7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Grand Finale part 1, F ring orbits
Daniele_bianchin...
post Mar 13 2017, 12:23 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 7482

Cassini mission was best for me. See so 'many different bodies.
I did not think we would see Pan so 'close. I would have preferred mission like this around Jupiter (Juno never liked). Spectacular cliffs pan. Strange her album. A shape similar to get if launches a ball of clay at high rotation; the ball-clay equator is crushed (perhaps by gravity 'or by the concentration of water). Pan could be in fast-rotation during its formation, before cooling?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 13 2017, 03:09 PM
Post #62

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

No, the equatorial ring must be some kind of accretion from the surrounding rings. No idea how that works yet, but Atlas also has an equatorial ridge, and soon we will get closer images of that to help us.

Galileo was supposed to be a Cassini-like mission for Jupiter, but its antenna problem resulted in less than 1% of the data return we could have expected. To be fair, it's a miracle we got anything from it at Jupiter.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Mar 13 2017, 05:13 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 1004

there was a paper in Science a few years ago explaining how Atlas and Pan got their flying saucer shape
http://ciclops.org/media/sp/2008/5168_11571_0.pdf

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Mar 13 2017, 07:55 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 655

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 13 2017, 03:09 PM) *
Atlas also has an equatorial ridge, and soon we will get closer images of that to help us.

Fingers crossed on this. The encounter with Atlas back in December 2015 at ~26,000km came close to missing Atlas due to uncertainties in its orbital perameters. This encounter I'm guessing will be a deal closer, with those uncertainties being magnified in the camera boresights.

It will be a triumph if the team catch Atlas up-close.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Mar 13 2017, 08:34 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 5221

Can't distant observations right now pin the location down better? Like optical navigation for any approach to a small body...

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 13 2017, 09:32 PM
Post #66

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Yes, and they do it all the time, but there are many effects which modify the little satellite orbits so they remain difficult to predict precisely.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Mar 14 2017, 09:14 PM
Post #67

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Mar 13 2017, 08:34 PM) *
Can't distant observations right now pin the location down better? Like optical navigation for any approach to a small body...

Cassini doesn't operate like this (i.e. onboard autonomous navigation) during a flyby. The observation sequences are written weeks (months?) in advance based on opnav images previously obtained, plus an exquisite knowledge of the spacecraft's trajectory.
The fly-in-the-ointment with the smaller ring moons is a not-quite-perfect knowledge of their masses, the effects of drag by nearby rings, and the gravitational effects and resonances with nearby moons. During a close-encounter (say less than 40,000km) small discrepancies may cause the moons to start to slide out of the field-of-view of the narrow-angle camera depending on the trajectory of the approach. This has happened with imaging plans for Helene, Atlas, Daphnis and Aegaeon (Aegaeon was missed completely during its very close encounter) I imagine it's as challenging as looking through a pea-shooter at night and trying to keep a firefly in view.

This said, I think all would agree that an incredibly comprehensive reconnaissance of the Saturn system has been achieved in no small part by those responsible for writing the imaging sequences and those controlling Cassini's trajectory through the Saturn system.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Mar 15 2017, 01:14 AM
Post #68

Member No.: 5221

Thanks for the explanation, jasedm. I suppose closest approach probably gives so little time to make a large mosaic and be lucky enough to catch the moon. Near the periapse of Saturn orbit is a pretty different situation from the leisurely pace of Rosetta approaching 67P or Habausa and Itokawa...

On a related note, does the spacecraft still use the HGA as a shield whenever crossing the ring-plane, like during SOI in 2004? Is that why the Pan encounter movie has a break just before/after the ridge would be edge-on?

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Mar 15 2017, 05:24 PM
Post #69

Yes, I believe so.

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Mar 15 2017, 07:09 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 627

This SpaceFlightNow report by Stephen Clark mentions using the High Gain in ram mode during the Grand Finale portion staring in April

Perils and discoveries lie ahead for long-lived Saturn orbiter
https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/03/11/peril...saturn-orbiter/

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Mar 21 2017, 08:42 AM
Post #71

Member No.: 6842

A nice closeup of the rings taken on March 8th with Narrow Angle camera and red, green, and blue filters (with some colour adjustment from me to better approximate true colours):

Attached Image

As we're getting closer to the rings and start seeing large-scale clumps of material, I wonder how hard it will be to clean those images of artifacts while trying to preserve the graininess of the actual rings.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Mar 24 2017, 01:12 PM
Post #72

Member No.: 542

That is one impressive cloud streak in today's Titan images: https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/raw_images/409517
It was mentioned in Looking Ahead that these full phase images would be good for observing any opposition surge from Titan. I wonder if that's what the clouds in particular are showing here.

+Quote Post
titanicrivers
post Mar 25 2017, 12:39 AM
Post #73

Member No.: 4081

Very impressive cloud streaks indeed! There may be some cloud streak movement if one animates the first image taken at 8:05 am and the last one taken at 9:21 am. There is some space craft movement as well, but I think there's some counterclockwise movement of the streaks as well in a similar direction as noted last October on the 29th and 30th and beautifully shown here: http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/archive/PIA21051.gif
Attached Image

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Mar 26 2017, 01:04 PM
Post #74

Member No.: 6842

That's some impressive clouds! What I find interesting is that they are visible in the visible part of spectrum, and have a reddish colour:

A quick RGB stack with some colour adjustment
Attached Image

CB3/MT1 combo:
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Mar 27 2017, 02:14 AM
Post #75

Member No.: 321

Might the clouds appear reddish because they are truly white but are above a significant fraction of the atmosphere's methane, which absorbs red? In other words, are they perhaps less-blue rather than more-red?

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:52 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.