Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rtg, xtra go-juice
Marcel
post Jul 21 2005, 12:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 65

I wonder if a small RTG could help Phoenix through northern winter after its primairy mission (in order to keep it awake at minimum requirements for thermal and communication purposes), and what you'll think about that idea.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Analyst_*
post Jul 21 2005, 01:03 PM
Post #2

Guests

Sure it could. But it would cost a lot of money. Besides, launch is about two years away, the design is fixed, they are well in development and component testing.

No chance, forget it.

+Quote Post
Marcel
post Jul 21 2005, 01:21 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Analyst @ Jul 21 2005, 01:03 PM)
the design is fixed
No chance, forget it.

I understand that it would cost money. The question is how much.

The main two things that it would need is

+Quote Post
Marcel
post Jul 21 2005, 01:24 PM
Post #4

Oops, sorry, did not finish yet:

It needs:

1 Space to integrate
2 A connection to the main bus.

Et voila.

But you're probably right, it's too late. The thing's allready built.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 21 2005, 01:48 PM
Post #5

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

No money ( PHX has already dropped the active entry iirc, because the money simply isnt there)

No volume - already a tight squeeze inside the payload - which is way way beyond PDR, and thus not changeable.

No mass - it'll be calculated to the last kg - the launch vehicle is probably undergoing manufacture already - A Delta II - which flavour I'm not sure.

I think people very very easily underestimate the complexity of spacecraft.

And lest we forget - we dont NEED months and months of extended mission. Take the full panorama, do the trenching, enjoy the LIDAR - job done.

It's not like an extra year would be usefull so we can drive 5km to a different area...and NO...we cant put wheels on it smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
Marcel
post Jul 22 2005, 07:07 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 21 2005, 01:48 PM)
I think people very very easily underestimate the complexity of spacecraft.

I know exactly what you mean Doug. It was just an idea without me knowing much about the architecture of the lander itself. What was leading in the idea, is that an RTG is self sustaining: it doesn't need anything except a place (which is not available considering your reply) and a galvanic line to the bus (which shouldn't be a problem). The money however is always a "problem".

I'll forget about it.

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Jul 22 2005, 10:14 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 385

It would be interesting to know a bit more about the exotic source of energy RTG. I am ignorant of this and I would be appreciated if anyone can point any reference or any posting to describe the technicals details of that. So far I know that it would cost much and also weight and size. By how much?

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Jul 22 2005, 10:30 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (Marcel @ Jul 22 2005, 08:07 AM)
I know exactly what you mean Doug. It was just an idea without me knowing much about the architecture of the lander itself. What was leading in the idea, is that an RTG is self sustaining: it doesn't need anything except a place (which is not available considering your reply) and a galvanic line to the bus (which shouldn't be a problem). The money however is always a "problem".

I'll forget about it.

Marcel:

Not just the money, but the fissile material - believe it or not, fuel for RTGs is in short supply, and the New Horizons Pluto (and beyond!) vehicle was under quite a lot of pressure at one point due to the inability to get the thing fully topped off...

Interestingly, there are radionucleide heaters in the MER rovers, and even aboard Pathfinder - and there were tons of the things aboard Mars-96, now spread over the Andes... ...well, not actually tons, but it does give one pause for thought when the 'no-nukes' brigade pipe up!

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
deglr6328
post Jul 22 2005, 11:49 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 190

QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Jul 22 2005, 10:14 PM)
It would be interesting to know a bit more about the exotic source of energy RTG. I am ignorant of this and I would be appreciated if anyone can point any reference or any posting to describe the technicals details of that. So far I know that it would cost much and also weight and size. By how much?

Rodolfo

Check out the Wikipedia page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioisotope_...ctric_generator I think its quite nice (since I contributed quite a bit to it biggrin.gif ).

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Jul 23 2005, 03:06 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (deglr6328 @ Jul 22 2005, 06:49 PM)
Check out the Wikipedia page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioisotope_...ctric_generator  I think its quite nice (since I contributed quite a bit to it  biggrin.gif ).

deglr6328
Very good encyclopedia. biggrin.gif Very readable. cool.gif

Rodolfo

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:21 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.