Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pjam
post Apr 19 2010, 01:04 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 5247

Thanks for posting the article link!
...There's also a recent UMSF discussion on Triton's atmosphere and aerobraking where this 40 year seasonal variability in atm pressure might play into plans for aerobraking a spacecraft!
I wonder what the mechanism is for seasonal growth of atmosphere -is it mostly from sublimation or is there a major role for the geysers?
-pjam

--------------------
"We absolutely must leave room for doubt or there is no progress and there is no learning." -Richard P. Feynman

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Apr 19 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5221

QUOTE (pjam @ Apr 18 2010, 05:04 PM) *
I wonder what the mechanism is for seasonal growth of atmosphere -is it mostly from sublimation or is there a major role for the geysers?

If it's anything like Enceladus (which is a stretch I admit), then their activity would effect the density of the atmosphere.
Of course, there are no other large moons in the Neptune system to to cause big tides, and there's almost no eccentricity either.

+Quote Post
Drkskywxlt
post Apr 20 2010, 12:21 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1083

QUOTE (pjam @ Apr 18 2010, 08:04 PM) *
-pjam

From the article:
As Triton's southern hemisphere warms up, a thin layer of frozen nitrogen, methane, and carbon monoxide on Triton's surface sublimates into gas, thickening the icy atmosphere as the season progresses during Neptune's 165-year orbit around the Sun. A season on Triton lasts a little over 40 years, and Triton passed the southern summer solstice in 2000.

Based on the amount of gas measured, Lellouch and his colleagues estimate that Triton's atmospheric pressure may have risen by a factor of four compared to the measurements made by Voyager 2 in 1989, when it was still spring on the giant moon.

I can't imagine what mechanism would make the geysers seasonal on their own. More likely they're due to internal processes.

+Quote Post
Rob Pinnegar
post Apr 23 2010, 02:54 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 426

QUOTE (Drkskywxlt @ Apr 19 2010, 05:21 PM) *
I can't imagine what mechanism would make the geysers seasonal on their own. More likely they're due to internal processes.

That's certainly possible; however, I seem to remember reading at one time that they could also be due to solar heating.

It's been a long time since then, but I think the basic idea was that some sunlight could be getting through the top layer of ice, and warming the nitrogen beneath it. Phil, do you remember this one?

+Quote Post
john_s
post Apr 23 2010, 05:35 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 117

That's right- in that case they would be quite similar to the "arachnoid" features seen on the subliming Martian polar cap.

The problem is that we have almost no data on the Triton plumes- just a handful of very low resolution images and some poorly-constrained models. My money is on the plumes being essentially meteorological (in the broad sense of including seasonal frost phenomena) rather than geological. I'm not yet ready to include Triton with Earth, Io, and Enceladus in the club of worlds proven to be currently geologically active.

John

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 23 2010, 06:09 PM
Post #7

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

"the basic idea was that some sunlight could be getting through the top layer of ice, and warming the nitrogen beneath it. Phil, do you remember this one?"

Yes, Rob - it was called a solid-state greenhouse, I think, though that term has been used for other places like Europa as well. I agree with John that it's premature to call Triton geologically active, though it's clearly been active in the not too distant past. It looks quite a bit older than Europa, but not as old as Ganymede (recognizing the limitations of our imaging coverage). But it's quite active in an atmosphere-surface-solar heating sense - there of course it's far ahead of Europa. Winds, plumes, frosts etc. Truly a fascinating place. Gotta go back!

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Apr 23 2010, 06:26 PM
Post #8

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Apr 23 2010, 07:09 PM) *
I agree with John that it's premature to call Triton geologically active

Phil

Well, it does strain the category. It can definitely be said that it is premature to say that it has endogenically driven geologic activity. However, plumes shooting up out of the ground, even if exogenically powered, doesn't really fit into the category that we normally think of when we think of atmospheric activity either. To put it another way, Triton definitely seems to have some active geologic processes, but these processes may be exogenically powered. The best analog might be a comet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 23 2010, 07:17 PM
Post #9

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Interesting distinctions emerging: geologically "exoactive" vs. "endoactive" worlds. Io is manifestly exoactive, so when discussing Triton aren't we talking about differences in magnitude of activity rather than anything else?

Seems as if endoactivity requires a body of a certain size. Earth & probably Venus are currently endoactive, Mars once was, might still be at very low levels. Io, Enceladus & Triton are exoactive, maybe Pluto will prove to be as well (solar heating + tidal effects from Charon?); Titan might be either a borderline or hybrid case.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Apr 23 2010, 08:19 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 542

I agree these categories trigger interesting trains of thought. I suspect though the primary distinction for most planetary scientists would be between activity arising from an internal heat source, however generated, and processes driven by sunlight. True, tidal heating comes from outside, but in the widest sense so does the radioactivity from heavy atoms produced in a supernova. So I think there are two separate questions to ask of any candidate world:

When and how did/do you acquire the energy that drives your active processes?
What materials are involved in the activity and over what range of temperatures?

+Quote Post
john_s
post Apr 23 2010, 09:29 PM
Post #11

If we're lucky, New Horizons will find analogous plumes on Pluto and will give us much better data on them than Voyager could do at Triton. Though it's more likely that Pluto will come up with its own quite different but equally bizarre phenomena to amaze us.

John

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 23 2010, 09:42 PM
Post #12

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Yeah...if there's anything like a consistent truism in planetary exploration it's that if we expect A, admit that B is possible, what we actually find is X... smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
john_s
post Apr 23 2010, 10:58 PM
Post #13

And then of course we find A somewhere else entirely. It's been said that all hypothesized solar system phenomena turn out to be real, just not necessarily on the worlds where they were first proposed. Thus we find Percival Lowell's canals on Europa, not Mars; Transient Lunar Phenomena on Io, not our own moon; lakes of exotic liquid on Titan, not Triton; high-albedo volcanic plains on Mercury, not our Moon, and so on.

John

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Apr 24 2010, 01:40 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 197

We'll probably discover the Sirens on Ceres then.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Apr 24 2010, 03:40 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 105

Who? wink.gif

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:24 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.