2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MAVEN Orbital Science, Post Siding Spring
atomoid
post Feb 19 2015, 09:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 196

such a quiet mission, finally an update was released today: NASA’s MAVEN Spacecraft Completes First Deep Dip Campaign

and another item i didnt notice previously: NASA’s MAVEN Mission Identifies Links in Chain Leading to Atmospheric Loss

Edit: doh!! wrong thread..

ADMIN: Moved to start a new topic of Orbital Science from the start of the deep dip campaign.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ron Hobbs
post Mar 18 2015, 04:48 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 745

MAVEN has observed aurora and the mysterious dust cloud, and apparently the LPW has seen it since the beginning of operations.

http://www.nasa.gov/press/2015/march/nasa-...mars/index.html

MAVEN is on the case.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Mar 18 2015, 05:30 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 15

Well... if dust is observably being sputtered off of Mars, as these observations suggest, that sort of explains where the red dust covering parts of Phobos and Deimos came from. I had always thought that dust plumes from impacts, even over billions of years, didn't seem like they would provide enough material to cause the pigmentation on the moons we see today. If these solar-wind-generated sputtered air-and-dust plumes have been happening for millennia, and if some fraction of the plumes are accelerated by the solar wind interactions out to the distance of the moons, we then have a process for the material transfer that makes more sense, and explains what we see on the moons.

Also, this shows rather strongly how solar wind interactions with the upper atmosphere could well have sputtered off a relatively thick Martian atmosphere over billions of years, doesn't it? Consider that a lot more gas molecules would get accelerated to escape velocity by such interactions than dust particles, and that we can see how many dust particles have been boosted (enough to account for the red coloration of the moons), and you get a good gut-level appreciation of the long-term effectiveness of the solar wind's sputtering capabilities.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Mar 18 2015, 05:46 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5221

Is this the same cloud detected from Earth based observations, announced last month?

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Mar 19 2015, 08:40 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1004

I don't think so. those were transient water and CO2 clouds, this is a (permanent? ) dust cloud

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 31 2015, 08:02 PM
Post #6

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

MAVEN data through May 15, 2015 are now available to the public. I'm not sure what's there; I'm curious what there is to play with from IUVS, which produced pictures like these.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Nov 4 2015, 08:58 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 4338

Press conference Thursday being reported by the Space media.

http://www.space.com/31000-mars-atmosphere...ts-preview.html

+Quote Post
B Bernatchez
post Nov 5 2015, 07:35 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 5589

New results at http://lasp.colorado.edu/home/maven/2015/1...ian-atmosphere/.

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Nov 5 2015, 08:54 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 4338

I wonder if it is possible that the high-altitude dust is a temporary phenomenon resulting from the comet Siding Spring? The Science paper seems silent on this.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Nov 6 2015, 07:25 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 321

This morning, I was reading about how ice cores have been used to track the varying abundance of components of Earth's atmosphere, and was wondering about the viability of a mission to do this on Mars. There's plenty of ice in the high latitudes, and it must be chronologically sorted, although the absolute scale might be hard to work out, and highly nonlinear. But it seems like a potentially interesting mission. Tracking the isotopes in H2O and CO2 would be a couple of the more interesting investigations.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 6 2015, 08:44 PM
Post #11

Administrator

Member No.: 454

QUOTE (marsophile @ Nov 5 2015, 12:54 PM) *
I wonder if it is possible that the high-altitude dust is a temporary phenomenon resulting from the comet Siding Spring? The Science paper seems silent on this.

There was a question related to this at the press briefing, and the answer was that comets make only a minor contribution to the high-altitude dust; that interplanetary dust particles are the major contributor.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
alan
post Oct 17 2016, 08:25 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 110

MAVEN Gives Unprecedented Ultraviolet View of Mars

Attached Image

http://lasp.colorado.edu/home/maven/2016/1...t-view-of-mars/

Short movie

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 9 2016, 12:06 AM
Post #13

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Here is an image of Phobos from Maven. The source is this press release from many months ago - I just noticed it had not been noted here.

http://mars.nasa.gov/news/whatsnew/index.c...amp;NewsID=1893

I just added some different processing of my own. I have inverted it from the published format because I think it is the northern hemisphere which is illuminated (Phobos having seasons just like those of Mars). The background is UV photons scattered by the gas molecules escaping from Mars.

Phil

Attached Image

EDIT: I have found that this image should be flipped left-right. The northern hemisphere is illuminated, and this view is from quite far south with the upper limb near the equator at about 90 degrees east.

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 9 2016, 05:47 AM
Post #14

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Great catch!

I never get tired of images of Phobos or Deimos with Mars in the background in some way. smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Mar 4 2017, 12:10 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 5221

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=6764

Yikes, this would've been a tad more embarrassing than Mars Climate Orbiter! Close flyby to come on the 6th...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:54 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.