Post #31

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

QUOTE (Pertinax @ Jul 9 2008, 07:59 PM) *
And altitude?

-- Pertinax

I'm pretty sure it's touching the surface. smile.gif

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Jul 10 2008, 10:13 AM
Post #32

Group: Members
Member No.: 13

QUOTE (Juramike @ Jul 9 2008, 11:44 PM) *

Although the present "altitude" reported by the PDS NAIF spice kernel (not sure how accurate) is -2.4 km! That may be correct, insofar as the zero-altitude reference is an idealized tri-axial ellipsoid, which no planet actually fits. So that would place the Phoenix landing site elevation somewhat below mean sea level, so to speak.

If I recall correctly, in one of the early press conferences Peter Smith mentioned that liquid water is actually stable in the landing area, due to the low elevation.

The lat and lon reported by the spice kernel is 66.217N 243.692E, but how accurate that is I don't know (predicted, actual, tentative?).

--------------------

+Quote Post
akuo
post Jul 10 2008, 10:26 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 63

The position was already reported in an earlier post on this forum smile.gif
68.218830N 234.250778E, IAU 2000 Areocentric

--------------------
Antti Kuosmanen

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Jul 10 2008, 10:59 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 174

At approximately 0 km elevation, the average pressure corresponds to the triple point of water (approximately, and not including seasonal atmosphere pressure variations). So at -100 meters (if this were exact and my arm waving numbers were exact), water 1/2 degree above freezing would not boil. It would evaporate damn fast, though, under most plausible conditions. At lower elevations, water some 5 to 10 deg F <half that for C> above freezing would not boil.

Regardless, it's REAL hard for plausible normal <not impact, for example> processes to supply enough energy to ice at the martian surface to melt it any faster than the water would likely evaporate.

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Jul 10 2008, 11:00 AM
Post #35

QUOTE (akuo @ Jul 10 2008, 06:26 AM) *
The position was already reported in an earlier post on this forum smile.gif

Thanks--is that link correct? The original reference doesn't seem to be there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
akuo
post Jul 10 2008, 11:08 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 63

Works for me. I guess this is another way to put it:
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=115817

--------------------
Antti Kuosmanen

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Jul 10 2008, 01:33 PM
Post #37

Hmmm... still don't see it. Anyway, the location you quoted is very plausible based on NAIF spice kernels having MRO pointing squarely at that point at 26MAY2008 22:04:30. The published photo that MRO took of the lander on the ground is stated to have been taken 22 hours after landing (25MAY2008 23:46), so that fits.

Here's a simulation of the view from MRO at that instant, with the HIRISE look direction marked with crosshairs (MGS 200m mosaic, equalized):

HIRISE had moved pretty far off-nadir to take that shot.

I still wonder if part of that mosaic was taken when there were significant clouds over the Phoenix site, and another part when it was clear.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pertinax
post Jul 10 2008, 06:09 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 181

QUOTE (Juramike @ Jul 9 2008, 11:44 PM) *

laugh.gif Thank you Juramike! rolleyes.gif

I think I might have misunderstood the initial question, thinking that is was asking if the Lat/Lon (and altitude) of Phoenix in flight at the instant MRO captured it was pin-pointed yet.

-- Pertinax

+Quote Post
kwan3217
post Jul 30 2008, 04:02 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 477

I just did my hourly check of the spice kernels at NAIF and found that the EDL reconstruction is posted!

http://naif.jpl.nasa.gov/naif/data_mars.html, phoenix/ck/phx_edl_rec_att.bc, phoenix/spk/phx_edl_rec_traj.bsp

Now all we need is an exact time for the entry parachute photograph and we can tell everything about it.

+Quote Post
dmuller
post Jul 31 2008, 12:02 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 4093

QUOTE (kwan3217 @ Jul 31 2008, 02:02 AM) *
Now all we need is an exact time for the entry parachute photograph and we can tell everything about it.

I havent had a look at it nor do I know what these files show (too busy at the moment), but parachute deploy should show a big spike in deceleration

--------------------

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Jul 31 2008, 01:24 AM
Post #41

QUOTE (dmuller @ Jul 30 2008, 08:02 PM) *
parachute deploy should show a big spike in deceleration

Good thought. Here's a graph of the speed and acceleration:

But where along there did MRO take the picture? Anybody know the lat/lon of Heimdal Crater?

--------------------

+Quote Post
gallen_53
post Jul 31 2008, 02:15 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 24

QUOTE (kwan3217 @ Jul 30 2008, 04:02 PM) *
I just did my hourly check of the spice kernels at NAIF and found that the EDL reconstruction is posted!

http://naif.jpl.nasa.gov/naif/data_mars.html, phoenix/ck/phx_edl_rec_att.bc, phoenix/spk/phx_edl_rec_traj.bsp

I also downloaded the files "phx_edl_rec_att.bc" and "phx_edl_rec_traj.bsp". They're binary files. What code did you use to get them into a readable form?

+Quote Post
gallen_53
post Jul 31 2008, 02:22 AM
Post #43

Hold on, I just found the NAIF website at http://naif.jpl.nasa.gov/naif/toolkit_C_PC..._GCC_32bit.html . I'm downloading the SPICE toolkit tarball while writing this post.

I just got the SPICE tool kit package up and running but it's not friendly. I want the tool kit to translate the Phoenix binary data files into text files describing the vehicle's trajectory in the inertial frame. How do I do that? Does the SPICE database only model the trajectory as a 3-DoF point mass or does it include 6-DoF information from the vehicle's IMU? Thanks!

+Quote Post
kwan3217
post Jul 31 2008, 04:07 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 477

I use the NAIF spice toolkit and IDL, but the one for C works fine too. the .bsp file includes the position and speed (and Spice will convert it to any coordinate system you feel like) while the .bc file contains orientation. Together it is 6DoF.

Look up examples on the NAIF site for spkezr_c for the position stuff.

+Quote Post
gallen_53
post Jul 31 2008, 06:35 AM
Post #45

Thank you. I'll try it in the morning. Do you know where to find the Phoenix mass model, i.e. moments and products of inertia, center of gravity, etc.? Is there an aerodynamic model specific to the Phoenix 70 deg. aeroshell including Cm, Cmq, etc. accessible on the web? This information would be in the Lockheed-Martin databook for Phoenix but they're probably keeping it close to their vest. Thanks again.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:54 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.