IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mars Science Laboratory Website, Now online...
Redstone
post Jan 13 2006, 05:29 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 191

Back from a non-internet-connected holiday, I was surfing around and found JPL has launched the MSL website.

Here it is:http://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/index.html

This is a big improvement over the one page we have had for some time. Naturally, some parts need fleshing out, but there is a page for every instrument, along with summaries of the mission goals and objectives. I have not read through all of it yet, but look forward to discussion of what we can uncover here. smile.gif

And I love this picture. MSL is gonna be BIG cool.gif

Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
deglr6328
post Jan 13 2006, 08:27 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 190

I wonder why they're still using solid metal for the wheels instead of tires. I think in Mishkin's "sojourner" book he talks about how they were contemplating using tires even back then.

+Quote Post
dot.dk
post Jan 13 2006, 08:30 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 107

QUOTE (deglr6328 @ Jan 13 2006, 08:27 AM)
I wonder why they're still using solid metal for the wheels instead of tires. I think in Mishkin's "sojourner" book he talks about how they were contemplating using tires even back then.

You wouldn't want to get a puncture on Mars would you? huh.gif

And how would you handle the lower pressure?

--------------------
"I want to make as many people as possible feel like they are part of this adventure. We are going to give everybody a sense of what exploring the surface of another world is really like"
- Steven Squyres

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Jan 13 2006, 10:30 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (dot.dk @ Jan 13 2006, 09:30 AM)
You wouldn't want to get a puncture on Mars would you?  huh.gif

And how would you handle the lower pressure?

The lower pressure issue was dealt with on Apollo 14, when the MET tyres were *deflated* relative to normal atmospheric pressure prior to launch, and once in space they 'reinflated' back to a tyre shape.

As for punctures, that's surely more of a problem - the temperatures on Mars would make many flexible materials brittle and prone to leaks, and I imagine that a nicely designed solid metal wheel could also be rather light, too.

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 13 2006, 11:06 AM
Post #5

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

And, to be honest, I think you could make an all metal wheel lighter than a pneumatic one. You've got to make a metal hub for the pneumatic wheel anyway, might as well make it a bit bigger and forego the risk of puncture, deflation etc.

Doug

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Jan 13 2006, 12:22 PM
Post #6

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

The in wheel suspension looks very complex, hope they can withstand the shock of landing, if this is indeed the final wheel design.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Guest_exobioquest_*
post Jan 15 2006, 01:32 AM
Post #7

Guests

Ok some questions here:

WHAT! they still have not settled on a power source? Solar is still a option! that is a dam sham!

and

Does anyone want to help update: Wiki MSL

that it for now.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 15 2006, 04:18 AM
Post #8

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

QUOTE (Redstone @ Jan 12 2006, 10:29 PM)
And I love this picture. MSL is gonna be BIG  cool.gif

Attached Image

Yes it is! Also from the new MSL site:

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jan 15 2006, 04:57 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 15

Yes, MSL is a good amount larger than MER. But MER, to me, is more aesthetically pleasing -- like a Lambourghini set up next to a Volvo.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Guest_exobioquest_*
post Jan 15 2006, 05:13 AM
Post #10

Guests

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Jan 14 2006, 10:57 PM)
Yes, MSL is a good amount larger than MER.  But MER, to me, is more aesthetically pleasing -- like a Lambourghini set up next to a Volvo.

-the other Doug

Or maybe it just because in this image MER is graphically illustrated with far more detail and color then MSL. tongue.gif

I think MSL will be beautiful (even if it has a MMRTG instead of a SRG) but I don’t want to imagine what it would look like with solar panels, probably like a 6 wheeled volkswagen beetle with lawn chairs hanging all over its top, fing fugly!

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 15 2006, 08:29 AM
Post #11

Merciless Robot

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Jan 14 2006, 09:57 PM)
Yes, MSL is a good amount larger than MER.  But MER, to me, is more aesthetically pleasing -- like a Lambourghini set up next to a Volvo.

-the other Doug

Well, if they end up selecting solar power then MSL might ultimately look a lot more like a big MER...but I'll take self-contained, reliable long-term power over esthetics any day! tongue.gif

The top deck of MSL sure looks empty, though, doesn't it? This has to be an early concept drawing; all that surface real estate will surely be utilized for something!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 15 2006, 09:05 AM
Post #12

Founder

QUOTE (nprev @ Jan 15 2006, 08:29 AM)
all that surface real estate will surely be utilized for something!

Take away the solar arrays, and MER's deck has the Pancam Mast, HGA, LGA, UHF, Calib Target, Mini-TES calib target and a load of hold-down-bolts. The only thing the MSL deck is missing in the drawings is UHF, LGA and Calibration targets really. It's not out of the question that the UHF might end up on top of the pancam assembly, and the LGA be forgoed alltogether. Just because there is some space there doesnt mean it has to be used for something.

I've not seen anything, anywhere, that suggests MSL WON'T be using RTG-type power and I've seen nothing anywhere that suggests is WILL be using solar power.

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_exobioquest_*
post Jan 15 2006, 05:26 PM
Post #13

Guests

Well I'm sure the top is not going to be bare metal like that, in some of the design picture I see suspension structure and anchoring/loading points. So there going to be some bolts and texture at least.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 15 2006, 08:51 PM
Post #14

Merciless Robot

QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 15 2006, 02:05 AM)
Take away the solar arrays, and MER's deck has the Pancam Mast, HGA, LGA, UHF, Calib Target, Mini-TES calib target and a load of hold-down-bolts.  The only thing the MSL deck is missing in the drawings is UHF, LGA and Calibration targets really.  It's not out of the question that the UHF might end up on top of the pancam assembly, and the LGA be forgoed alltogether. Just because there is some space there doesnt mean it has to be used for something.

I've not seen anything, anywhere, that suggests MSL WON'T be using RTG-type power and I've seen nothing anywhere that suggests is WILL be using solar power.

Doug

Glad to hear about the power source selection, Doug; there's a whole other thread running wild with speculation on that, so it's hard to separate rumor from fact.

With respect to the RTGs, then, are they perhaps slated for installation on the top deck? I can see some possible design reasons for that with respect to heat management and minimizing the use of structurally vulnerable booms, but the tradeoff would be elevating the vehicle CG...

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 15 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #15

Founder

All the design stuff I've seen has the RTG sticking out the back

Doug

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:50 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.