IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

As the Shuttle Program nears its end..., ...lets look at something from the beginning.
gndonald
post Nov 14 2007, 02:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 442

I've been browsing the NTRS looking for pre-flight space shuttle artwork (Don't download anything from the JSC their scanner is blurry.) and I've found a few familiar friends there and one item that really stands out.

It's a picture of the Space Shuttle and the E.S.R.O. Spacelab... It's a picture that puts into full perspective just how long it took to get the shuttles flying and just how long they have been flying. (E.S.R.O became the ESA in 1974)
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
kspace
post Nov 18 2007, 08:59 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3963

I tried searching NTRS to see if I could find of the same, but could find nothing. Could you give me some hints on how to work the search or just share more.

That is and interesting picture for sure, and you are right about how much time and effort it touch. I remember see things about the shuttle when I was in grade school, years before it flew and I'm 44 now. It took alot to develope and test.

+Quote Post
gndonald
post Nov 19 2007, 12:54 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 442

QUOTE (kspace @ Nov 19 2007, 05:59 AM) *
I tried searching NTRS to see if I could find of the same, but could find nothing. Could you give me some hints on how to work the search or just share more.

That is and interesting picture for sure, and you are right about how much time and effort it took. I remember see things about the shuttle when I was in grade school, years before it flew and I'm 44 now. It took alot to develope and test.

I've got back to you and I hope you find what you are looking for. I thought I'd add three more artists impressions, all dating from the early-mid 1970's, from the ones I found.

The first is a rather evocative picture of the Space Shuttle mounted on the back of a 747, the second is a picture of the shuttle coming in to land at the Cape. The last shows the loading of the LDEF dating from the period when it was planned to launch it during a Spacelab mission.

What dreams we had...
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:14 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.