3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
HST Albedo Map Processing
JRehling
post Jul 29 2015, 11:11 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 321

That's all fair and well; making the process more mature, one would define the parameters distinguishing one situation from another. e.g., Mercury at high phase angle, Mars at high phase angle, Iapetus at high phase angle, Mercury at low phase angle, etc. (Certainly, resolution is another important determiner of context: Rough at one resolution is smooth at another.)

Then, for any given image, you could say, here's a P% increase in resolution assuming a [KNOWN WORLD]-like surface at this phase angle, and whatever one sees or doesn't see, the prediction is appropriately contextualized. If the assumption is correct, the prediction should be correct. If we know that the assumption is questionable, then we know that the prediction is questionable.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_alex_k_*
post Jul 30 2015, 11:56 AM
Post #32

Guests

QUOTE (ZLD @ Jul 29 2015, 10:20 PM) *
Also, finally got around to looking through the paper. If I am understanding correctly, the very orange image is based on a 6x1 pixel image and then stretched out.

I understand it's an estimation - i.e. if to downsample the "ground thruth" image to 6x1 they will be comparable. And I think the authors underestimated the resulted image, because it has frequency structure that allowed to perform the extrapolation.

QUOTE (ZLD @ Jul 29 2015, 10:20 PM) *
I could see their method being pretty useful in observing exoplanets if the resolution can hit a few pixels across.

Yes, I think the method should be very promising for approximate mapping of exoplanets, Kuiper belt objects, etc. I'm sure it can be modified not only for 1 pixel observation but for 2x2 and any other resolution available from HST for the object. Having quality models and adequate algorithms it's possible to extract rich information even from several pixels.

upd: Most probably, original resolution of the "orange" image was 60x30 px.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:31 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.