh)

The timing of this was either simply unfortunate, or deliberate. If it was the former, then it kind of suggests that the IAU doesn't appreciate the importance of the MSL mission, and was unaware of the work already done planning the landing and the mission. If it's the latter, well, that's someone deliberately trying to cause trouble and show those pesky scientists who really is in charge of christening things Out There, because they could have done this long ago.

Either way, it's yet another thing that makes me really wish that The Powers That Be - in many aspects of life - would just leave well alone... rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 20 2012, 01:33 PM
Post #142

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I don't think this type of speculation helps UMSF's reputation.

But if you want an alternative hypothesis I would propose that the official naming process was already under way and someone on the mission didn't bother to check before issuing a premature press release with an informal name. If anybody should comment it's the MSL team, not Brad Smith.

Now let's leave it until more information becomes available.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 20 2012, 04:16 PM
Post #143

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Hmm, maybe that's a good idea; I was getting a bit X-Files there... laugh.gif

Shame tho... there are so many good rhymes for "Sharp"... cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
BrianL
post May 20 2012, 05:09 PM
Post #144

Member No.: 721

QUOTE (Stu @ May 20 2012, 11:16 AM) *
Shame tho... there are so many good rhymes for "Sharp"... cool.gif

True, but I guess it's too late to carp about it now. smile.gif

+Quote Post
JRehling
post May 23 2012, 07:43 PM
Post #145

Member No.: 321

On a linguistic note, Aeolis strikingly resembles the scientific term aoelian, of or made by wind, which is highly relevant to the formation hypotheses for the mound -- but this near-homonym is coincidental. Aeolis is a Greek location name from Asia Minor. That is to say, we can anticipate some linguistic gems which use both words in the same sentence. Maybe even an adjectival form aeolisian to sweeten the pot.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 12 2012, 06:41 PM
Post #146

The recent telecon on the resized landing ellipse cleared up one point: The mission is still using their informal name "Mount Sharp" for the big mound. And that's fine - the mountain has a formal name which will be used in formal settings, and an informal mission-specific name.

I was actually hoping for a new map with one or two new placenames, but I am something of a naming nut anyway.

I am a bit sorry that the big alluvial fan in the original ellipse will probably be missed now. Still a chance they could get something on the southern edge of the fan, though.

Phil

--------------------

Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 17 2012, 02:12 PM
Post #147

This is a full resolution - but quite compressed - CTX mosaic of the ellipse area.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
akuo
post Jul 17 2012, 07:22 PM
Post #148

Member No.: 63

Has there been any study of the traversability of those dunes in the southeast?

--------------------
Antti Kuosmanen

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 17 2012, 07:27 PM
Post #149

Yes, lots, including recent operations with a test rover in the desert. There are many paths through or around the dunes. Matt Golombek has published a detailed analysis of traversability.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
brellis
post Jul 17 2012, 07:39 PM
Post #150

Member No.: 1700

Dang I'm already eating so many pistachios in anticipation of nervous time at the PlanetFest thingy, my nickname for MSL is Pistachiosity!

+Quote Post

25 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:06 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.