Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Thoughts on how to enhance an image
PFK
post Jun 10 2009, 10:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4121

Folks
This is certainly unrelated to UMSF (and I assume therefore not best placed in the image processing sub forum) but on the other hand is something that the massive collective experience and prowess of this place should be able to provide pertinent thoughts on (indeed I'm kicking myself for not thinking of asking earlier, having spent so long marvelling at the images generated here).
Take the following image:

Attached Image

It's actually faint text, and in fact should read the football results thus:
Arsenal 0 Sunderland 0
Aston Villa 0 Chelsea 1
So my question would be what techniques might best be used to manipulate such an image to make it as legible as possible?
The limit of my Photoshop ability is a simple contrast enhancement, but presumably we could be much smarter than that?
Why? I hear you ask....well it harks back to work we published in Chemical Communications last December where we showed that polymerisation of disulfur dinitride is stimulated by inkjet traces. Thus minute amounts of the latter prompt the formation of the dark polymer (SN)x; minute amounts such as the residue on the inside of an envelope which has contained an inkjet printed page. Thus in the above case the results from one saturday were printed out, placed in an envelope and then sent to ourselves. Upon opening the envelope and discarding the printed page, the inside of the envelope was exposed, part of which gave the image shown (which I have reversed from the actual mirror image generated).
This is one of the poorer examples, but I guess that makes it even more useful to work on.
Any thoughts welcome!
Thanks
PFK
PS What's even spookier is when you can image the contents of the envelope without opening it thanks to the even more minute amounts of inkjet diffusing right through - but that's another story smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
ElkGroveDan
post Jun 11 2009, 11:57 PM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

You might want to scan it at a very high resolution like 600-1200 dpi so we can apply a more subtler effect on a wider range of data points.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- PFK   Thoughts on how to enhance an image   Jun 10 2009, 10:18 PM
- - Juramike   That's a good problem and I'm interested t...   Jun 11 2009, 01:58 AM
- - Astro0   Photoshop only... Change mode to Greyscale Contras...   Jun 11 2009, 02:26 AM
|- - PFK   Many thanks folks, and any further thoughts from p...   Jun 11 2009, 07:53 PM
- - ElkGroveDan   You might want to scan it at a very high resolutio...   Jun 11 2009, 11:57 PM
|- - PFK   Ah, I did wonder about the resolution issue. Here ...   Jun 12 2009, 10:27 AM
- - PDP8E   Here is my shot at enhancing the image. I used the...   Jun 15 2009, 03:07 AM
|- - PFK   Many thanks for that - fascinating! I suspect...   Jun 16 2009, 10:16 AM
|- - PDP8E   Here is the enhancement on the higher res image......   Jun 19 2009, 03:38 AM
|- - PFK   Thanks again, that's very interesting. At the ...   Jun 19 2009, 03:54 PM
- - jekbradbury   Here are the two images processed with a "dec...   Jun 19 2009, 07:38 PM
- - ngunn   I'm not an 'admin' but I don't thi...   Jun 19 2009, 09:55 PM
|- - PFK   QUOTE (ngunn @ Jun 19 2009, 10:55 PM) I...   Jun 19 2009, 11:35 PM
- - Juramike   Another crack at the original: Recipe: Convert ...   Jun 19 2009, 10:39 PM
- - Juramike   Both images 8c and 9 needed a slight change in the...   Jun 20 2009, 12:30 AM
- - Juramike   Here is a difference image between Mark8c and Marc...   Jun 20 2009, 12:35 AM
- - Juramike   Animated GIF cycling through original (darker)--...   Jun 20 2009, 12:39 AM
- - Juramike   And now, one last blink comparing the (B&W con...   Jun 20 2009, 01:01 AM
|- - PFK   Excellent stuff Mike, thank you !   Jun 20 2009, 06:59 PM
|- - PDP8E   Here is the second high res image (converted to gr...   Jun 21 2009, 12:49 AM
- - jekbradbury   I wonder how useful it would be to apply one of th...   Jun 21 2009, 01:40 AM
- - PDP8E   jekbradbury, I am on it! back in a day or two...   Jun 21 2009, 01:52 AM
- - PDP8E   OK...I took the last big color image and took it a...   Jun 23 2009, 02:52 AM
- - PFK   again, fascinating stuff - thank you!   Jun 25 2009, 10:45 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:53 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.