IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Published images and APOD's by the UMSF family, - UMSF members make a difference in bringing Space to the public!
Guest_Oersted_*
post Jun 15 2008, 09:49 AM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Jun 13 2008, 11:26 AM) *
Sounds about right.

BTW, do my APOD images count? If so, and you can find which are mine, you get a cookie laugh.gif

Well, I'm overweight, so not pining for cookies smile.gif

Could you please offer some linkage?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Jun 15 2008, 09:59 AM
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Jun 12 2008, 07:09 PM) *
Via this topic I would like to thank those UMSF members again who helped me illustrate my yearly MER-articles for the monthly Spaceflight magazine of the British Interplanetary Society... we even made some cover(s) wink.gif

http://www.bis-spaceflight.com/sitesia.asp...id/1649/l/en-us

Added, thanks!

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Jun 17 2008, 09:17 AM
Post #18

Guests

QUOTE (ngunn @ Jun 16 2008, 11:14 AM) *
Here's why it's better. Draw a diagonal from top left to bottom right of the whole image and divide it in the golden ratio. You're right in the back of the scoop! Now add a vertical and a horizontal through that point (both similarly divided of course). The lower left rectangle neatly contains the solar panel. Next draw the diagonal of this rectangle and extend the line of the robot arm to meet it. There you have (more or less) a right angle close to bottom centre of the view - the two lander components, passive and active, (yin/yang?) counterposed in the most dramatic possible configuration. That's why this version, and Astro0's, works so well.

EDIT: You have to click on the APOD picture to get the whole composition - and to discover that it's James's mosaic.

And I've just added it to the "UMSF published Images and APODs thread":

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=5235

However, I now have a problem: I am not allowed to add more images to the first posting in that thread sad.gif

I wonder if it would be possible to make an exception to the posting rules, because I think it IS very helpful to have a single posting with all those pics.

Great job getting the APOD James!

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jun 17 2008, 10:17 AM
Post #19

Group: Members
Member No.: 542

QUOTE (Oersted @ Jun 17 2008, 10:17 AM) *
I wonder if it would be possible to make an exception to the posting rules, because I think it IS very helpful to have a single posting with all those pics.

Interesting policy question here. Doug, I know you've said in the past that UMSF is not intended as an archive or a reference source. Yet undoubtedly some of us use it as such from time to time. It strikes me that what Oersted wants to do here is indeed to create an archive - in this case one that is particularly pertinent to the expanding outreach function of this forum, and therefore a particularly worthy case.

Would you be willing to entertain the idea of a subforum called 'Archives' in which an individual member could, by agreement, set up and maintain a read-only thread of this kind? It seems to me that this would be ideal for what Oersted wants to do, and others may come up with their own equally deserving suggestions. A list of members willing to be identified as professionals involved in space missions might be one. A list of mentions of the forum in the professional literature might be another.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Jun 17 2008, 10:27 AM
Post #20

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

QUOTE (Oersted @ Jun 17 2008, 11:17 AM) *
However, I now have a problem: I am not allowed to add more images to the first posting in that thread sad.gif

Mmm, I see a problem with too many pictures: bandwidth. I, among others, have dial-up at home (still on the middle-age!!!) and the first post, even keeping the images at/around 100KB, takes a lot of time to load. I would suggest a different approach: Make a mosaic with all the pictures, include it on the first post, and change the current pictures by links.

Another idea: Change each image by a thumbnail linking to the real picture.

This post has been edited by Tesheiner: Jun 17 2008, 10:38 AM

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Jun 17 2008, 04:54 PM
Post #21

Guests

I'd like thumbnails, but that wouldn't change anything, since I've hit the ceiling on the number (not size) of pictures.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 17 2008, 08:17 PM
Post #22

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jun 17 2008, 10:27 AM) *
Mmm, I see a problem with too many pictures: bandwidth.

And, forum rules don't have exceptions. There isn't a magic ' except for this thread ' button on the rules. Do it in multiple posts. One post with a million images is not a forum post anymore - it's trying to make a web-page out of a forum post. A commendable thread, no doubt, but it's just not something the forum can accomodate. A forum wiki, however, would. That's a thought.

Doug

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jun 17 2008, 09:49 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 542

I hope there is a way forward for this worthy enterprise. Glad you're on the case Doug.

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Jun 17 2008, 10:15 PM
Post #24

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

I am delighted to be able to add one of my own images to this thread; namely my mosaic of the Apollo 15 landing site. Tony Reichhardt of Air & Space Magazine has written a piece detailing the recent photographic survey of Hadley Rille and its environs by the Japanese Kaguya probe:

http://www.airspacemag.com/space-explorati..._Revisited.html

Tony contacted me and kindly asked if he could use the mosaic in his article, which I readily agreed to in an instant:

http://www.airspacemag.com/photos?c=y&...9884&page=4

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Jun 17 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #25

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

I may have a possible solution.
Outside the forum a few of us have been talking about an Outreach resource website.
There are lots of members here who give talks and presentations and produce resources that I'm sure they'd be happy sharing.
A page that includes a gallery of UMSF created images that have appeared in publication is certainly something that I think fits into the Outreach category.
Rather than glogging up UMSF, the moderators could pin a thread for Outreach Resources, where such things could be discussed and then materials hosted through the proposed Outreach website.

What do you think?

Astro0

+Quote Post
hendric
post Jun 18 2008, 02:26 PM
Post #26

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

That would be a great idea. I think this would be a good thing for the Planetary Society to host, but it might be hard for them to allow random ppl to edit. I would love to be able to download Doug's, Stu's, etc. presentations, along with some of the awesome movies created here.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
dmuller
post Jun 19 2008, 12:59 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 4093

The Outreach resource website Astro0 is referring to can easily accommodate the indexing of such images and it can be searched by keyword etc. Since it's a ground-up design, it can also be modified. Thus indexing the images is definitely possible, I am just not sure how many supersized images it can hold on the server and bandwidth issues. The webhost as such is quite good but some of the images can be rather large

--------------------

+Quote Post
hendric
post Jun 19 2008, 07:56 PM
Post #28

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Server and bandwidth issues can easily fixed by throwing money at them. (Ask, and ye shall get paypal'ed!) The bigger concern is maintenance and governance. That's why I suggested TPS.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
dmuller
post Jun 22 2008, 06:15 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 4093

Something along these lines? (Sorry Stu for pinching your artwork)

Search results (search for +phoenix):
Attached Image

Item description:
Attached Image

Tags / keywords need to be managed for consistency (the more ye get paypal'ed the more ye have time to work on it ... also gives time for db maintenance etc). Server hosting can be outsourced. Governance would probably use a "moderated democratic" approach through feedback / rating / reporting.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 4 2008, 05:28 AM
Post #30

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Does having an image featured on spaceweather.com count..?

They've very kindly used a couple of my 3D Phoenix images today... smile.gif

Oh well, I'm proud of it, anyway...

--------------------

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:21 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.