2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Young And Old, Come one, come all...
ilbasso
post Dec 3 2005, 09:13 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

I suffered from depression when I was in high school (1970-1974). What frequently kept me going was telling myself that I had to live at least until I saw the pictures of Saturn from Pioneer 10...then Voyager's views of Uranus, then Neptune. Anyway, that sure kept me motivated. Now I suppose that I can say I have to keep going at least until I see NH's photos of Pluto!

I was seriously hoping we'd see men on the moon again in my lifetime but now I'm not so sure. Last night, I was watching the special features section of the "Apollo 13" movie DVD, and it was mentioned that Dave Scott doesn't believe man will walk on the Moon again for another 100-150 years. Wow, that's a sobering thought - but he's more in the know than I am.

If I had to dream, maybe it would be for us to detect some sort of signal from another system, that we'd land probes on Europa, and that we find evidence of life on Mars (via a robotic probe, no doubt).

Think any of us will witness the de-orbiting of the ISS?

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Dec 4 2005, 08:33 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 12

I was born in 1982, the same year as KSR's fictional 'first man on Mars', John Boone. I now imagine the first person on Mars to be somewhat younger than me... about 8, maybe.

I like to think I'll see an image of a terrestrial exoplanet at a resolution of <500km/pixel in my lifetime.

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Dec 5 2005, 12:00 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (ilbasso @ Dec 3 2005, 10:13 PM)
Think any of us will witness the de-orbiting of the ISS?

It's in the EOM plan, believe it or not - but I'd wager that some form of international consortium keeps it up for quite a while...

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Dec 5 2005, 12:08 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 174

Solar System Encyclopedis, 2115 edition:

"International Space Station Alpha was finally deorbited into the Pacific Ocean after 75 years in orbit, first serving as an international science and space technology laboratory and tax sink, before being privitized in 2023, and serving a second life as a space manufacturing and industrial research facility. When industrial operations shifted to privately launched facilities and funding for the ISS dried up in 2045, the station was sold to the highest bidder and operated as a space torism center for another 15 years before a final change of ownership, and a last career as a zero-G brothel."

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Dec 5 2005, 01:44 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 105

I was 8 years old when Sputnik was launched, 11 when Echo was visible, was a teenager during Gemini, was in College during Apollo, graduated College during Viking, established a career during the Shuttle, working, married, divorcing during Voyager and almost ready to retire during the MER program.

Who knows what is next?

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
um3k
post Dec 5 2005, 03:48 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 372

I'm 16. I hope to see everything.

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Dec 5 2005, 07:15 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 103

When I was 16, I hoped to see everything, too--but after you've seen enough naked people the excitement begins to wear off.

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
um3k
post Dec 6 2005, 04:12 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 372

QUOTE (ilbasso @ Dec 5 2005, 02:15 PM)
When I was 16, I hoped to see everything, too--but after you've seen enough naked people the excitement begins to wear off.

biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Dec 6 2005, 06:13 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 430

QUOTE (ilbasso @ Dec 3 2005, 04:13 PM)
I was seriously hoping we'd see men on the moon again in my lifetime but now I'm not so sure.  Last night, I was watching the special features section of the "Apollo 13" movie DVD, and it was mentioned that Dave Scott doesn't believe man will walk on the Moon again for another 100-150 years.  Wow, that's a sobering thought - but he's more in the know than I am. 

And an English scientist once said that the concept of space travel was "utter bilge" - in 1956.

Amusingly, when Sputnik 1 began orbiting Earth just one year later, some English newspapers had the headline "Utter Bilge Circles Earth".

I too hope to see many space milestones in my lifetime that I was promised back in the glory days of Apollo. My concern, though, is that if we rush too fast - in particular placing humans on Mars - we may end up with another Flag and Footprints scenario and have our descendants whining about no followup to Project Ares 50 years from now.

Then again, maybe we do need to rush to get at least some of us on other worlds to keep the species going, in case we do something really stupid to strand us on Earth or wipe ourselves out completely.

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
silylene
post Dec 6 2005, 09:33 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 111

I am 47, born in 1958.

I have always been fascinated with space and ate up every shred of informatin I could get from TV, newspapers, magazines, libraries, etc. I have distinct memories of most of the Gemini missions, all the Apollo's (I cried when the astronauts died in the Apollo 1 fire) and I knew every astronaut's name and background for every mission. I remember the Surveyors, the Vikings, the Venera's, the Vega's, Lunakhod, Skylab, Salyut, and I was starting grad school when Pioneer passed Saturn. I grew up in New Orleans East, only a few miles from Michoud, and I could hear the Saturn engines being test fired at the range almost weekly when I was a boy. The roar was deafening, even at our distance.

I stayed up all night to watch Walter Cronkite and listen to everything that happened with Apollo 11. I couldn't sleep if I wanted! I still have photographs of our TV screen from Apollo 11.

When Apollo 13 had its crisis, I took a newpaper clipping of it to school for our "current events class". I remember my teacher telling me I broke our class rule by bringing "bad news events" to school, and she refused to allow it to be discussed when I started reading it. What a twit.....

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 12 2005, 08:49 AM
Post #26

Guests

I'm alsmost 40 years old ( Midlife biggrin.gif ? ) and the very first thing I really recall is watching the Viking Landers on Mars as a 10-year old it sparkeled my intrest cool.gif

I certainly hope to see a manned mission to Mars in my lifetime rolleyes.gif
Philip
mars.gif

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Dec 15 2005, 03:46 PM
Post #27

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

31, 1974

Hope I'll see the first man on another planet, Mars.
And would die for testifying Contact with other evolved civilization in my lifetime,
maybe then there was a secret to keep me alive, watching the marvels to come... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:34 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.