9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MECA (microscope) Images
Astro0
post May 30 2008, 08:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

Doug I know this isn't exactly a "sub-element activity", but it's certainly a small image.
Can someone tell us anything about this MECA plaque. They don't seem to have captured the entire thing in their shots and it would be nice to fill in some of the blanks. I've inserted some assumptions in the attached merged image.
Just love these sort of personal touches which have stories linked to them. My name is on the mini-DVD...who else on UMSF signed up?
Attached Image

Astro0
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post May 30 2008, 08:27 AM
Post #2

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

--Split MECA posts to a dedicated thread

I'm on the DVD smile.gif

I read about the MECA plaque a while back, now where was it?...

Ah yes the BBC Phoenix blog (near the bottom):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7408033.stm

Our colleagues and family will be there, including the "Meca babies" born to our instrument team in the years it has taken to prepare for the mission.

Their names, together with those of our colleagues who did not live to see Phoenix launch, form part of an eyetest chart

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
Skyrunner
post May 30 2008, 08:54 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 3683

QUOTE (Astro0 @ May 30 2008, 10:19 AM) *
My name is on the mini-DVD...who else on UMSF signed up?

Ehhh...about everyone I suppose...Certainly my name is on it. Next time we should get our name on it automatically since we're UMSF rolleyes.gif VIP treatment.

--------------------
Error: Life.sys corrupted
( R )eflect, ( R )epend, or ( R )eboot?

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post May 30 2008, 09:05 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 16

Just join the Planetary Society to get that treatment. smile.gif

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 30 2008, 09:08 AM
Post #5

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I assume everyone here is a member already. If they're not, they damn well should be. As a Brit who can't pay US taxes, it's the only thing I can do to contribute in a meaningful way to this sort of stuff.

Doug

+Quote Post
ahecht
post May 30 2008, 01:45 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4145

It's amazing to think that some of the MECA babies are now 10 years old (although technically they were born during the creation of the Mars Environmental Compatibility Assessment for the canceled Mars Surveyor 2001, not the Microscopy, Electrochemistry, and Conductivity Analyzer for Phoenix -- same basic instrument, different name)

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post May 30 2008, 02:08 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (djellison @ May 30 2008, 04:08 AM) *
I assume everyone here is a member already. If they're not, they damn well should be. As a Brit who can't pay US taxes, it's the only thing I can do to contribute in a meaningful way to this sort of stuff.

Doug

Doug, if you really want to pay US taxes, I'll be glad to work out a plan by which you can help me "contribute."

Jonathan

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
imipak
post May 30 2008, 10:35 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 617

I'm on the DVD, and I'm both happy and embarrassed to say that it was a pointy remark from Mr Ellison on UMSF that prompted me to join in the first place, and to punt funds at various other related projects.

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post May 31 2008, 04:32 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 116

My name is on the disk, as are the names of everyone in my immediate family. It's kind of like riding in economy class. It would be so much nicer to have a place in first class, the plaque on the lander. wink.gif

As for the microscopic imager, does anyone know what it was that it recently imaged?

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 31 2008, 08:32 AM
Post #10

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

It'll have imaged the sample collecting areas on the disk as a baseline before covering them in 'stuff' I would have thought. I was suprised we didn't see a OM guy at the press conf yesterday.

Doug

+Quote Post
ustrax
post May 31 2008, 02:02 PM
Post #11

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

Even my dogs are there... smile.gif
My dearest Lhoba and Mr. Bingo who, having passed away without witnessing the arrival of Phoenix but that makes me dream that there he is...quite happy and ready to dig all the way to the ice... biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
ahecht
post Jun 5 2008, 09:11 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 4145

The first optical microsope images of Mars dust have been posted at http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/phoenix/main.php

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jun 5 2008, 09:46 PM
Post #13

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

I'm looking forward to the informed discussion here on UMSF about just what these images show, because, hands up, I haven't a clue. They look fascinating, but as for what's in them... blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jun 5 2008, 09:58 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 152

At today's press conference they more or less said that they are probably grains kicked up by the exhaust during landing, but they can't be sure they're of Martian (rather than Phoenix) origin until they grab what they know is a Martian sample with the arm and look at it. There was some discussion of the white grain (definitely not ice - it would have sublimed before the image was taken).

+Quote Post
Gray
post Jun 6 2008, 08:09 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 34

Wow. These are very interesting images of possible martian sedimentary particles. It's really hard to say too much about "grains mounts" such as this. You can look at the grain shape, it's opacity, and it's color - but it's hard to make any comprehensive analyses based on only that information.

A grain that is interesting to me is the pinkish, rectangularly shaped one that is "southeast" of the middle grain noted in the microscopic image. Halite frequently shows up as rectangular grains and can be stained pinkish by hematite - but then, other minerals can be pinkish and rectangular too. (shrug)

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:09 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.