40 Pages V  « < 37 38 39 40 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Juno development, launch, and cruise, Including Earth flyby imaging Oct 9 2013
Gerald
post Jun 18 2016, 07:10 PM
Post #571

Group: Members
Member No.: 6780

This is a 2-fold reduced, cropped, and jpg-compressed version of an about 2-fold supersampled reprojected efb12:
Attached Image

I needed to adjust the parameters a bit, e.g. tilt Earth's rotation axis. The image looks good now, up to about 2 pixels in some parts of the overlap region. And it's consistent with the SPICE trajectory.
Attached File  efb_anim_60px000002.LBL ( 2.26K ) Number of downloads: 237

The parameter adjustments are close to what I can do manually. For further improvements I'll need to write an according software.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 18 2016, 07:19 PM
Post #572

The according efb11:
Attached Image

Attached File  efb_anim_60px000000.LBL ( 2.26K ) Number of downloads: 184

I'll see, whether I can repair the PDS versions of EFBs 5 to 10. For this, I'll need to write a small piece of software to be able to merge the jpg-compressed EFBs with the blocky PDS versions to obtain the best results.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jun 18 2016, 08:05 PM
Post #573

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Gerald @ Jun 18 2016, 11:19 AM) *
I'll see, whether I can repair the PDS versions of EFBs 5 to 10.

Don't waste your time with this. The fix has been known for some time and all I need to do is rerun the processing for these products; I'll try to get that done next week. I'd have done it before but honestly I think you are the only person in the world who has ever looked at these files.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 18 2016, 09:17 PM
Post #574

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Gerald's going to be the only member of the public prepared for the perijove 1 images whenever they finally get released smile.gif

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 18 2016, 09:48 PM
Post #575

smile.gif You're funny! Glenn Orton may forgive me, when I cite his words "This terrifies me."
But not really. I'll work on this, independent of the number of fellows who will join these efforts. I'm sure, that as soon as the first stunning images of Jupiter are published, others will try to beat me, or at least provide their own versions, or derived products. By publishing some of the camera parameters and processing methods, it won't be quite as difficult for others to follow.
I know at least, that some members of the Jupiter community are hoping for processed Jupiter images, as immediate after downlink as possible. So I try to prepare my part as far as I can.

@M.Caplinger: Thanks for reprocessing the PDS files!
So I'll prepare for a continuous efb animation in the meanwhile.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jun 19 2016, 12:07 AM
Post #576

QUOTE (Gerald @ Jun 18 2016, 01:48 PM) *
I know at least, that some members of the Jupiter community are hoping for processed Jupiter images, as immediate after downlink as possible.

I have every expectation that our standard-processed map-projected products will be available as soon as we have reconstructed spacecraft attitude information, 2-3 days after each perijove. Assuming of course that the perijove pass is nominal and the data are downlinked without gaps, etc.
As with EFB, it may be that amateur-processed products that are more manual and labor-intensive will be better than our automatically-generated ones.

BTW, when the missionjuno website says they are posting the "raw data" I am not at this point 100% certain what they mean. That said, I'm sure that the raw data will be available somewhere.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Jun 19 2016, 01:48 AM
Post #577

Member No.: 114

Emily I was a little confused about approach data, is that data also being kept on Juno until the august playback?

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jun 19 2016, 03:41 AM
Post #578

QUOTE (Decepticon @ Jun 18 2016, 05:48 PM) *
Emily I was a little confused about approach data, is that data also being kept on Juno until the august playback?

This is the wrong thread for this discussion.

From Emily's writeup http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakda...om-junocam.html :
The Juno team plans to wait for the complete downlink of all of the Approach Movie frames before releasing the images, so don't bother to start looking for [them] until the day of orbit insertion.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jun 19 2016, 03:42 AM
Post #579

Member No.: 5221

At the press conference a few days back someone asked the question and the reply was that the approach imagery (being taken right now) will come out on JOI, July 4th. They'll probably save it for some time during the broadcast, like last year with the Pluto flyby. That's what I would do for maximum effect, at any rate. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 20 2016, 01:35 PM
Post #580

I've fixed the issue which disabled the option to consider Earth's rotation between consecutive swathes. Here a short 250-fold time-lapsed animation, which I've used as one of the test cases:
Attached File  junocam_efb11_efb12_anim_timeLapse_250x_6px_20160620.avi ( 876.35K ) Number of downloads: 232

Parameters:
Attached File  efb_anim_6px000000.LBL ( 2.26K ) Number of downloads: 189

Attached File  efb_anim_6px000009.LBL ( 2.26K ) Number of downloads: 163

The assumed tilt of Earth's axis isn't yet fully consistent with reality. So I get a small registering mismatch between efb11 and efb12.
I'll try to refine this by applying a transformation derived from SPICE data, in order to be able to provide a hires false color image, and a "seamless" animation of the efb sequence.

Provided I'll get access to the reprocessed EFBs in time, and everything works as I'm expecting, is there any interest to include such an animation over several EFBs into the press briefing(s) on the 30th? If so, which movie format (mpeg4 or avi), resolution, time-lapse rate, and real-world time interval would be preferred?

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jun 20 2016, 03:37 PM
Post #581

QUOTE (Gerald @ Jun 20 2016, 05:35 AM) *
Provided I'll get access to the reprocessed EFBs in time, and everything works as I'm expecting, is there any interest to include such an animation over several EFBs into the press briefing(s) on the 30th? If so, which movie format (mpeg4 or avi), resolution, time-lapse rate, and real-world time interval would be preferred?

I have no idea, I'm not even sure at this point who's participating in the outreach press briefing or what it will cover. I'd think that EFB images might have a certain potential for media confusion ("if we're arriving at Jupiter what are these images of the Earth?")

That said, I've been told that the preferred video product in general is a 1280x720 pixel 59.94 fps Quicktime ProRes HQ codec Quicktime movie.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 20 2016, 03:51 PM
Post #582

Thanks! I'll try to get this format rendered.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jun 20 2016, 07:54 PM
Post #583

QUOTE (Gerald @ Jun 18 2016, 01:48 PM) *
@M.Caplinger: Thanks for reprocessing the PDS files!

I have updated six of the EFB images at http://www.msss.com/junocam_efb/pds/ that were decompressed incorrectly. These are 00C096, 00C098, 00C100, 00M095, 00M099, and 00M103. The rest of the EFB dataset should have been correct.

These are not official products, have undergone no QC or review, I'm not promising the label information is even as accurate as it was the last time, etc. But the image data itself should be better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 21 2016, 04:22 PM
Post #584

The new IMG files look good, some of them considerably better than before the correction. Here a resulting synopsis of the JunoCam dayside EFB images, 8-fold reduced with respect to the applied rendition:
Attached Image

There appear to be some artifacts, e.g. in EFB13, probably caused by my processing.

I think, that I can support the preferred video format.
Rendering 864 frames took about 10 hours on one CPU core, and I got some unintended "special effects". The resulting mov file is about 370 MB. But those data are a very preliminary order of magnitude estimate, since there are several issues I need to fix.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Jun 21 2016, 06:36 PM
Post #585

Member No.: 184

Nice to see. I wonder if there is a reason for the greenish cast with these images, and whether we can use Earth to help calibrate the color of Jupiter? Some related discussion is here:

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/guest-blogs...ike-images.html

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post

40 Pages V  « < 37 38 39 40 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:41 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.