Cape York - Shoemaker Ridge and the NE traverse, Starting sol 2735
Stu
post Oct 11 2011, 12:19 AM
Post #61

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Oct 10 2011, 08:10 PM) *
Now we know where it landed after it was sent spinning.

Close, Dan, but I think this is more likely...

Attached Image

tongue.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Oct 11 2011, 12:36 AM
Post #62

Group: Members
Member No.: 105

And the P2405 sequence images today from Sol -2739 named "Sutherland Knobbys" is to the southeast and shows just the edge of the rectangular lineations. They are still mostly hidden by the ridge.

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...G8P2405L2M1.JPG

and

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...G8P2405L2M1.JPG

"Sutherland Knobbys" is an interesting bit of Aussie history--

http://coalriver.wordpress.com/2011/08/18/...s-head-on-mars/

The prominent ridge in the second image is actually Sutherland Point in Botany Bay and Knobbys Head is behind it. Or so I think.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
eoincampbell
post Oct 11 2011, 12:38 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 3511

Don't want to Tar dis thread but... I hope we can investigate those features smile.gif ...

--------------------
'She drove until the wheels fell off...'

+Quote Post
fredk
post Oct 11 2011, 12:48 AM
Post #64

Member No.: 152

laugh.gif
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Oct 11 2011, 12:36 AM) *
And the P2405 sequence images today from Sol -2739 named "Sutherland Knobbys" is to the southeast and shows just the edge of the rectangular lineations. They are still mostly hidden by the ridge.
I'd say that pancam sequence is looking more S-SW, well away from the "lineations". But the lineations are just visible in the navcams, here:
Attached Image

Obviously we'll need pancams (or to drive closer!) to make out any detail.

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Oct 11 2011, 12:51 AM
Post #65

QUOTE (Ron_Hobbs)
Those 'rectangular lineations' look a lot like the cemented fractures in Gale Crater

May very well be-- my first thought on those was "cold water hydrothermal cementation along fractures", which is another way of saying "mineral-saturated groundwater once filled the fractures. The water deposited minerals on both sides of the opening". There have been several suggestions of "cold water hydrothermal" activity at Meridiani and this clinches it.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Oct 11 2011, 12:56 AM
Post #66

QUOTE (FredK)
I'd say that pancam sequence is looking more S-SW, well away from the "lineations".
Errr, could be. I'm getting a bit disoriented here, even with tracking data and orbital images.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
fredk
post Oct 11 2011, 01:24 AM
Post #67

Here's an identification of features to the NE, where the clay signatures lie:
Attached Image

(The inset is L/R registered average of the 2740 navcam, with 2x vertical stretch.)

The circled outcrops could be our first peek at the rocks we've been seeking for so long...

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Oct 11 2011, 01:33 AM
Post #68

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (fredk @ Oct 10 2011, 07:24 PM) *
Here's an identification of features to the NE, where the clay signatures lie:

Nice. And if it helps with orientation at all (which is indeed challenging), the 360 degree panorama I posted above is centered on north, as are the circular projections.

+Quote Post
walfy
post Oct 11 2011, 03:21 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 5161

Great new images of the Odyssey boulders have come down, looking forward to the mosaics (hope to learn how to make them myself one day). An example of the anaglyphs in store:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
fredk
post Oct 11 2011, 03:23 AM
Post #70

Yeah, I should say - I couldn't've made those ID's without your mosaic and the circular projections!

BTW, in case anyone isn't monitoring the website, the Endeavour approach movie has been compiled, with accelerometer soundtrack. Really nice.
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/newsroom/pr.../20111010a.html

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Oct 11 2011, 06:17 AM
Post #71

Member No.: 116

This paper associates phyllosilicates with polygonal lineations in HiRise imagery, and offers some other interesting observations regarding the directions that some of the layers dip.

3. Morphology and Stratigraphy
[10] Images of the phyllosilicate-bearing crater rim segments from the MRO High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) [McEwen et al., 2007] reveal layering and a range of polygonal textures (Figure 3a), similar in appearance to other phyllosilicate-bearing outcrops in Meridiani [Wiseman et al., 2008; Marzo et al., 2009] and many other locations on Mars [e.g., Wray et al., 2008; Bishop et al., 2008; Ehlmann et al., 2009]. Stereo views (Figure 3b) show that layers within the western rim dip away from the crater interior, as expected if the beds predate Endeavour crater and were back-tilted by the impact. In contrast, bright layers bounding many Endeavour rim segments [e.g., McEwen et al., 2009, Figure 29] dip down toward the crater interior; we cannot clearly determine whether these layers predate or postdate the impact based on orbital images.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
charborob
post Oct 11 2011, 12:32 PM
Post #72

Member No.: 3908

QUOTE (walfy @ Oct 10 2011, 11:21 PM) *
Great new images of the Odyssey boulders have come down, looking forward to the mosaics.

See this post.
QUOTE (walfy @ Oct 10 2011, 11:21 PM) *
(hope to learn how to make them myself one day).

Try, for example, Photoshop Elements. There are also other software, free and commercial, out there. A Google search will come up with plenty of information.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Oct 11 2011, 02:56 PM
Post #73

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Oct 11 2011, 06:17 AM) *
This paper associates phyllosilicates with polygonal lineations in HiRise imagery
Thanks for reminding us of that paper, Rocker. And Fig 3c in that paper shows the very polygons we're sitting next to right now!

So we know they'll be interested in them. And yesterday there was this cryptic message from Maxwell:
Driving Opportunity with Tara today. No real obstacles to avoid, but at least our path is zig-zaggy, a nice change of pace from the plains.
I can't wait to find out where we're going!

(Sorry I can't give the direct link to that post - I can't get them to work any more. Fixed.)

+Quote Post
Stu
post Oct 11 2011, 07:03 PM
Post #74

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Colour mosaic, showing lots of rugged rocky goodness...

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Oct 11 2011, 08:00 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 530

Are those clouds? I know the vertical stuff is dust, but there's a horizontal banding in there. Just fill?

+Quote Post

36 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:35 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.