6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Comanche
CosmicRocker
post Dec 24 2005, 06:01 AM
Post #76

Group: Members
Member No.: 116

I noticed them, too. I think Bill is correct. We've occasionally seen these things in previous MIs and even other cameras. My best guess is that these are specular reflections from shiny surfaces, quite possibly from some tiny crystal faces of the minerals comprising the rock.

If I had noticed such glints while inspecting a rock on earth with my hand-lens, I'd focus in on the spots to see if I could recognize the mineral.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Dec 24 2005, 07:27 PM
Post #77

Member No.: 618

I noticed them, too. I think Bill is correct. We've occasionally seen these things in previous MIs and even other cameras. My best guess is that these are specular reflections from shiny surfaces, quite possibly from some tiny crystal faces of the minerals comprising the rock.

Would you see such "sparklies" in earth-bound basalts? Or are we seeing some kind of appended salt crystal?
Shame we can't 'rat' this sucker and get some fresh views. It could be a real Christmas decoration! smile.gif I hope they TES it anyway, before we head for the "abyss" cool.gif

--------------------
My Grandpa goes to Mars every day and all I get are these lousy T-shirts!

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Dec 25 2005, 07:11 AM
Post #78

Member No.: 116

If the light is right, you might expect to see specular reflections from almost any clean rock surface, since most are composed of the cemented grains of individual mineral crystals. I'd be surprized if this was a basalt, though.

It could be a salt crystal, but it could really be most any kind of crystal. There's no telling, and no way to know what it is with the instruments available on the rover. All we can know is that it is a flat, reflective surface that sent a ray of sunlight into lens of the camera.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Dec 25 2005, 08:13 AM
Post #79

Member No.: 105

I doubt that the "crystal" is a salt. When I said "salt deposit" I meant more of an efflorescence, which I frequently see where mineralized phreatic water evaporating through a porous sandstone. I doubt that is happening here, but this was my first impression.

I've seen these strong mineral grain reflections many times, and this is puzzling to me since my mental image of Martian rocks is dusty and abraded and there _shouldn't _ be fresh surfaces. Nonetheless, they show up occasionally and I need to remove my blinders...

Once we know what the rock is we'll be able to make shrewd guesses as to what the crystal likely is.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
abalone
post Dec 25 2005, 11:08 AM
Post #80

Member No.: 409

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Dec 25 2005, 07:13 PM)
I doubt that the "crystal" is a salt.  .

I've seen these strong mineral grain reflections many times, and this is puzzling to me since my mental image of Martian rocks is dusty and abraded and there _shouldn't _  be fresh surfaces. 

Could be sapphires or rubies?, on Earth they are usually associated with basalts of some type. Unlikely but possible. More likely if not salts, to be rutile or ilmenite as some of the rocks are high in titanium and these are hard, weathering resistant minerals already identified in previous analysis I think??

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Dec 25 2005, 05:08 PM
Post #81

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

Pancam coverage to the northeast:

Happy Holidays!

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 1 2006, 05:23 PM
Post #82

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I'm returning to this thread to add a few polar projections from the approach to Comanche. They are all derived from the always excellent panoramas of jvandriel. I especially like the large area of bright bedrock on sol 693.

This first one is sol 692, downhill from Miami.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 1 2006, 05:26 PM
Post #83

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Here's sol 693. I really look forward to seeing detailed stratigraphic mapping of this area from stereo images. Hard to believe there's so much exposed bedrock.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:03 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.