Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Stratoscope Images
tedstryk
post Mar 2 2008, 01:19 PM
Post #1

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

I have dug a Stratoscope II view of Io from March 27, 1970. The original image was constructed from scanning 15 film images and stacking them (this was done at the time). UT time was somewhere between 0:15-2:00 (some of this would have been the time span of imagery, but part of the issue that creates the wide span here is contradictory sources. The phase angle was 290, if that helps. I based the reprojection at around 1:45, but I think I may have erred to the late side). I have posted my slightly enhanced version below, as well as a comparison with Voyager (the middle view is a degraded version of the Voyager view). Some albedo features are clearly consistent. I have also posted a link to a zip file where I put the image in the original form I got it in. There is also a stellar reference image. The resolution was determined to be about .1 arc seconds. The image is sensitive to roughly .38-.58 microns. Stratoscope II was a .9 meter balloon-borne telescope that took several flights in the 1960s and 70s (Stratoscope I was a balloon-borne solar telescope).

Files

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
tasp
post Mar 2 2008, 04:00 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 162

Thanx for revisiting Stratoscope.

I only recall seeing one other Stratoscope picture, the one of Uranus. I recall reading the Uranus pic showed the rings if you knew exactly where to look (they were not noted at the time) but in any reproduction I have seen, the rings remain elusive.

Interesing to see an Io picture, particularly in comparison to a deres'd Voyager one.

{any Pluto picture in the archive for Alan Stern ?? [smile] }

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:04 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.