IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Geomorphology of Cape York and Solander Point, Examining Opportunity's destination at Endeavour Crater
Stu
post Jul 6 2010, 07:52 PM
Post #1

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Everyone, say hello to Cape York... in colour...

Attached Image

Larger version on my blog: http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2010/...-york-in-colour

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jul 6 2010, 10:26 PM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 6 2010, 12:52 PM) *
Everyone, say hello to Cape York... in colour...

Thanks Stu. I've got my route and investigation sites all picked out. Only thing left now is getting my hands on the controls.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Jul 7 2010, 05:37 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 285

QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 6 2010, 01:52 PM) *
...Cape York... in colour...

This is a great picture, with fascinating geology going on.

For instance, being a crater rim, I would not expect neat layering; I find it difficult to explain the "ringing" about Cape York in a manner other than waterlines. I see at least 4 major levels. I'd love to see this in 3D.

At the upper end there is a steep wedge-shaped incision (see highlighted image below). Note that the wedge cuts through at least two of the "rings", and appears to project a fair distance to the north (?). I'm inclined interpret it as a landslide, but having difficulty with the mechanism; I suppose it could be an eroded fracture. In the highlighted image, the point of the wedge has its origin between the highlighted green and blue rings; this region is very smooth, such that I am tempted to interpret it as the remains of a beach. Sheer speculation, of course smile.gif Overall, the northern end of Cape York looks the most interesting, and I very much look forward to a pic from Oppy looking down on the Wedge.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 7 2010, 06:18 PM
Post #4

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Those rings - don't think waterlines, the topography doesn't work - it's on a slope. Think instead: a very ancient crater rim that has had multiple layers of sediment (ejecta, windblown sand or dust, volcanic ash, etc.) deposited, cemented by fluctuating ground waters, and then differentially eroded. We see the end product of multiple depositional and erosional events.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
walfy
post Jul 7 2010, 06:28 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5161

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 7 2010, 10:18 AM) *
We see the end product of multiple depositional and erosional events.

Eroded by wind only – is that right?

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Jul 7 2010, 06:33 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 285

This sounds sensible, with the caveat that slopes may be historically variable. You're almost certainly correct, though with the presence of groundwater presumed historically in the region where Oppy has heretofore traversed, and with (at least the interior of) Endeavour being dramatically lower, I would hesitate to definitively rule-out surface water until we get some on-the-ground verification. Aside from that, I'm still really intrigued by the Wedge.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jul 7 2010, 08:47 PM
Post #7

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (algorimancer @ Jul 7 2010, 10:37 AM) *
At the upper end there is a steep wedge-shaped incision (see highlighted image below).

With regard to the "wedge-shaped" cut...if you ask me I see a sinuous channel above the wedge and slightly east that you can follow up to the two depressions at the top of the formation. I've been staring at this for months and (call me crazy, go ahead) I can imagine the whole region covered in a slowly receding body of water.

The rim of Endeavour would at first have been something like a circular archipelago. As the water level receded you could see how two lagoons might have formed in those depressions. They might later have become lakes or ponds as the water receded almost to the base of Cape York. If something caused those those lagoons to drain suddenly to the north, you would get a meandering stream on the slope, but when it reached the steeper ledge of the apron it would have been a more energetic stream or even a waterfall that would have eroded backward creating the wedge.

You can also see how the channel becomes broader at the base of the cut where the slope becomes more gradual, creating something akin to an alluvial fan or a mini-delta. If you follow on past the wedge you can almost see a small round low lying basin next to a crater where the water might have collected before evaporating or settling into an underground water table.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jul 7 2010, 09:27 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 542

Somewhere we have already had a nice stratigrapher's resume of these features but the interpretation there was that the 'waterfall stream' arrived at the wedge after flowing round the E flank of Cape York where there is indeed what looks like a narrow channel where the hill slope meets the 'beach' platform. Can I find the post? No. sad.gif sad.gif

Anyone remember it? We could use a link back to that, and the discussion it was part of.

EDIT: Gottit!
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=156342

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Jul 7 2010, 10:04 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 105

+1 on Phil's observation: "Think instead: a very ancient crater rim that has had multiple layers of sediment ".

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 7 2010, 10:50 PM
Post #10

The Poet Dude

Some of you might find this useful... bit less blurry than the colour version...

http://twitpic.com/23b8o7

--------------------

+Quote Post
serpens
post Jul 8 2010, 03:46 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 4605

The rim of Endeavour is really eroded and the meridiani hematite sedimentary beds fill much of the interior floor. Since the crater is lower than the playa region examined to date is it beyond the bounds of possibility that Endeavour region did in fact have a shallow lake?

+Quote Post
brellis
post Jul 8 2010, 07:23 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 1700

The pic from Stu's post 570 sure makes the Wedge look more like a fracture than a tributary or conduit for water.

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Jul 8 2010, 07:26 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 105

Any possibilities are, well, possible. We'll need to see what the nature (stratigraphy, petrology and depositional environment) of the bedrock outcrops is as we travel downhill. Already we see subtle changes and the gross appearance from orbital imagery changes towards the East.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
Drkskywxlt
post Jul 8 2010, 02:35 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 1083

What are the approximate dimensions of Cape York? Length, height, width... Thanks!

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 8 2010, 03:15 PM
Post #15

The Poet Dude

VERY roughly, 660m long by 160m wide. Height? Image is too blurry on Google Earth to tell.

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:01 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.